Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

operational problems with the A380...again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

operational problems with the A380...again!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:09 am

I expect THAI will be recovering the fare difference refunds and additional compensation for inconvenience to downgraded pax from Rolls Royce.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Looks like TG676/676 (to/from Narita) is now switched from A380 to 747 (and not as announced as 77W) to cater F passengers as well. J passengers will probably not be amused but as it is a day flight, I would not bother too much
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by BinSabai
for those who have reservations on flights with A380 coming days:
two A380 on ground since 3 resp. 5 days. Flight to Paris postponed from midnight to morning two days in a row...
That's outrageous. I don't know what's going on (I got conflicting info). The flight purser onboard one of the TG930 which got delayed by 7 hours in February mentioned that additional boroscoping had to be done on the engines. No clue as whether it is related to the corruption issues re: the Rolls Royce procurement contract (as reported in the news) or just poor planning by TG. Remember that there were dispatch issues on 12-20 November. Three times in a row in 4 months... good way to alienate your F pax ex-BKK.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Disinto
That's outrageous. I don't know what's going on (I got conflicting info). The flight purser onboard one of the TG930 which got delayed by 7 hours in February mentioned that additional boroscoping had to be done on the engines. No clue as whether it is related to the corruption issues re: the Rolls Royce procurement contract (as reported in the news) or just poor planning by TG. Remember that there were dispatch issues on 12-20 November. Three times in a row in 4 months... good way to alienate your F pax ex-BKK.
they let every time suffer some other routes, last time FRA, this time CDG and NRT. that is TG creativity and that's how they think, they can get away with it!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
From March 25, an A380 with First Class will be restored on the LHR-BKK route. Got an email from TG on this.Weirdly, its for TG915/TG916 instead of the original TG910/911. Manage to get our flights rebooked in First Class for the mid-daylight on the same day. Fingers cross all be go smoothly.

Speaking on the English line on the TG 24 hour line was a struggle but have checked on line and it was 100% successful per the phone call. Have to tell the boss now that I have to take an extra day off work.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn
From March 25, an A380 with First Class will be restored on the LHR-BKK route. Got an email from TG on this.Weirdly, its for TG915/TG916 instead of the original TG910/911. Manage to get our flights rebooked in First Class for the mid-daylight on the same day. Fingers cross all be go smoothly..
it is actually TG916/917 (BKK-LHR and LHR-BKK) and they are flying with a A380 already for more then 2 weeks
as said they probably switched flights as it is probably operationally easier for them to handle as if they have three A380 flying at the same time to Europe and back
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:30 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
it is actually TG916/917 (BKK-LHR and LHR-BKK) and they are flying with a A380 already for more then 2 weeks
as said they probably switched flights as it is probably operationally easier for them to handle as if they have three A380 flying at the same time to Europe and back
It's the aircraft that they free up from NRT route (TG676/677) hence the availability is during the day flight.

The contingency plan seems to work smoothly and the rotation seems to be OK in the past week. TG676/677 is now being operated by B744 so that they can still offer Royal First service
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spk
It's the aircraft that they free up from NRT route (TG676/677) hence the availability is during the day flight.
The contingency plan seems to work smoothly and the rotation seems to be OK in the past week. TG676/677 is now being operated by B744 so that they can still offer Royal First service
yes but to Europe a turnaround of the flight is not possible within 24 hours (it takes longer then 24 hours until plane is back and ready for next flight), while to Japan, plane leaving in the morning returns at around 10pm, ready to leave around midnight again
agreed, all smooth now, was on TG930 to CDG this week and all went well
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:30 am
spk

yes but to Europe a turnaround of the flight is not possible within 24 hours (it takes longer then 24 hours until plane is back and ready for next flight), while to Japan, plane leaving in the morning returns at around 10pm, ready to leave around midnight again
agreed, all smooth now, was on TG930 to CDG this week and all went well
Another reason is that TG916/917 does not require lengthy ground time in LHR like TG910/911. The aircraft is pretty much turned around and fly back whereas TG910 requires 6+ hours ground time. During aircraft shortage, this can make a big difference.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spk
Another reason is that TG916/917 does not require lengthy ground time in LHR like TG910/911. The aircraft is pretty much turned around and fly back whereas TG910 requires 6+ hours ground time. During aircraft shortage, this can make a big difference.
yes this is indeed an additional Advantage, which I have not thought of! So it brings it closer to a 24 hours turnaround for this route
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: TG Plat
Not just problems with the engines it seems. They must also have problems with the catering and refrigeration. I flew TG917 28 March in F on A380:

There was no 'book the cook'.
Champagne only just cold enough to be drinkable.
Choice of only 2 meals (salmon or beef) other than Thai set meal (samrab) i.e. C meals
Iced vodka with caviar barely chilled - undrinkable
Only 1 of 3 white wines listed available and that was warm - undrinkable
Salmon lukewarm and asparagus cold. Left it.
only 2 of 3 red wines listed available
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andyptrav
Not just problems with the engines it seems. They must also have problems with the catering and refrigeration. I flew TG917 28 March in F on A380:
was 25. in F on A380 and it was all right, incl. pre-order
as for the menu, yes it is now normal in long haul F that they have 2 western main dishes and 2 Samrap Thai. That is not much different then in the past, where they had 4 different main dishes, usually 2-3 western and 1-2 Thai or Asian (mostly Chinese)...
not cold white wine or champagne is a negligence of the crew and not an operational problem with the A380
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by andyptrav

There was no 'book the cook'.
Champagne only just cold enough to be drinkable.
Choice of only 2 meals (salmon or beef) other than Thai set meal (samrab) i.e. C meals
Iced vodka with caviar barely chilled - undrinkable
Only 1 of 3 white wines listed available and that was warm - undrinkable
Salmon lukewarm and asparagus cold. Left it.
only 2 of 3 red wines listed available
Flew Apr 3 on TG916. All fine.
Book the Cook meal was available
Champagne was cold
White wines were chilled.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Flew Apr 3 on TG916. All fine.
Book the Cook meal was available
Champagne was cold
White wines were chilled.
...and KenJohn was content!

Thanks for the report.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:27 am

I landed at Heathrow on Saturday evening on EVA. I noticed a TG A380 parked up by the cargo terminal / terminal 4 area. Another tech issue I wonder?

TG 916 had landed a few minutes before us and was another A380.Hopefully no further issues for the schedule!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.