FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   TG spruiking Star Gold Track a bit rich ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1896304-tg-spruiking-star-gold-track-bit-rich.html)

timster Feb 28, 2018 5:41 pm

TG spruiking Star Gold Track a bit rich ?

I was somewhat surprised to see TG trumpeting Star Alliance Gold Track (ie airport fast track for Star Golds) in their latest March email newsletter, given that they don't offer it at their home airport. Indeed they don't provide a link to the list of available airports, from which BKK is absent.
Royal Orchid Plus E-News
Gold Track Airports Overview - Star Alliance

The banner is "The way we get you through the airport faster", which could perhaps also say "... except in our home airport BKK". ;)

But maybe we should read into "... is being rolled out airport by airport across our network" that it may come someday to BKK ?

BinSabai Feb 28, 2018 7:07 pm

I had the same thoughts when I saw the advertisement and searched for details....

However when I look at the list of Airports, who offer Gold fast track...
Changi Airport: has anybody seen any fast track in Changi? not even for business class passenger! what the heck is Changi doing on this list?
Airports in Japan: you get only outbound fast track
Airports in Europe and USA: usually ONLY fast track at security, NOT for Immigration
Missing on the list HKG, ICN, TPE and also no airport from China

So if you compare, BKK has the BEST fast track for premium passengers (incl. inbound and outbound, security and immigration) worldwide that I know
if they would open for *Gold, it would be perfect

timster Feb 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 29471208)
I had the same thoughts when I saw the advertisement and searched for details....

However when I look at the list of Airports, who offer Gold fast track...
Changi Airport: has anybody seen any fast track in Changi? not even for business class passenger! what the heck is Changi doing on this list?

If you drill down on SIN in the list it does seem to have limited airline-specific Gold Track (although maybe under different signage ... in which case it's not really Gold Track) - and which is of course inconsistent with the whole notion of an alliance of airlines !

GOLD TRACK LOCATIONS

Terminal 2
Look For
Premium Lane
Available For
Departures (LH and LX flights only)
Terminal
Terminal 3
Look For
Premier Access
Available For
Departures (UA flights only)

BinSabai Feb 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by timster (Post 29471320)
If you drill down on SIN in the list it does seem to have limited airline-specific Gold Track (although maybe under different signage ... in which case it's not really Gold Track) - and which is of course inconsistent with the whole notion of an alliance of airlines !

GOLD TRACK LOCATIONS

Terminal 2
Look For
Premium Lane
Available For
Departures (LH and LX flights only)
Terminal
Terminal 3
Look For
Premier Access
Available For
Departures (UA flights only)

fine...so this is for outbound Immigration or security or both? just for the very few flights of LH, LX and UA (LH and LX one per day, UA two)...
flew always TG or SQ and there is no fast track

timster Mar 1, 2018 12:09 am

Gold Track has been around for a while and yet it seems to be an unusual alliance privilege in that it is so inconsistently offered. I assume it's the airlines that have to pay for it at a given airport, or maybe it's Star Alliance ? Maybe it's the airlines not wanting to pay for it at a given airport, or the airports charging too much ?

I am not aware of any list of all the airports a single airline's pax can use Fast Track at if *G (since at some airports it's a signed Gold Track and other times it's just certain airlines giving airport premium lane access to *G). For TG, I've only noticed it outbound at MEL. They hand out an express pass at TG checkin for *G flying Y. But I don't look that hard for Gold Track at most airports. It's a pity Gold Track airports are not in the Star Alliance app (lounges are).

paolo64 Mar 2, 2018 1:58 am

Originally Posted by timster (Post 29471818)
Gold Track has been around for a while and yet it seems to be an unusual alliance privilege in that it is so inconsistently offered. I assume it's the airlines that have to pay for it at a given airport, or maybe it's Star Alliance ? Maybe it's the airlines not wanting to pay for it at a given airport, or the airports charging too much ?

I am not aware of any list of all the airports a single airline's pax can use Fast Track at if *G (since at some airports it's a signed Gold Track and other times it's just certain airlines giving airport premium lane access to *G). For TG, I've only noticed it outbound at MEL. They hand out an express pass at TG checkin for *G flying Y. But I don't look that hard for Gold Track at most airports. It's a pity Gold Track airports are not in the Star Alliance app (lounges are).

The value of it in Melbourne has diminished in recent times. The turn left for priority/fasttrack, right for standard- as directed by the doorkeeper- used to work ok. But in the past year or so, it hasn't meant much as the non-fast track queue is simply directed the long way around to what is meant to be the priority scanning area. I don't think much time is saved there anymore.
If TG were to introduce a genuine fast track for TG Golds in BKK (ie similar to the business one adjacent to the checkin zone) they would have my loyalty forever. On arrival in BKK, better still.

maerim Mar 2, 2018 3:06 am

On departure I have been using Immigration at Row B (TG Business Class) for years on the occasions that I have travelled Economy Class on TG, including for one or more guests travelling on the same flight and in the same Class. I have never been refused on showing boarding pass. I guess not many people know that the above can be done.

For some time I have been able to use the autochannel, so don't necessarily use above mentioned Immigration.

timster Mar 2, 2018 3:41 am

Originally Posted by maerim (Post 29476041)
On departure I have been using Immigration at Row B (TG Business Class) for years on the occasions that I have travelled Economy Class on TG, including for one or more guests travelling on the same flight and in the same Class. I have never been refused on showing boarding pass. I guess not many people know that the above can be done.

Interesting ! Is that with ROP Gold on your BP, or other-airline *G ?

I may try that next time anyway. ;)

maerim Mar 2, 2018 3:45 am

With ROP Gold.

BinSabai Mar 2, 2018 4:20 am

Originally Posted by maerim (Post 29476093)
With ROP Gold.

...and Thai passport?

maerim Mar 2, 2018 4:26 am

I have a British Passport. Wife has a Thai Passport; other guests have been mainly Japanese.

paolo64 Mar 2, 2018 5:15 am

IIRC, there is a slightly fierce dragon guarding that entry, so good luck to anyone trying that when flying Y

Thai-Kiwi Mar 2, 2018 5:10 pm

No fierce dragon(s) sighted in my departures through the dedicated F/J THAI immigration fastback in the past 2 years - but I wasn't looking out for them either as I was traveling in J.

There is a dedicated Y checkin counter for those TG*G (and *G?) - although I can't recall which counter (C maybe?); but I was not directed to, nor ever considered, going through the F/J fast track. That would be a welcome benefit.

timster Mar 2, 2018 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 29478670)
There is a dedicated Y checkin counter for those TG*G (and *G?) - although I can't recall which counter (C maybe?)

Yes there are several designated Star Gold checkin desks (ie for *G Y flyers, not necessarily TG Gold) in the mostly-J international checkin row (ie up the far end of checkin, a long way from the Y-only checkin rows).

paolo64 Mar 3, 2018 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 29478670)
No fierce dragon(s) sighted in my departures through the dedicated F/J THAI immigration fastback in the past 2 years - but I wasn't looking out for them either as I was traveling in J.

There is a dedicated Y checkin counter for those TG*G (and *G?) - although I can't recall which counter (C maybe?); but I was not directed to, nor ever considered, going through the F/J fast track. That would be a welcome benefit.

Yes, I use that checkin desk when in Y and there's never a queue there. But then you have to go down to the normal security/immigration line. I doubt that the dragon , fierce or otherwise, on the gate to business security/immigration would welcome ROP gold in Y ( unless some special status in addition to Gold).
Given that the *Gold checkin desk is never, ever busy, one wonders just how onerous it would be for TG to offer the real fast track lane to ROP Golds ( yes, I know it will never happen...).