Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection & Domestic business class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Seat selection & Domestic business class

I am booked in Domestic business class from Phuket to Bangkok; cash ticket. Manage My Booking does not appear to let me select seats. Is it possible to select seats in advance?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
I am booked in Domestic business class from Phuket to Bangkok; cash ticket. Manage My Booking does not appear to let me select seats. Is it possible to select seats in advance?
Pre-departure seat allocation for domestic flights is not possible until OLCI opens at D-24.

There are a very few exceptions for those flights that that are on the same number as an international flights:
  • TG926 BKK-HKT 0905-1025 which then continues to FRA on the same flight number.
  • TG684 BKK-HKT 1925-2050 which then continues to PEK on the same flight number
  • TG685 HKT-BKK 0555-1102 preceded by PEK-HKT

Additionally, note that TG22xx series are a code-share with THAI Smile, a subsidiary of THAI. Service levels and equipment likely to be different.
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Feb 26, 2018 at 5:13 pm
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
perfect answer Thai-Kiwi! not even status passenger can make seat reservation in advance.
Actually TG makes a preliminary seat allocation (according to status) and you can change from 24 hours before the flight. If flight is full, options for change are zero
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Actually TG makes a preliminary seat allocation (according to status) and you can change from 24 hours before the flight. If flight is full, options for change are zero
I can confirm this. For my HKT-BKK flight in C earlier this month (just after Chinese New Year) the flight was completely full and I was unable to change to another seat. I had been preassigned first row on the upper deck of B747-400 which was ok, but no other choice available.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I can confirm this. For my HKT-BKK flight in C earlier this month (just after Chinese New Year) the flight was completely full and I was unable to change to another seat. I had been preassigned first row on the upper deck of B747-400 which was ok, but no other choice available.
and as a TG Platinum, you would have been seated on one of the F seat (among all the TIPs on such domestic flights)
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes. Maybe even with my TK*G in the reservation, but as this was a LH M&M award ticket my M&M No. (I'm only LH basic now) was in the reservation as default and when I changed to my TK*G card during OLCI, it was too late; seats had already been assigned. I inquired at check-in if seats in row 1-4 was available but all seats assigned/taken.

But to be honest I was fine with my seat on the upper deck for such a short flight and it didn't ruin anything. No need to overthink/overdo the seating issue for domestic flights.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
But to be honest I was fine with my seat on the upper deck for such a short flight and it didn't ruin anything. No need to overthink/overdo the seating issue for domestic flights.
agreed
it's nice to get a F if available but I would not change schedule or go any extra mile otherwise just to sit in a F seat on a domestic flight
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Pre-departure seat allocation for domestic flights is not possible until OLCI opens at D-24.

There are a very few exceptions for those flights that that are on the same number as an international flights:
  • TG926 BKK-HKT 0905-1025 which then continues to FRA on the same flight number.
  • TG684 BKK-HKT 1925-2050 which then continues to PEK on the same flight number
  • TG685 HKT-BKK 0555-1102 preceded by PEK-HKT

Additionally, note that TG22xx series are a code-share with THAI Smile, a subsidiary of THAI. Service levels and equipment likely to be different.
Thank you so much for this! I could not figure out why I could select seats on one flight but not the other, but this explains it. I also did not know the 2xx flights were code shares. I am on flight 212 from HKT-BKK in C - I had thought it would be TG equipment, what can I expect on Thai Smile?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by dcmike
I am on flight 212 from HKT-BKK in C - I had thought it would be TG equipment, what can I expect on Thai Smile?
Sorry to quote myself - but FlightAware shows TG212 operated by Thai and on a Boeing 777 (and occasionally a A350). So is this an exception to the rule?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:56 pm

Thank you so much for this! I could not figure out why I could select seats on one flight but not the other, but this explains it. I also did not know the 2xx flights were code shares. I am on flight 212 from HKT-BKK in C - I had thought it would be TG equipment, what can I expect on Thai Smile?
TG212 is a normal TG flight, currently done with A350 or 777-300ER, both with full flat seat in Biz (which actually is irrelevant for such a short flight)

only TG22xx (4 digits) are code share flights, done by Thai Smile
Thai Smile use narrow body planes like A320 with no J seats, while TG use wide body aircrafts
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Sorry to quote myself - but FlightAware shows TG212 operated by Thai and on a Boeing 777 (and occasionally a A350). So is this an exception to the rule?
Yes. I noted TG22xx (4 digits), not TG2xx - a big difference as you've noted and BinSabai has commented, the 3 digits TG codes are all THAI and not THAI Smile codeshares..
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Yes. I noted TG22xx (4 digits), not TG2xx - a big difference as you've noted and BinSabai has commented, the 3 digits TG codes are all THAI and not THAI Smile codeshares..
Sorry! I didn't catch the number of digits. Thanks for noticing my mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.