Why is Thai still so expensive from BKK?

Old Feb 22, 18, 12:37 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Does the UK still have Air Passenger Duty whereby passengers departing the UK in premium cabins pay a lot more than those in the Y cabin? I recall this was what made me change a trip BKK-LHR-BKK (1x F and 2x J) to BKK-LHR//FRA-BKK. We departed the UK on LCC EasyJet from Liverpool-Krakow-Dortmund and then made our way to FRA over a few days by train!
Yes, for Biz and First, 150 per passenger on long haul (156 from April 1st). Weirdly the bands are based on seat pitch and not class of travel.
There is no charge if you are flying from Northern Ireland direct, so you could in theory save yourself over 100 by flying from London to Belfast then onto Bangkok (subject to their being a direct flight) which sort of go's against the grain when it comes to carbon footprint/global warming....Ahh....bureaucracy, got to love it...
Old Feb 22, 18, 8:11 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by chelseastu View Post
Yes, for Biz and First, 150 per passenger on long haul (156 from April 1st). Weirdly the bands are based on seat pitch and not class of travel.
The APD bands are based on the distance between the capital cities of the origin and destination country.

The APD rate is 150 for band B countries, but there is a reduced rate of 75 for the lowest class of travel as long as the seat pitch is less than 40 inches. This is so that airlines cannot pretend that planes where all seats exceed 40 inches are all economy class.

There is no charge if you are flying from Northern Ireland direct, so you could in theory save yourself over 100 by flying from London to Belfast then onto Bangkok (subject to their being a direct flight) which sort of go's against the grain when it comes to carbon footprint/global warming....Ahh....bureaucracy, got to love it...
This is to incentivise airlines to fly direct from Northern Ireland airports, since the incidence of APD mostly falls on the airlines (except for award tickets), and airlines already charge what they think will be the profit maximising price. The lack of any long-haul flights from any Northern Ireland airport except for the occasional charter to the US indicates that APD or not, such flights are not profitable.

There is no APD when starting your journey from JER or Scottish Highlands airports such as INV, and the flights do not need to be direct.

APD does not account for BA's differential pricing between UK and non-UK departure points, which can be over 1000 on F and J tickets.
Old Feb 22, 18, 9:55 pm

Programs: Tinder
I understand the OP's point and it can be infuriating. The core issue for me is a lack of transparency and consistency.
I shouldn't have to fly on Sri Lankan (BKK to HKG) to get a reasonable J class fare. I suppose it is all about timing. I recently purchased a TG business seat to BKK from HKG and it was literally half the cost of Cathay.
And yet, when I look at equal quality airlines like OZ or AF/KLM or even the LH Group on the CDG/ FRA routes, TG is nowhere close.

I get the feeling that TG prices based on the distribution channel one uses. Would I be wrong to ask if purchasing from certain agents allows access to lower cost premium class fares?
Old Feb 23, 18, 7:22 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
I get the feeling that TG prices based on the distribution channel one uses. Would I be wrong to ask if purchasing from certain agents allows access to lower cost premium class fares?
is this Statement pure speculation or do you have any facts to support your Claim?
Old Feb 24, 18, 12:23 am

Programs: Tinder
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
is this Statement pure speculation or do you have any facts to support your Claim?
Considering the manner in which I structured my question, I suggest you go back and read it again.
What I do know is that Thailand has a long standing practice of dual pricing for a wide array of goods and services. I am also aware that the use of "preferred" agents is a long standing practice in some countries. Those preferred agents get access to special "sale" prices. I don't know if the practice is ongoing in Thailand. Are you able to say it does not occur?
You know all those VIPs who show up on flights that some people assume are flying for free? Well I was previously told they they were not flying for "free". They can however, access special discount fares. Now, if someone were to ask why so many people have access to special fares, I believe it would be a reasonable question. Unless you are able to confirm that there are no special fares and upgrade opportunities for some pax.
Old Feb 24, 18, 8:32 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Putting aside most of the exchange above, THAI used to have 'limited access' fares available only to people meeting particular requirements (which were not publicised).

The specific example I know about (from 20 years ago, and may not now exist) was a fare sold in NZ (and probably other markets) for overseas Thais at significantly reduced rates to those being marketed by travel agents (no/limited internet in those days).

My wife (who is Thai) heard about this from the Auckland Thai community, and so I enquired with Thai if such a fare was available or not. The fare did exist, but my memory fades on the requirements and applicability. I think a Thai passport was the main requirement. I also think that non-Thai partners could access the fare if proof of marriage was provided and the travel dates were the same.

My assumption at the time was it was a (govt-directed?) means to encourage Thais living overseas to visit/return home, perhaps to bring skills/investment back to Thailand. I wonder if Philippine Airlines has anything similar for the massive numbers of OFWs?
Old Feb 24, 18, 8:53 pm

If there are 'special travel agencies', would someone please post them so that we can stop going via KUL to get good J & F fares!
BinSabai likes this.
Old Feb 26, 18, 8:51 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
I can certainly understand why some pax are prepared to pay a premium for direct flights. I was on TG950 to CPH the other night (in C class on 77W). Departed BKK 1AM so full day and evening in BKK. Flight took off 01:25 with dinner service completed almost 03AM. Went to sleep and had 6 hours of sleep. Woke up around 09:30AM and then watched a movie (while breakfast was served) and arrived CPH 12AM BKK time/06AM CET time. The 10h35min in the air didn't feel long at all.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Feb 26, 18, 12:01 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
...12AM BKK time...
You mean 12PM
Old Feb 27, 18, 12:52 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by flyerby View Post
You mean 12PM
This is another reason why we all should adopt 24 hour time convention and why all militaries of the world use it!!! Life would be so much easier!
Torti555 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Back to my original post for this thread and some comments made that home based airlines typically have higher fares than other airlines, I did a dummy booking in J for the same dates but in reverse (LHR-BKK) and the price converted to Baht was hardly any different (142K Baht compared to 156K Baht) which just reinforces my belief that Thai is not competitive on pricing.
Old Feb 28, 18, 12:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & More, Flying blue
Originally Posted by albion1 View Post
Back to my original post for this thread and some comments made that home based airlines typically have higher fares than other airlines, I did a dummy booking in J for the same dates but in reverse (LHR-BKK) and the price converted to Baht was hardly any different (142K Baht compared to 156K Baht) which just reinforces my belief that Thai is not competitive on pricing.
There are only three (i believe) airlines that offers non-stop flight to BKK. TG fare is quite competitive compared with EVA and BA. Competition on the same route with almost the same product is also a factor, I believe.
Old Feb 28, 18, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timmynl View Post
There are only three (i believe) airlines that offers non-stop flight to BKK. TG fare is quite competitive compared with EVA and BA. Competition on the same route with almost the same product is also a factor, I believe.
I don't think that is true. For the same route (LHR-BKK) and dates in J, Eva comes out at 119K Baht and they have a superior product as I can vouch having used them twice recently. BA also has a fare that is virtually identical to Eva.
Old Feb 28, 18, 2:40 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
I don't think that is true. For the same route (LHR-BKK) and dates in J, Eva comes out at 119K Baht and they have a superior product as I can vouch having used them twice recently. BA also has a fare that is virtually identical to Eva.
Yes, direct BKK-LHR return next week according to Skyscanner ...
EVA 123k THB
BA 127k THB
TG 155k THB
Much the same next month, although BA has 117k.
Best one-stop fares around 70k-80k.

By comparison SQ from SIN-LHR direct is around 145k THB.
HVN from SGN-LHR direct around 107k THB.

So TG definitely demands a premium direct.

If you reposition in SIN, then TG flying SIN-BKK-LHR return comes down to around 130k.
restlessinRNO likes this.

Last edited by timster; Feb 28, 18 at 2:54 am
Old Feb 28, 18, 12:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & More, Flying blue
I usually fly this route LHR-BKK vv with both TG and EVA. I personally avoid BA at all costs. My recent booking on March 5 and return on March 12. TG offers 2213 while BR asks for 2459 leaving 15 minutes apart. BA dares to ask for 3672.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: