Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked luggage on a 5 day layover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Checked luggage on a 5 day layover

I will be travelling on TG from Australia to Europe with a 5 day layover on BKK (single ticket) and would like to check my luggage to the final destination in Europe. Does anyone know if this is possible with such a long layover?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
No, 24 hours or less is the rule. There is a left luggage facility outside customs.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Even if it were possible, such a long transfer would dramatically increase the likelihood of loss of the luggage, or theft from it. I would certainly collect it and put it in the Left Luggage facility, as Flyingbiker suggests.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:57 am
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
You're not making a layover at BKK, it's a stop! As mentioned, to be classed as a layover the arriving and departing flights must be within 24 hours of each other.

The advice you've been given is sound. Even if it were possible to check your luggage through, the chances of losing it are really, really high! Luggage storage at swampy or, if it were me, just take it with you. Safest option!

Happy travels.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Jack007
I will be travelling on TG from Australia to Europe with a 5 day layover on BKK (single ticket) and would like to check my luggage to the final destination in Europe. Does anyone know if this is possible with such a long layover?
First, as others have said - that is not "lay over" but "stop over"... Second, you would be risking too much, as other have said as well. Third, how could you live without your stuff for 5 days?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Unless you're bouncing around to 3 different hotels in 5 days why not just take it with you? Taxis are cheap if you have 2 bags + carry on that would make the airport link to BTS/MRT unwieldy.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Miles and More
When you check in your luggage, the agent is going to tell you where to retrieve your luggage. My bet is he/she will tell you to retrieve it at BKK carousel after the first segment and not in Europe.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kubrick
When you check in your luggage, the agent is going to tell you where to retrieve your luggage. My bet is he/she will tell you to retrieve it at BKK carousel after the first segment and not in Europe.
TG didn't check to SJC on my 11h15m layover in NRT.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:50 pm

Hi all,
I have a similar question.

I'll be flying from Krabi -> Bangkok on TG, (21 hour connection), Bangkok -> TPE on TG, (another 22 hour connection in Taipei), TPE -> ORD on EVA.

All of my segments are in business and on a single reservation.

For the Krabi -> Bangkok segment, I"ll just have one small carry on, so I won't be checking in any bags at all. However, in Bangkok, I plan to leave the airport and go to my parent's place. When I come back to the airport the next day, Can I check in my big bag and have it be checked through to ORD?

Thanks
I will leave the airport when I'm in Bangkok. When I come back, can I still check my bags to my final destination
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by petey2428
Hi all,
I have a similar question.

I'll be flying from Krabi -> Bangkok on TG, (21 hour connection), Bangkok -> TPE on TG, (another 22 hour connection in Taipei), TPE -> ORD on EVA.

All of my segments are in business and on a single reservation.

For the Krabi -> Bangkok segment, I"ll just have one small carry on, so I won't be checking in any bags at all. However, in Bangkok, I plan to leave the airport and go to my parent's place. When I come back to the airport the next day, Can I check in my big bag and have it be checked through to ORD?

Thanks
I will leave the airport when I'm in Bangkok. When I come back, can I still check my bags to my final destination
BKK stopover with check in after coming back will be fine. Just check in at domestic Counter in Krabi. For check through to ORD check in staff at BKK will probably be reluctant. You will have to insist and it also depends, whether TPE has Special rules regarding that (normally it is 24 hours Maximum). You also have to consider what you would like to do airside for 22 hours, Lounge is mediocre and not open around the clock
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
BKK stopover with check in after coming back will be fine. Just check in at domestic Counter in Krabi. For check through to ORD check in staff at BKK will probably be reluctant. You will have to insist and it also depends, whether TPE has Special rules regarding that (normally it is 24 hours Maximum). You also have to consider what you would like to do airside for 22 hours, Lounge is mediocre and not open around the clock
Thanks for the quick response! I intentionally booked the long layovers to break up the flights and hang out in Taipei briefly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.