Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Mini trip report: THAI Smile Bangkok-Ubon WE24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Mrs TK and I flew to Ubon today - my first ever flight on THAI Smile (WE).

WE24 BKK-UBP A320 HS-TXG.

I checked in online the evening prior without problem. The email with the PDF boarding pass also had a link that would usually (with THAI) insert an electronic BP into the THAI card in the iPhone wallet - but this produced an error message "mobile boarding passes are not allowed on this journey".

On arrival at the airport, we still went to to a regular check-in desk and completed the check-in process. The staff put priority tags on the bags since I am TG*G. We moved through security and to the THAI domestic lounge for an hour. On entry to the lounge I showed my physical Gold Card and our THAI Smile BPs and gained entry with no issues.

Once we were settled, I noted that on my BP my TG ROP number was printd, but didn't show my ROP status. I went to the entrance and asked the staff if the barcode scan of the BP revealed my status to them for lounge entry, or if I always needed to show my card (physical or electronic)? They said I needed to show the card, and they mentioned that sometimes there are problems with customers who can't produce their card. Anybody verify this?

The flight was quite full, but boarding was smooth and we departed on time at 11:15. There was a snack, with an acceptably tasty bread roll with ham lettuce and cheese, and hot/cold drink service on this 65 min flight. The seat pitch must be 30-31" which is fine for us (1.7m and 1.5m). The cabin crew did a very good job from my observation of the service and other things such as attentiveness during the pre-departure and pre-landing security checks.

Overall I was very satisfied with THAI Smile Air. I still have to fly UBP-BKK-UTH-BKK-KBV-BKK in the next 10 days and so will refine my opinion as necessary!

Name:  IMG_0566.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  436.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0567.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  483.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0568.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  434.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0569.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  473.2 KB
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've taken this flight many times and while not TG*G (so no benefits) I can't recall any problems. I even get a jetbridge sometimes!

There was a period where I was taking DD to UBP because their schedule is much more robust but after they ceased including baggage with tickets it was back to TG.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
I used to fly this route frequently even before it was handled by WE but by TG. The only problem I had was when I had to pay overweight and my TK A*G did not help. I wan’t expecting it as it was a TG codeshare flight operated by WE.

One thing to take into account is not to buy the ticket on TG website (http://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/) but on WE website (https://www.thaismileair.com/en/). It is significantly cheaper.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks Thai-Kiwi
i regularly use online boarding for domestic flights on TG with BP in the iPhone wallet. Did not Encounter any Problems.
never flew Thai Smile so far. Do mileage count for TG account and do they have still premium seats (with the middle seat free like J in Europe)
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
Do mileage count for TG account and do they have still premium seats (with the middle seat free like J in Europe)
Yes and yes, though the latter might depend upon route.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Yes and yes, though the latter might depend upon route.
And additional to the points above, if TG*G/P you get the status level baggage benefit of another 20kg. Mrs TK who is TG*S doesnt get the extra 10kg benefit as far as I can tell, but has had no issues in any case.

On the ROP mileage earn, no less than 500 miles in almost all fare classes as the minimum earn.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Thai-Kiwi - Thank you for your TR. I will be flying WE soon. Unfortunately as UA*G, I will get no miles and no (domestic) lounge access. And flight costs more than the later TG flight (to CNX).
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Thai-Kiwi - Thank you for your TR. I will be flying WE soon. Unfortunately as UA*G, I will get no miles and no (domestic) lounge access. And flight costs more than the later TG flight (to CNX).
Prices will vary for the TG vs TG sites. The former sells both, the latter only it's own metal.

I just picked up some PG flights BKK-CNX vv for mid-Dec and flights were unexpectedly cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.