Wiki Posts
Search

Longest Bus Rides

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
Longest Bus Rides

I flew out on TG 580 this morning to PNH. I wasn't thrilled when I saw gate G1A since I presumed that meant a bus ride.

But this wasn't just any bus ride.... this was a bus ride all the way to the International Cargo Terminal! I felt really bad for the old guy who needed a wheelchair. Not sure how he made it up the steps to the plane. I really don't understand why they do this at what is basically their HQ airport. Maybe the cargo on this route is more important than the pax?

Then we had to taxi all the way to the other end of the world to take off. Is that the longest bus ride at BKK?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I had once bus ride that took over 20 minutes. This was on arrival and the aircraft stopped just next to the maintenance hangar...
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by vbroucek
I had once bus ride that took over 20 minutes. This was on arrival and the aircraft stopped just next to the maintenance hangar...
yes exactly, that's the longest you can get!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
I do not believe that any of their arrivals are at an air-bridge any more, certainly nothing that I have arrived on this year, DEL LHR AKL KTM FRA. It is pretty disgraceful for a carrier to not use air-bridges at their own hub. Cost cuts I imagine.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
I do not believe that any of their arrivals are at an air-bridge any more, certainly nothing that I have arrived on this year, DEL LHR AKL KTM FRA. It is pretty disgraceful for a carrier to not use air-bridges at their own hub. Cost cuts I imagine.
for me over 80% airbridge, international and domestic
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:57 am

We arrived a couple of weeks ago TG917 no gate bus stop outside arrivals terminal, we walked up a short ramp and found ourselves about 50 meters from immigration. Saved a long walk from the gate no queue at immigration.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by tg911
We arrived a couple of weeks ago TG917 no gate bus stop outside arrivals terminal, we walked up a short ramp and found ourselves about 50 meters from immigration. Saved a long walk from the gate no queue at immigration.
I prefer a long walk, even from C10 or E10
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
True but every now and then its nice not to take that long walk,didn't feel to bad on arrival A350 definitely got more leg room in economy then A380 . Plus the wife is Thai she isn't to keen on that walking to far unless it's our evening walk in the park.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
interestingly I sent an email to their comment contact and they claim that there's nothing they can do about gate assignments and that it is handled solely by the airport

They also gave me 2500 Avianca miles for my 2.5 hour delay from Tokyo. I don't think I've ever heard of an airline awarding other airline's miles in this sort of situation. Flight was booked with AV miles.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
Simply untrue...........A380/B777 from Heathrow or FRA never gets a bus ride, always an air bridge. Can't comment re DEL, AKL or KTM but, as with Bin Sabai, about 70%-80% of my recent arrivals (last 3-4 months) have been to an air bridge.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
As do I.

In the last 5 years I'm well over 90% bus gates at BKK. I also got bus gates at HKT more often than not (pre new terminal).

Clearly I'm plagued.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
As do I.

In the last 5 years I'm well over 90% bus gates at BKK. I also got bus gates at HKT more often than not (pre new terminal).

Clearly I'm plagued.
you probably frequent exclusively odd and peculiar destinations or you are on TG's bus-aficionado list and the captain gets therefore instructions to park his plane at a bus gate
go for common mainstream destinations like Thaikwai and myself and get cart (as the F passenger Thaikwai) or a refreshing walk (as myself in J or cattle class)
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
you probably frequent exclusively odd and peculiar destinations or you are on TG's bus-aficionado list and the captain gets therefore instructions to park his plane at a bus gate
go for common mainstream destinations like Thaikwai and myself and get cart (as the F passenger Thaikwai) or a refreshing walk (as myself in J or cattle class)
There's more PG in that mix than TG, but I even had a bus gate arriving on UA a few years ago.

My best success is with a jetbridge is BKK-UBP on We(eeeweeeeweeeeee) and there I'm probably looking at 50% only.

As for the bolded, I've been called worse.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I do not fly TG enough to be providing proper stats, but I have 8 out of 10 flights from Australia arriving at bus gates, and all Europe to BKK flights on TG arriving at bridge. I have several OS and LH arrivals to BKK, all to bridges.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
Simply untrue...........A380/B777 from Heathrow or FRA never gets a bus ride, always an air bridge. Can't comment re DEL, AKL or KTM but, as with Bin Sabai, about 70%-80% of my recent arrivals (last 3-4 months) have been to an air bridge.
Sorry mate but very true, FRA in March and LHR in July both to bus stands

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.