Search

TG non stop to USA in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:29 pm
LPQ
Original Poster

Programs: TG *G 20 years
TG non stop to USA in 2018

The Straits Times 19 October reports that TG 'may add direct flights to America next year if the FAA promotes Thailand to its top safety category, said Mr Krittaphon Chantalitanon, vice-president of alliances and commercial strategy.

Mr Krittaphon added that eventual non-stop US flights may link Bangkok to California or New York.'

I wonder if that means non stop to SFO or LAX.
Mendobrew likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
It'll probably mean loosing money and eventually being canceled.

That being said, I do hope it'll be BKK-SFO rather than LAX or NYC.
Mendobrew and forumpersona999 like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: ROP
I don't see how can they compete in CA. I hope they go to Vancouver since I want to do a trip there sometime soon then they can cancel.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:49 pm

As nice as this would be, wouldn’t they run into the same problem as with the A340 nonstops? Or, would more fuel efficient aircraft make it profitable?

Those routes could work if all business class, with plenty of full fare pax. Bangkok isn’t a premium heavy market, relatively speaking, and it is also already adequately serviced by connections in hubs such as Hong Kong, Tokyo, Europe, and the Middle East.

It’s true that there could be connecting traffic, but again, competition would make it difficult to keep premium fares high.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
As nice as this would be, wouldn’t they run into the same problem as with the A340 nonstops? Or, would more fuel efficient aircraft make it profitable?
The fuel cost is less of a concern with the 789/350 compared to the fuel guzzling 345. UA is reportedly doing quite well with SFO-SIN (a longer route), for example.

That said, I think it doubtful that paid premium cabin demand would support this route. Of course, poor economics have rarely stopped TG from doing anything.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Agreed don't think they will have much paid J demand compared to SIN which is a pretty high demand premium cabin route for most airlines.

It would be nice to see this route, especially with TG's network in SE and Central Asia.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
TG can do fairly well if they priced it well ex-sin/hkg. Would be a detour but who doesn't like a free stopover in bkk? 😜
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:45 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For reference, see this related 2016 thread:
THAI hopes to relaunch USA service in 2017

Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Those routes could work if all business class, with plenty of full fare pax. Bangkok isn’t a premium heavy market, relatively speaking, and it is also already adequately serviced by connections in hubs such as Hong Kong, Tokyo, Europe, and the Middle East.

It’s true that there could be connecting traffic, but again, competition would make it difficult to keep premium fares high.
Yes, it was operated A340-500 aircraft. They actually flown BKK-LAX/JFK nonstop.

They tried and they pulled out of LAX-BKK & JFK-BKK nonstop. Due to low demands.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Oh fun this game again!

For California would be a toss up I think between SFO (more onward UA connections) and LAX (largest Thai population in USA). I think NYC would be an exercise in vanity that is all O/D. At least with ORD they could connect to NY or the rest of the the Mid to East.

*I am not a route planner, I do not play one on TV and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night*
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ws8n
TG can do fairly well if they priced it well ex-sin/hkg. Would be a detour but who doesn't like a free stopover in bkk? 😜
interesting thought, but I do not think it will work
- who want to take such a big detour ex HKG?
- several alternatives ex SIN and Singaporeans do not like to stop over in BKK
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: most of them
if you have to connect anyway why not do it somewhere in N Asia instead of CA or NY? Is there enough local demand for a nonstop?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, it was operated A340-500 aircraft. They actually flown BKK-LAX/JFK nonstop.

They tried and they pulled out of LAX-BKK & JFK-BKK nonstop. Due to low demands.
I agree while I also think its not low demand alone but rather the aircraft it self, A340-500, the plane was fuel consumption and the seat arrangement for Business and Economy with Premium in the middle made it harder to TG to sell.

Read this article, they intended to operate daily but pulled out first.
Thai Airways Predicts 75% Loads For New York Flight
Thai Airways' New York Loads Top 80% In Early Weeks
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by glennaa11
if you have to connect anyway why not do it somewhere in N Asia instead of CA or NY? Is there enough local demand for a nonstop?
I would rather have a 2-3h SH flight before or after a ULH flight instead of a LH flight and a MH flight.
SJC/SFO-NRT-BKK I get so antsy on the NRT-BKK leg as opposed to doing SFO-HKG-BKK.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I would rather have a 2-3h SH flight before or after a ULH flight instead of a LH flight and a MH flight.
SJC/SFO-NRT-BKK I get so antsy on the NRT-BKK leg as opposed to doing SFO-HKG-BKK.
Agree with this. ULH haul (typically EWR/ORD to HKG) for me is the best of the current options to get to BKK.

Having the ULH just end at BKK would be worth a premium to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.