Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG non stop to USA in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: most of them
interesting. I'd much rather connect at a good airport wherever it is. US airports in general aren't much fun to transit. Then again neither are FRA or CDG. :-)

If I had to fly x-country from DC to California on a crappy narrowbody domestic service just to get a non-stop it wouldn't make sense to me. A short hop like JFK or ORD is certainly more palatable, but still not great airports to transit. If I can go in C or F on ANA or KE from IAD and then another comfortable widebody from NRT or ICN that sounds better to me all the way around, but if you are at a smaller outpost without a direct service to a decent connection in Asia then I guess it would make a bit more sense to do a 1-stop via a US hub.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The fuel cost is less of a concern with the 789/350 compared to the fuel guzzling 345. UA is reportedly doing quite well with SFO-SIN (a longer route), for example.

That said, I think it doubtful that paid premium cabin demand would support this route. Of course, poor economics have rarely stopped TG from doing anything.
Very good point. I hope it happens, but then again if there is no F, I’d actually rather connect and fly F then nonstop J.

The direct A340 flights were great. And back in those days there was often wide open award availability at low mileage levels on UA etc...

Actual demand for paid premium cabins was low on BKK flights.

Another thing is that Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul, Japan, etc... are pretty close to exactly on the great circle route from JFK to BKK. So, not much of a detour, and sometimes very short connections are possible.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Another thing is that Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul, Japan, etc... are pretty close to exactly on the great circle route from JFK to BKK. So, not much of a detour, and sometimes very short connections are possible.
No they are not.

Those cities are more on the great circle track for LAX-BKK, but not JKF-BKK.

That said, not all flights between city pairs are flight planned on the airway navigation routes the approximate great circle tracks for reasons of forecast winds, weather, geological and other events. I don't recall the specifiics of the flight planned route TG used for BKK-JFK.

See here from Great Circle Mapper by Carl Swartz:

Name:  IMG_0551.GIF
Views: 1074
Size:  41.8 KB
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:06 am

You’re absolutely right. I was mistaken about that. So, for JFK it would indeed save a lot of time, and would be a polar route.

I wonder if it would be operated on 787 or A350 aircraft. I also wonder if business and/or Economy product would be enhanced for such a long flight.

SQ had direct flights with only J and PY initially, and then changed to all J. There’s no way all J would work for the BKK market, but I would think at 16+ hours, the Y cabin would have to be spacious and comfortable enough to prevent people from going crazy.

That great circle map also illustrates why HKG is the best currently available connection between BKK and JFK.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
EWR-BKK was often via Europe (crossed Norway, Sweden, Baltics and Russia)
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
SQ had direct flights with only J and PY initially, and then changed to all J. There’s no way all J would work for the BKK market, but I would think at 16+ hours, the Y cabin would have to be spacious and comfortable enough to prevent people from going crazy.
UA is flying a 9 across Y cabin 789 from SFO and LAX to SIN and SQ is flying it's 9 across 359, which is slightly wider than the 787. Those are both longer flights than BKK would be. So I could see TG flying its current configuration 359s, though they would likely be weight restricted on the westbound.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Per Orient Aviation, TG is "seriously" considering BKK-SEA nonstop.

http://orientaviation.com/articles/3...e-route-launch

Seattle is definitely surprising, but then again, TG has always been full of surprises...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by SilverChris

Seattle is definitely surprising, but then again, TG has always been full of surprises...
It's not surprising. TG has been saying this for over a year and with their current aircraft (including the ones on order), SEA is the only city in the continental US to which they can fly non-stop without weight/seasonal restrictions.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by SilverChris

“We are looking at building partnerships with airlines that are not necessarily Star Alliance members,” Chaiyong said.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by timster
“We are looking at building partnerships with airlines that are not necessarily Star Alliance members,” Chaiyong said.
If it's going to be SEA, AS/VX would be a better partner for US connecting pax than UA. Would be a bummer for UA flyers who were hoping they'd be able to ticket through UA though.

Awards would still be available with UA connections though.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
If it's going to be SEA, AS/VX would be a better partner for US connecting pax than UA. Would be a bummer for UA flyers who were hoping they'd be able to ticket through UA though.

Awards would still be available with UA connections though.
if we get miles on our TG accounts for those domestic flights, why not! it can't get much worse then UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.