Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft Swap - Reroute?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Aircraft Swap - Reroute?

Hello,

I was wondering, if booked in F and Thai does an aircraft swap for one without F, what happens in this case?

Would TG be willing to re-route/re-book on a different flight that has F when I arrive at the airport?

I'm asking about an award ticket, so I won't be able to just get the fare difference unfortunately...

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Hello,

I was wondering, if booked in F and Thai does an aircraft swap for one without F, what happens in this case?

Would TG be willing to re-route/re-book on a different flight that has F when I arrive at the airport?

I'm asking about an award ticket, so I won't be able to just get the fare difference unfortunately...

Thanks
Which carrier issued the award ticket?

Your options such as a refund of miles with no penalty, or changing the date of travel, might depend on how far in advance of the flight that the change is notified.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

It would be an Aeroplan award ticket.

Won't be able to refund for miles since I will have another segment in F.

What would happen if it was a last minute aircraft swap (Ie. A380 - B777)? Any idea whether Thai would help me out here and re-route me in F?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
maybe you tell us your Routing, then somebody can give you an idea
- likelihood of a aircraft swap
- what you could expect from TG in case this happens
and would you also be willing to postpone your flight, for example fly one day later?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Planning on flying BKK-KIX on TG672.
Looking at history, seems like there's a swap to 777 or 330! every once in a while.

My plans, once booked would not be flexible enough such that I can leave a day later. I would be willing to reroute either BKK-NRT or BKK-HND if TG offered.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:39 am

those 3 routes have 2 flights per day, usually one with F the other not
I guess that TG would in such a case be ok to reroute you to NRT or HND if F seats are available, but would not cover flight or Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
When DPS had F some years ago but aircraft was changed to a non-747, there was an envelope with cash waiting at check-in for F pax. Pax were allowed to use F ground services, so at the end of the day not a significant loss. In the same way, for the day service to KIX a downgrade to C is not a disaster (and if you get cash compensation there is very little to complain about).

Forget about getting rebooked to TYO at check-in. TG will not touch/rebook/rereoute award tickets issued by other carriers.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
those 3 routes have 2 flights per day, usually one with F the other not
I guess that TG would in such a case be ok to reroute you to NRT or HND if F seats are available, but would not cover flight or Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka
Wouldn't look to TG to provide transportation between Tokyo and Osaka, I'd be more than willing to figure that out myself. But alas, based on SK AAR's reply below, I guess this would not be an option.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
When DPS had F some years ago but aircraft was changed to a non-747, there was an envelope with cash waiting at check-in for F pax. Pax were allowed to use F ground services, so at the end of the day not a significant loss. In the same way, for the day service to KIX a downgrade to C is not a disaster (and if you get cash compensation there is very little to complain about).

Forget about getting rebooked to TYO at check-in. TG will not touch/rebook/rereoute award tickets issued by other carriers.
Ah that's unfortunate then, I would've thought TG at time of check-in would be willing to re-route, since they would have control of the ticket at that time. Guess it makes sense that they would not want to touch award tickets issued by others.

So you're saying that TG generally provides cash compensation in case of downgrade? Even for award tickets?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:18 am

I had this case with an award ticket FRA/BKK in F. But the award was booked directly with Thai. The A380 got replaced by a 77W without the F cabin on the return leg. The hotline offered to rebook this leg to MUC instead. But rebooking to an other airport with F cabin aircrafts was only possible within the original country. So no way to switch to CDG or LHR. Also no connection flight MUC/FRA was offered.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I expect it to make a big difference that you are on an award ticket issued by another carrier. The day of departure doesn't mean that the operating carrier may change/rereoute the ticket. Most likely you will be asked to contact the issuing carrier for rebooking even on the day of dept. (but admittedly, I have no first hand experience, so I'm just assuming).

Equipment change and downgrade from F has been solved previously with a cash compensation from TG, even when on award tickets. You may want to search the TG forum to look for threads about downgrades from F to C, e.g. these:

DPS-BKK changed to 744 all series

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...downgrade.html

Whether TG has changed practise subsequently, I have no idea, sorry.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:50 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Award flight BKK-FRA for next July has been downgraded from F to J even though the A380 still operating on this leg, there are no F seats for revenue sale either.

This is a United Award booking and I blindly accepted the schedule change online without even realising it was a cabin downgrade ... now I have to find some alternatives and call back United to sort out this minor mess and get onto a F flight ex-BKK, preferably on an A380.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Award flight BKK-FRA for next July has been downgraded from F to J even though the A380 still operating on this leg, there are no F seats for revenue sale either.
This is a United Award booking and I blindly accepted the schedule change online without even realising it was a cabin downgrade ... now I have to find some alternatives and call back United to sort out this minor mess and get onto a F flight ex-BKK, preferably on an A380.
Good luck! Find the F space first and then negotiate with United to change the ticket with a fee waiver.
alanslegal likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:05 pm

A380 on BKK FRA depends on season. During low season (European summer) it is usually replaced by a 777. that was regulary the case during last years. CDG or LHR are the other European destinations, where TG is flying with A380. F also available to MUC on a 747 and no F for all other European destinations
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Do report back on how successful you were in rebooking.

When I was looking a little while back, I had hard time finding availability on the CDG and LHR routes. MUC was pretty open though.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:40 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Good luck! Find the F space first and then negotiate with United to change the ticket with a fee waiver.
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Do report back on how successful you were in rebooking.

When I was looking a little while back, I had hard time finding availability on the CDG and LHR routes. MUC was pretty open though.
It worked out a bit better for me as I wanted to push back my travels by a week and as the agent could not offer me a reasonable solution, I was allowed to cancel, redeposit my points without any penalty as a base member. There are flights via MUC that could easily work in my situation but I was happy to get the points back as I do have an AAward on hold that works out a little bit better for me (QF F to SIN, connecting to BA F to LHR). I might just rebook with TG F ex CDG/FRA/LHR back home.
Tokyoite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.