Can I merge or link two Thai reservations?

Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Can I merge or link two Thai reservations?

I'm doing a stopover in BKK arriving Friday 4:20pm from SYD and going out to LHR on Monday morning at 1:10am. This itinerary is all on Thai.

If I make a second Thai reservation out of BKK for the weekend, can I link the two reservations / or merge them?

Specifically, the BKK to PNH is at 6:45pm, which is slightly tight.

The PNH to BKK arrives at 10:20, which is better for a 1:10am connection

Any thoughts or help welcomed. I will likely call Thai in the next few days but FT folks always seem to know these sorts of things.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Nope. Two separate tickets, if you miss one connection you are in deep...
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
This is 'nesting', which I have done to achieve to reduce costs but means you do carry the risk if the 'outer' sectors change for any reason and impinge on the inner sectors as noted above.

Airlines much prefer you to buy the whole thing on one ticket - at a higher price! There is nothing in it for them to merge the tickets and accept the risks you would have on 2 separate tickets, and at a lower price (potentially anyway).
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Hmm. I did this not to save cost but because the BKK-PNH is personal whereas the rest of the trip is for business.

I am going to call TG tmrw.

One idea I have is to ask TG to re-ticket the original reservation with the added sectors. I may need to pay an $100 AUD reticketing fee, but this may actually be worth it to have one itinerary.

The other idea is just to book a much later flight Friday night, but not on TG - I'd do bangkok airways, which means I wouldn't get to use SA Gold lounge.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You can't link the reservations, but TG will put a note in the second reservation that you're arriving on a separate ticket. They're generally pretty accommodating on this kind of stuff (unlike some other airlines).

I do separate tix all the time and 2:25 at BKK is not particularly risky.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can't link the reservations, but TG will put a note in the second reservation that you're arriving on a separate ticket. They're generally pretty accommodating on this kind of stuff (unlike some other airlines).

I do separate tix all the time and 2:25 at BKK is not particularly risky.
that is also my experience and with 2 h 25 min I would not worry at all
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks, folks.

Following your advice, I arrive on the 16:20 and have booked the 18:45 BKK to PNH on TG.

I will call Thai to link the two reservations tmrw.

Two odd questions:

1) If my itinerary is SYD-BKK-LHR albeit with a 2 day stop, any chance Thai will let me check a bag all the way through to LHR? I assume no.

2) Are there places inside the BKK Airport where I could store a bag for 2 days?

You may ask, why? The answer - 1-2 bottles of wine to bring to Europe.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:45 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by captain_starwood
2) Are there places inside the BKK Airport where I could store a bag for 2 days?
Easy google search : http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/e...aggage-service
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I will call Thai to link the two reservations tmrw.
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can't link the reservations
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:26 am
Original Poster

I called Thai. You can link reservations, contrary to what is noted above. Thai does it all the time and is happy to put then together and add notes.

As for the baggage, I appreciate the google search. I have a layover of 2hr 25 minutes. Will I have time to go that desk (outside security, I gather), check bags, and then go through security? Seems difficult to me.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:20 am

As for the baggage, I appreciate the google search. I have a layover of 2hr 25 minutes. Will I have time to go that desk (outside security, I gather), check bags, and then go through security? Seems difficult to me.
you can easily make it if you have fast track Access (TG J or F; or you buy one of the services provided)
with Y and no fast track service it is a bit tight despite later afternoons are not the busiest time
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks, BinSabai. I arrive J but go out to PNH on Y, though I am star alliance gold. Does that matter? What if I get a fast track cert? Thai may be able to give me this since I have 3 day stopover and my next leg on Monday night is in J.

The other idea is to upgrade my PNH ticket to business class using miles.

What do you think?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Linking the tickets does not provide you with the irops protection of a single ticket. It's no more than a free form field in the PNR. TG may be accommodating but doesn't have to be.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:55 am

Thanks, BinSabai. I arrive J but go out to PNH on Y, though I am star alliance gold. Does that matter? What if I get a fast track cert? Thai may be able to give me this since I have 3 day stopover and my next leg on Monday night is in J.

The other idea is to upgrade my PNH ticket to business class using miles.

What do you think?
at least you have Inbound fasttrack, so you will need not more then 30 - max 40 minutes to get through Inbound immigration, pick up luggage and go up to departure check in. So this makes it feasible even if you have long queues for check in and immigration/security in Y
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

To be clear, I think they will likely be able to route my bags from SYD-PNH, so no need to get bags, unless I want to pick one bag up to put in storage.

From what you're saying, 30-40 minutes to pick up and store bags seems doable.

Is there a special line for Star Alliance Gold? This is where the upgrade to business class could be good value - exiting immigration, getting checked bag, storing it, then going back through security

thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.