Wiki Posts
Search

Through Check-In on Separate Tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Through Check-In on Separate Tickets

I am travelling the following itinerary soon: Dubai - TG via Bangkok - Hong Kong - BR via Taipei - Toronto and back the same way. The TG and BR tickets are booked separately. I am quite sure BR will tag my bags all the way to Dubai on the way back. My concern is that whether I would be able check my bags all the way to Toronto from Dubai. Does TG through check on separate tickets? I will arrive Hong Kong at about 9 am and the TG flight departs at 1 pm - I afraid I might not have enough time if bags cannot be checked through.

By the way, the connections on the TG ticket is only 1.20 hr both way, is that enough to go through the transit immigration and security, possibly changing terminal and so forth? (The other options all have a 5+ hours connections which would not work for me.)

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Last edited by cwl6750084; May 16, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
TG is quite generous re check through luggage in particular as it is a *A Partner
anyway 4 hours in Hongkong would be plenty to retrieve bags and check in again
1.20 is also enough for the Connection in BKK as legs are on same ticket, if arriving flight is not heavily delayed
Old May 17, 2017, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree, most likely the agent at DXB will tag your bags to final destination. Just show the agent your onward BR ticket and ask nicely. You need to get your BR boarding pass at HKG transfer desks.

Anyway, 4 hours at HKG is more than sufficient to retrieve bags and proceed for timely check-in with BR. You could have done it with 2 hours...

There is absolutely nothing to worry about here.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the advice. I have an hospital appointment at 10.30, would have to go into the city and back to the airport. While I am not worried about immigration and customs at HKIA, I do worried about baggage delivery. Since last Christmas, I travelled to Hong Kong 4 four times, I had to wait for almost 90 minutes for my bags to come out on 3 out of those 4 trips. I was talking to the ground staffs at one point, and was told that long wait time at the baggage claim hall has become the norm at HKIA ...
Old May 17, 2017, 4:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have another question. What is the on time performance of TG 518 from Dubai? In case of delay, is it likely that they would transfer us to another airlines? The BR flight will depart HKG at 3.30 pm, in case of delay, the next TG flight will arrive Hong Kong at 2.20 pm. Would they be able to put us on other Bangkok to Hong Kong flight? Thanks.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cwl6750084
In case of delay, is it likely that they would transfer us to another airlines? The BR flight will depart HKG at 3.30 pm, in case of delay, the next TG flight will arrive Hong Kong at 2.20 pm. Would they be able to put us on other Bangkok to Hong Kong flight? Thanks.
Unlikely. You booked BR HKG to YYZ as a separate ticket and thus of no concern to TG. But also unlikely that the TG flight ex DXB will be late and cause you to miss your original flight BKK-HKG.

Even if you got rebooked to TG628 arriving HKG at 2:20PM you will still make your BR flight at 3:30PM - no problem! (provided of course that TG has checked your bags to final destination).

Pls don't overthink this. You are unlikely to face any issues with such a generous layover at HKG.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Unlikely. You booked BR HKG to YYZ as a separate ticket and thus of no concern to TG. But also unlikely that the TG flight ex DXB will be late and cause you to miss your original flight BKK-HKG.

Even if you got rebooked to TG628 arriving HKG at 2:20PM you will still make your BR flight at 3:30PM - no problem! (provided of course that TG has checked your bags to final destination).

Pls don't overthink this. You are unlikely to face any issues with such a generous layover at HKG.
Thank you very much for your comments. This is the first time I booked separately like this - I used to do so for Doha - Dubai and Dubai - Destination. But never a break in the middle like this, and it is the first time I fly TG - that is why I am a bit worried. However, thanks for your comments and I have a much peaceful piece of mind now.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Data point: 2 separate tickets, both *A, no issues

Today I had no issues checking bags through to LHR on two separate tickets as follows. I am ROP*G.

TG ICN-BKK-OSL in J (12 hrs long connection in BKk), then separate ticket 5 hours after arrival to London on SK OSL-LHR in Y

Checked in at ICN to OSL, but asked bags to be checked only to BKK. I had a long connection of 12 hours and explained I wanted to go shopping. My experience living in Korea suggested that it simply wouldnt be worth trying to get bags checked through from ICN, espcially with the long connection.

Arrived BKK, collected bags, entered Thailand, went to the A row business class check-in counter. I explained I had a separate ticket on SK and asked if my bags could be tagged through OSL to LHR. I noted I had already checked in for the BKK-OSL sector.

No problems, and the very helpful staff member double checked that all was in order before processing everything. Could not have been easier, with no questions or comments made about the separate ticket.

I didn't have to pay the 700 THB departure tax, but was prepared to if necessary - since it was not paid on my ticket.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:24 pm

well done Thai-Kiwi given the rather picky and stubborn check in people at Incheon (contractor)
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thai-Kiwi, thank you for reporting back. Your experience only confirms the predominant impression in this forum that TG in Thailand has no issues with checking bags to final destination when on separate tickets.

Now, the really interesting question would have been if your OSL-LHR flight was with BA...
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I picked a fairly long connection at OSL to mitigate any delay on the TG flight. So it made sense to pay a littel more to fly SK, so at least the Mrs and I can loaf in the lounge.

I have to say that despite doing a bit of research, I was still surprised to have to enter Norway rather than simple do a security check and move to departures - and I am slowly starting to see the whole non-Schengen thing 'in action'.

I have figured out that we will need to allow enought time to leave the lounge and go through passport control to the F gates and 'hang out' there for our SK flight to LHR.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I have to say that despite doing a bit of research, I was still surprised to have to enter Norway rather than simple do a security check and move to departures - and I am slowly starting to see the whole non-Schengen thing 'in action'.
so what are they doing with transit passengers, who need Schengen visa but do not have?
any other Airport in Schengen land I know you can transit from Non Schengen to Non Schengen without immigration
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
so what are they doing with transit passengers, who need Schengen visa but do not have?
any other Airport in Schengen land I know you can transit from Non Schengen to Non Schengen without immigration
No idea. I asked about transit to LHR, and was told just stand in the arrivals line and get processed. So it seems I had to enter Norway even if I didn't want to. there appeared to be a booth that could perform this non-Schengen to non-Schengen transit function, but it was closed.

Have just finished a recce to see how big the passport control queue appears to be, and staff recommended we pass through 1 hour before the flight.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
TG Wwere happy ti interline me from TG to emirates yesterday. Departed Phuket and just needed to go to transfer desk at Bangkok to get to put a number in the system to make sure baggage connected with flight. Bag arrived

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.