Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Long layover in BKK, what's TG policy on hotel and luggage?

Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ,DL,KE

I'm about to buy a TG ticket with exactly 24 hours layover in BKK (it is sold as one ticket at TG website). I'm hoping there are some ff:ers who may have some updated info on this as I only see old info on web and threads:

1. Is TG offering a transit hotel like in the good old days or is it all changed now?
2. What happens to the luggage when it is *exactly* 24 hours connection? I should not need to re-checkin the luggage in BKK... right? Or is this technically a stop-over?
3. I'm assuming I cannot check-in into the second flight since it should not be open when I board the first flight. But I land in BKK at 1 am. Any problems with transfer desk opening times?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
IMHO, and I'd be happy to be corrected:
Re 1: STPC is usually given if the long connection in unavoidable and basically forced on you by the schedules. If in C or F, you might have chance, in whY I don't think so. I am guessing that you are trying to do ICN-BKK-ZRH on TG657 and TG970 which I can see as being sold with layover of 23h 55min, but it is NOT the only available (and not even the cheapest)... So, it is your choice and I think you are trying to maximise and I do not think you will get STPC from TG...
Re 2 & 3: I do not know enough to answer or even speculate on this... But I would not leave my luggage at BKK airport for such a long time...

Last edited by vbroucek; Apr 28, 2017 at 12:28 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ,DL,KE
Originally Posted by vbroucek
IMHO, and I'd be happy to be corrected:
Re 1: STPC is usually given if the long connection in unavoidable and basically forced on you by the schedules. If in C or F, you might have chance, in whY I don't think so. I am guessing that you are trying to do ICN-BKK-ZRH on TG657 and TG970 which I can see as being sold with layover of 23h 55min, but it is NOT the only available (and not even the cheapest)... So, it is your choice and I think you are trying to maximise and I do not think you will get STPC from TG...
Re 2 & 3: I do not know enough to answer or even speculate on this... But I would not leave my luggage at BKK airport for such a long time...
Almost correct; I'm trying ICN-BKK-ARN on TG657 and TG960 which is what the system gave me as cheapest in Y with exactly 24h layover. I need to fly with heavy luggage this time so TGs 30kg policy fits me as well. Looking at the schedule, I could probably catch later flights from ICN to lessen this gap but not at that price. Ah well, I guess I'll find a cheap hotel nearby. Still wondering about leaving luggage in BKK though... the airport security/efficiency is that bad?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
What class and when? My random searches for ICN-BKK-ARN on TG website are returning TG635+TG960 as the cheapest option in economy as well as in business...

Really not sure about the airport security/efficiency - just what I have read around here...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I was several times on Connection through BKK with layover more then 12 hours and overnight. I had never any Problem with my luggage.
Problem will be that in ICN they will probably not check through your luggage as time to departure is more then 24 hours. check in people in ICN are quite strict and not with the usual "TG flexibility". you might Need the help of the Supervisor, but there is still some probability, that they do not check it through
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
As vbroucek noted, STPC (Stop Paid by Carrier) is not applicable if there are other suitable connections.

I have done what you are looking at many times to provide an overnight to catch up with friends. I usually do collect bags in BKK in those cases.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Beware that if you come out you'll have to pay 700 Baht exit tax to get back in.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Beware that if you come out you'll have to pay 700 Baht exit tax to get back in.
You *may* have to pay THB700. I managed to not pay recently on a SIN-BKK-ICN in business class.

Arrived BKK 22:40, departed 07:30. Bags checked through, and I had both boarding passes. Cleared immigration/customs, stayed in a hotel, returned and just departed through the THAI F/J check-in area through the dedicated fast track.

The THB 700 is the usual departure tax (or PSC) from BKK (not an 'exit' tax), and I would have been *happy* to pay if asked.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
if "transit" is over 24 hours I would assume that they automatically handle this as a stopover and charge the 700 THB. but you never know the logic of such engines...
Old May 1, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
if "transit" is over 24 hours I would assume that they automatically handle this as a stopover and charge the 700 THB. but you never know the logic of such engines...
I think so. My NZ trip in Feb had long layover >24 hours both ways and the fare included KRW 46400TS, which is around THB1400 (i.e. 2x THB 700)
Old May 1, 2017, 4:13 pm

I have seen document (cannot find it anymore) where TA's booking KL and AF tickets through BKK were instructed to include the tax for all layovers longer than 12 hours.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:48 am

STPC on award F/J

Hi guys, anyone has any experience of getting STPC or even discounted rate hotel by TG while having long layover on award F/J ticket? I will be flying in BKK on F and out to KL on J the next day morning. Or should I book a hotel myself? Help very much appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:29 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Never had a paid/complimentary hotel provided for in my dozen or so F award flights with long layovers - except once, where I landed at 06:00 - departing 19:00, and even then I declined that as I was planning to spend the bulk of the day in town anyway (and not hibernating in a hotel room).
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Hi guys, anyone has any experience of getting STPC or even discounted rate hotel by TG while having long layover on award F/J ticket? I will be flying in BKK on F and out to KL on J the next day morning. Or should I book a hotel myself? Help very much appreciated.
Book your own hotel.
BinSabai, SK AAR and Tokyoite like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Book a hotel. Or take a bench while the lounge is closed. Simple as that.
BinSabai likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.