Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Anything new on TG's relaunch of North America service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anything new on TG's relaunch of North America service?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by joaozinho
this quote was rather prescient!!
it was rather clear for me that SQ will be back for me one day on the SIN JFK route if equipment is feasible...but not TG
whether It's break even is another question...
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
I hope TG has learned a lesson and not try to "keep up with the Jones (SQ)"

BKK is more of a tourist destination and doing SFO or even ORD direct to BKK would be really hard to make a profit, let alone break even.

That being said, I do wish there was a direct BKK-SFO flight! Doing BKK-NRT-SFO-PDX is very tiresome, even in FIRST class!
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by kittiyut; Oct 20, 2018 at 11:12 am Reason: correct typo
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:29 am

Anyone hear through the weeds anything on relaunching LAX or that rumored SEA flight?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:58 pm

ok just found this:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1MT19V

money quote:
It would also give the airline the capacity to relaunch U.S. flights assuming Thailand’s safety rating is upgraded by the Federal Aviation Administration.

“We also have to do proper market studies whether it is the east coast, the west coast or whatever,” Chantalitanon said of U.S. flights. “At the moment we have not decided where our metal is going to land and we also need the delivery of our future fleet.”

The flights would compete against non-stop U.S. flights from Southeast Asian rivals Singapore Airlines Ltd (SIAL.SI) and Philippine Airlines Inc [PHL.UL]. Chantalitanon said there was enough premium traffic from Thailand and neighboring countries to make the flights viable.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:51 am

Very preliminary, but the TG analysts' briefing presentation from November 21, 2018 says that the FAA pre-audit for Thailand is scheduled for January 2019.

See the second-to-last slide: http://thai.listedcompany.com/misc/P...fing3q2018.pdf
joaozinho likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: TG*G , PR Classic
I think TG cannot start new route yet cause from 787 engine issue is not resolve yet in soon.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by nattime
I think TG cannot start new route yet cause from 787 engine issue is not resolve yet in soon.
you are of course right because this causes currently a shortage of long haul airplanes with flat seats in J.
But I guess that this problem should be resolved within the next 3-6 month so that TG could restart its USA flight towards the end of 2019
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:25 am

wow nice find!!!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
TG has quite a few aircraft they could use. Not just 789. Starting with the 359 (which SQ already flies to SFO). They previously flew the 77W via ICN and could do something like that again. The 77W could also make BKK-SEA nonstop. The 380 could make SFO but that's probably too much capacity. The 744s also have great range, but doubt that's the right aircraft for a US route given their age and condition.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
TG has quite a few aircraft they could use. Not just 789. Starting with the 359 (which SQ already flies to SFO). They previously flew the 77W via ICN and could do something like that again. The 77W could also make BKK-SEA nonstop. The 380 could make SFO but that's probably too much capacity. The 744s also have great range, but doubt that's the right aircraft for a US route given their age and condition.
i doubt they will do a non-stop after the horrible and costly experience they had…
but you are right, several options regarding airplane
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BinSabai
i doubt they will do a non-stop after the horrible and costly experience they had…
It's an interesting question. A nonstop would give them a competitive advantage over everyone else. And the 359 or 789 would be much more economical than the fuel hogging 345 was. But yes risky putting all the eggs in one basket . . . .
BinSabai likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I know it's anecdotal (multiplied a few times) but I have probably 3-5 friends/contacts send me a message about getting to Thailand and why there are so many stops and ask me how to find the non-stops. Maybe 1 person (2 pax) would be paid J, the rest would be coach or maybe PE.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
If SQ struggles with their SIN-EWR route, what chances do TG and their incompetence management have?
Starting a US direct, non-stop service again would be just another "keeping up with the Jones" and will doom to fail.

Unlike Singapore, the majority of pax flying to and from the US are tourist, students, and others that will not or can not afford to pay biz fares. Would it be so wrong to apply the 20-80 principle to aviation?

It would be an art and science to figure out the optimum ratio of Biz/PE/Eco seats for the Thai market. SQ's Biz and all Premium Eco is not working out quite what they had expected. When there's no Eco to differentiate, Premium becomes Non-Premium. And who wants to fly 19-20 hrs in cattle class? I wouldn't even want to be in Biz for that long.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by kittiyut
If SQ struggles with their SIN-EWR route, what chances do TG and their incompetence management have?
Starting a US direct, non-stop service again would be just another "keeping up with the Jones" and will doom to fail.

Unlike Singapore, the majority of pax flying to and from the US are tourist, students, and others that will not or can not afford to pay biz fares. Would it be so wrong to apply the 20-80 principle to aviation?

It would be an art and science to figure out the optimum ratio of Biz/PE/Eco seats for the Thai market. SQ's Biz and all Premium Eco is not working out quite what they had expected. When there's no Eco to differentiate, Premium becomes Non-Premium. And who wants to fly 19-20 hrs in cattle class? I wouldn't even want to be in Biz for that long.
agreed.
However I guess whatever they do with US routes, they will never get profitable on those as competition is high, they will never be able to serve more than 2-3 locations and have limited opportunities to engage in cooperations for Feeders
It is just a matter of reputation and influence of TIPs
brunos likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
It is just a matter of reputation and influence of TIPs
Exactly. Poor economics has rarely stood in the way of TG's decisionmaking.

If US-BKK doesn't pencil out for UA, it's not going to pencil for TG, either. But that doesn't mean they won't do it
BinSabai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.