Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ICN-BKK TG659 First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

ICN-BKK TG659 First Class?

I noticed TG is operating the 744 on the ICN-BKK route these days, and it looks like first class is being offered on this route as a result.
What is strange though is when I search for a one-way ticket from ICN to BKK on TG's website, business class is the highest class of service being sold. (I was looking at random dates in October)
However, when I search for ICN-BKK using miles, proper first class is being sold as O class.
So in other words, first class is bookable using miles but not with cash on ICN-BKK, which is very confusing...
Does this mean TG is actually not operating first class for ICN-BKK but award seats are being sold as a mistake?
Has anyone flown this route in F recently?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:14 pm

The change to 744 takes effect on 2 May 2017.

Proper F class inventory is loaded on the flights, and TG has filed an F fare for the route, so I'm not sure why it doesn't appear when you search.

Either way, it looks like they intend to operate F when it switches over to the 744 (unless they change their mind last-minute, which would be far from surprising). I would book O class without worrying about whether you will get to fly F.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by agjil
I noticed TG is operating the 744 on the ICN-BKK route these days, and it looks like first class is being offered on this route as a result.
What is strange though is when I search for a one-way ticket from ICN to BKK on TG's website, business class is the highest class of service being sold. (I was looking at random dates in October)
However, when I search for ICN-BKK using miles, proper first class is being sold as O class.
So in other words, first class is bookable using miles but not with cash on ICN-BKK, which is very confusing...
Does this mean TG is actually not operating first class for ICN-BKK but award seats are being sold as a mistake?
Has anyone flown this route in F recently?
It is bookable in F using the multi-city tool, even though return/one-way booking in F (ex-ICN) is not possible.

I alerted the local Seoul office of this peculiarity some months ago, and they were aware if it, noting the 'problem' was with HQ in Bangkok.

The 744 has ben used on and off for the past 4 months. I flew ICN-BKK in J in early Feb and wondered the same - would the F cabin be avilable with J service? Checkin and crew told me no. However there were no F pax outbound.

Price for a standby upgrade was outrageous for this 5 hour flight, so I didn't pursue this possibility.

Cherrs TK
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold
The change to 744 takes effect on 2 May 2017.

Proper F class inventory is loaded on the flights, and TG has filed an F fare for the route, so I'm not sure why it doesn't appear when you search.

Either way, it looks like they intend to operate F when it switches over to the 744 (unless they change their mind last-minute, which would be far from surprising). I would book O class without worrying about whether you will get to fly F.
The weird thing is that when I search for ICN-BKK-ICN, F is sold only on the BKK-ICN segment, and when I search for just ICN-BKK, F is not being sold at all. (for cash bookings)
However, when I search for BKK-ICN-BKK, F is sold on both BKK-ICN and ICN-BKK.

So it looks like for cash bookings F is not available on the ICN-BKK segment when the ticket is originating in ICN for whatever reason.

Funnily enough, when using miles, F is bookable on a one way ticket for ICN-BKK, so I booked it just now.

I really hope I won't get TGed under this strange situation.

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
It is bookable in F using the multi-city tool, even though return/one-way booking in F (ex-ICN) is not possible.

I alerted the local Seoul office of this peculiarity some months ago, and they were aware if it, noting the 'problem' was with HQ in Bangkok.

The 744 has ben used on and off for the past 4 months. I flew ICN-BKK in J in early Feb and wondered the same - would the F cabin be avilable with J service? Checkin and crew told me no. However there were no F pax outbound.

Price for a standby upgrade was outrageous for this 5 hour flight, so I didn't pursue this possibility.

Cherrs TK
Yeah I observed the same strange results as you did.
I just booked a one-way award ticket for ICN-BKK in F, and I am not able to pre-book an F meal.
TG's website errors out saying there are no meal options loaded.
It sounds like TG's reservation system was not properly updated to handle F reservations on this route.
I hope I don't end up with just a seat in F and everything else with J class standard...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Marriott Titanium
TGD

FYI I already got TGd on this role (after a day of booking), so YYMV.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
TG 658 too?

Looks like for next year TG 658 will also have first class - is this correct?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Jish
Looks like for next year TG 658 will also have first class - is this correct?
I think it is too early to be certain. THAI seems to load each set of Summer/Winter fares (and possibly types) about 3-4 month out.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Think it'll stick until December? Looking at an award flight and can do LAX-ICN-BKK on OZ and TG F. Will only spend my UA miles if both are F otherwise I can just go on BR J.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Think it'll stick until December? Looking at an award flight and can do LAX-ICN-BKK on OZ and TG F. Will only spend my UA miles if both are F otherwise I can just go on BR J.
maybe because it's a high-season but you may get TG'ed last minute.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:45 am

I booked BKK-ICN-JFK in F with TG/OZ flights are early Jan. 2018. Hoping the schedule sticks
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I went ahead and booked BR/TG J LAX-TPE-BKK. I'll keep an eye out closer to the date and if it's available would do the LAX-ICN-BKK in F on OZ/TG (though I would prefer LAX-TYO NH F). Just not worth the gamble to spend 130k miles and get TG'd to only have F on the OZ midnight flight.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I went ahead and booked BR/TG J LAX-TPE-BKK. I'll keep an eye out closer to the date and if it's available would do the LAX-ICN-BKK in F on OZ/TG (though I would prefer LAX-TYO NH F). Just not worth the gamble to spend 130k miles and get TG'd to only have F on the OZ midnight flight.
frankly speaking for me F on the transpacific route during night would be sufficient and for the "short" daylight trip from ICN to BKK I would not much bother whether in F or J
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:13 pm

TG finally loaded the First Class pre-order meal option for this route. I have been trying for a couple of weeks and was only able to successfully pre-order last night.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by imverge
TG finally loaded the First Class pre-order meal option for this route. I have been trying for a couple of weeks and was only able to successfully pre-order last night.
do they have Korean meals (such as Bulgogi, Bibimbab, Kalbijim) like they have on the routes from Japan?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
do they have Korean meals (such as Bulgogi, Bibimbab, Kalbijim) like they have on the routes from Japan?
Nope... mainly Thai inspired dishes except Lobster.

FYI: I'm booked on a one-way BKK-ICN so they may offer Korean meals on ICN-BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.