50% miles Gold benefit Jan 1?

Old Dec 31, 2016, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai Royal Orchid Gold, Flying Blue Gold, Emirates Silver
50% miles Gold benefit Jan 1?

Dear All,

I can't find any information on when the 50% miles gold benefit will kick in. Has anyone of you heard anything on when it will be live?

Thanks for any info,

Sincerely,
GJ
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by true1976
Dear All,

I can't find any information on when the 50% miles gold benefit will kick in. Has anyone of you heard anything on when it will be live?

Thanks for any info,

Sincerely,
GJ
I checked my account and it's showing there now, together with 5000 bonus points.
But I'm a bit confused: for flying 50000 each year don't we get 2 GUP? Has that changed or is my memory faulty ( equally possible)?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Dear All,

Thanks for any info,

Sincerely,
GJ
The THAI website notes under Gold Benefits:

• Complimentary Round – Trip with THAI upgrades
• Complimentary Air Award Yearly Discount
I assume the OP is referring the 50% discount on an award ticket - i.e. the second bullet. This used to be (more than 10 years ago) the old 'birthday' award for birthday month (+/-1), but I understand it is now available throughout the year?

The website also comments:
Gold Birthday Award 2016

Exclusively for Gold status members, redeem Award travel on THAI at 50% less miles during 2016,plus enjoy benefits with partners during your birth month. Click here
I suspect it will take a while to update the website, but I assume it will be the same for 2017.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The THAI website notes under Gold Benefits:

I assume the OP is referring the 50% discount on an award ticket - i.e. the second bullet. This used to be (more than 10 years ago) the old 'birthday' award for birthday month (+/-1), but I understand it is now available throughout the year?

The website also comments:

I suspect it will take a while to update the website, but I assume it will be the same for 2017.
Yes, sorry, this is what I was referring to. I called Thai call center today and they said it is not active yet but need to wait until Jan 3 to make sure. It does not show under the "Gold Award Eligibility" (https://www.thaiairways.com/app/rop/...d_eligibility/) so I assume it is up to them to make it active.

Cheers for any info,

GJ
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, sorry, this is what I was referring to. I called Thai call center today and they said it is not active yet but need to wait until Jan 3 to make sure. It does not show under the "Gold Award Eligibility" (https://www.thaiairways.com/app/rop/...d_eligibility/) so I assume it is up to them to make it active.

Cheers for any info,

GJ
I am also interested to know whether this will be confirmed for 2017! In the mid-2000s, it used to be an 'unpublished' birthday benefit, meaning that from year to year you couldn't be certain it would be repeated at all, or if it would be replaced with something different.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
They usually send out an e-mail/Newsletter with this benefit, but not necessarily in January. The Gold/Platinum Award Eligibility page on the website only shows the GUP/PUP awards, as far as I know, and not the 50% discount awards.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
They usually send out an e-mail/Newsletter with this benefit, but not necessarily in January. The Gold/Platinum Award Eligibility page on the website only shows the GUP/PUP awards, as far as I know, and not the 50% discount awards.
yeah that is an inofficial benefit; first it was only eligible for your birthday month but has later been extended to whole year and has been prolonged year after year...so people get used to it and they would receive a lot of complaints if they suddenly stop...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thaikwai
The THAI website shows this regarding the 50% Birthday Award: https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ro...old-Award.page
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:41 am
Original Poster

The THAI website shows this regarding the 50% Birthday Award: https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ro...old-Award.page
I could call Thai Airways today and was able to use the 50% birthday benefit for 2017 (I used mine in 2016 so this is definitely the new one). I had to insist for them to check with ROP center and was able to book and issue my ticket.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,
GJ
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could call Thai Airways today and was able to use the 50% birthday benefit for 2017 (I used mine in 2016 so this is definitely the new one). I had to insist for them to check with ROP center and was able to book and issue my ticket.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,
GJ
Indeed it does!. Which THAI office did you call? Bangkok or your local?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Indeed it does!. Which THAI office did you call? Bangkok or your local?
Bangkok, +662-356-11-11 then press 9, then 3, then 1. Very nice staff and helpful!

Cheers,
GJ
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Confirmed by email to me earlier today...

Dear Mr. Thai-Kiwi

Yes, the 50% less miles had offered in year 2017 as well. You can make use of it by 31Dec2017.

Thank you and best regards,

Khattiya p.
Gold member service dept.
Royal Orchid Plus
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
did they say Platinum will get two???
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:01 pm

One ticket only?

Does anyone know if I can only use that for 1 ticket, or can I use it for multiple tickets on the same itinerary (IE. If I want to take myself and my 3 nominees from MEL to BKK return, can I get 50% off for all of us?)?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:06 pm

Indeed T-K. I've always found Khattiya P to be very helpful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.