FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   How's the lobster thermidor? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1810634-hows-lobster-thermidor.html)

transportprof Dec 23, 2016 5:25 pm

How's the lobster thermidor?

I've got a F (award) ticket booked HKG-BKK with a J connection on to CNX.
One of the First class meal pre-order options is Lobster Thermidor. Has anybody sampled this recently on this, or another TG flight?
Any recommendations on whether to go ahead with such a special order would be welcomed.

BinSabai Dec 24, 2016 2:01 am

one of the easier meals to cook, where catering can not screw up as much as at other dishes
you can always choose pre-order meal and if it is not up to your taste, choose another dish from the normal menu...

hgp Dec 24, 2016 2:09 am

I think the Lobster Thermidor is a good option if this is your first F experience. I've had it a few times, and the meal quality ranges from average (over-cooked, a bit too tough) through to good.

I agree with BinSabai. Pre-order the LT, and then order off the on-board menu if it's not to your liking. You may find the crew says "sorry, you can't order off the menu as you pre-ordered" and this is code for "sorry, we're going to eat the standard menu meals ourselves so you have to stick with what you requested".

transportprof Dec 24, 2016 11:59 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll order the LT. It will give me a chance to compare with SQ's version of this dish.
I don't fly till February. Anyone know how far in advance I could/should pre-order?

Noppasit Dec 24, 2016 5:49 pm

Too salty.

chris63 Dec 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Best choice TG have for my taste ��

Ex SYD it has been sensational

Ordered again for next weeks BKK- HKG

ffly Dec 24, 2016 9:54 pm

Just had it ex-NRT - was ok.
Much preferred the Prawn curry ex-BKK.

Mauibaby2008 Dec 24, 2016 10:07 pm

In May of this year my significant other and I booked Thai F from BKK to SYD with UA miles, ordered the lobster thermidor way in advance - even got an email confirmation of it. Board the flight they hand me a paper menu I said we had ordered the lobster and they said they had no record of it, so no lobster.

Complained to Thai, they said sorry there was a mixup!

so good luck. Heard good things about it ..

kittiyut Dec 27, 2016 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Noppasit (Post 27659531)
Too salty.

Rubbery AND Salty!

Thaikwai Dec 28, 2016 8:52 am

I have booked the Thai Executive Meal No. 1 for tonight's flight to Frankfurt and am quite looking forward to it. The Royal Silk Thai meal I had on my recent Jakarta flight was great, so I have high hopes for tonight. I will let you know if my expectations were met.......

jjjohn Dec 28, 2016 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Thaikwai (Post 27671215)
I have booked the Thai Executive Meal No. 1 for tonight's flight to Frankfurt and am quite looking forward to it. The Royal Silk Thai meal I had on my recent Jakarta flight was great, so I have high hopes for tonight. I will let you know if my expectations were met.......

try the executive set meal before. it was great.

spunk_tokyo Jan 3, 2017 10:51 pm

Normally TG gives half tail of lobster, but on several 2016 winter flights, I were given full tail of lobster servings. Not that I am complaining, is it a permanent 'improvement'? or just a seasonal thing?

spunk_tokyo Jan 3, 2017 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by kittiyut (Post 27669716)
Rubbery AND Salty!

I have never encountered any rubbery lobster thermidor served on Thai F.

I have to agree about the high saltyness level, especially as I have been living on and off in Thailand. My tounge is used to sweet taste of sugar laden food, in almost all meal.

BinSabai Jan 4, 2017 12:42 am

Originally Posted by spunk_tokyo (Post 27701395)
I have to agree about the high saltyness level, especially as I have been living on and off in Thailand. My tounge is used to sweet taste of sugar laden food, in almost all meal.

i found a lot of Thai Food pretty salty...

Tokyoite Jan 6, 2017 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 (Post 27659958)
In May of this year my significant other and I booked Thai F from BKK to SYD with UA miles, ordered the lobster thermidor way in advance - even got an email confirmation of it. Board the flight they hand me a paper menu I said we had ordered the lobster and they said they had no record of it, so no lobster.

Complained to Thai, they said sorry there was a mixup!

so good luck. Heard good things about it ..

how did you "order" it? Online on Thai website?