Thai A350 Flights vs 777 ER

Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by thbe
I was flying on both a few days ago and there are no differences, that really matter. A350 is more new and modern, A380 has more place to stow away your stuff.
The 350, with its carbon fiber fuselage, has a higher cabin pressurization, which means more oxygen and more humidity and a more comfortable overall passenger experience. I would also add that the upper deck on a 380 is not a pleasant place to be in heavy turbulence - one of the worst rides I've ever had was NRT-BKK in J on a TG 380. Additionally, the 350 has larger windows, though this isn't really a "comfort" feature per se.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
The 350, with its carbon fiber fuselage, has a higher cabin pressurization, which means more oxygen and more humidity and a more comfortable overall passenger experience. I would also add that the upper deck on a 380 is not a pleasant place to be in heavy turbulence - one of the worst rides I've ever had was NRT-BKK in J on a TG 380. Additionally, the 350 has larger windows, though this isn't really a "comfort" feature per se.
wonder why upper deck of a 380 is so terrible during turbulence. Any explanation for that?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
This feedback is very helpful! This is exactly the sort of detail that Flyertalk is terrific for.

Seems like A350 is slightly better, but A380 is still good, except in turbulence.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:39 am

I had turbulence in A380 and was in F and felt the impact was much lower to such a large aircraft than to usual wide body aircraft. That's why i raised the question
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
I had turbulence in A380 and was in F and felt the impact was much lower to such a large aircraft than to usual wide body aircraft. That's why i raised the question
It's about both, mass and design. I'm not sure, if the A350 is more comfortable in turbulence than the A380. For passengers it's hard to compare anyway.

Maybe one real difference is, that the TG A388 comes with First and the TG A359 without. So on Business with A359 you are "at the top of the food chain". Plus: It's more unlikely that you get any problems with VVIP on the A359.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
wonder why upper deck of a 380 is so terrible during turbulence. Any explanation for that?
Sure. You're farther from the centerline and will move more when the aircraft rolls on the axis that basically runs between the wings. Same on the UD of a 747.

All told the 388 is a super comfortable, smooth riding aircraft. Just noting a couple points of comparison with the 350. The cabin pressurization is the main one.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:08 pm

Plus: It's more unlikely that you get any problems with VVIP on the A359.
could you explore on that? in comparison to which aircraft?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:17 pm

could you explore on that? in comparison to which aircraft?
It's about A359 vs. A388.

I assume, that VVIP - or their staff - try to avoid airplanes without First.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:10 am

It's about A359 vs. A388.

I assume, that VVIP - or their staff - try to avoid airplanes without First.
in this case not many destinations left...
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:43 pm

in this case not many destinations left...
It's only interesting, if the passenger can choose between A359 and A388. And if the passenger can choose, the VVIP can choose as well - and will more likely fly First.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:30 pm

It's only interesting, if the passenger can choose between A359 and A388. And if the passenger can choose, the VVIP can choose as well - and will more likely fly First.
i think only to LHR, FRA and NRT they have this choice and the second flight beside the A380 could also be on a 777 or even another plane
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up A350 bkk kul svc (sep)

Not much general discussion on the THAI A350 & I didn't want to start a new thread but it seems KUL is finally getting the A350 svc - albeit only for the month of Sep. on the afternoon/evening flights (TG 417 / TG 418).
SIN has been getting the A350/787 on certain flights in certain months for a while now.

Sadly they swapped the 787 on my BKK-MNL to the 777-200 ... I guess you really do win some, lose some ...
If only the aircraft details were published at the time I booked earlier this month, I would have picked the A350 over the 777 anytime (but I still do like the 300ER).
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
"win some, lose some" indeed ! We all have our TGed story....

Mine is doing a same day return BKK-SIN-BKK in 2006 (immediate return), and I specifically selected the 'new config' 744 so I could loaf in the new F seats (only J service). Even better was that a colleague had purchased a business class 'voucher' for regional travel which was expiring - happy to give it to me to me for THB 10,000. Checked in and scored F seats out and back - sweet!

Boarding was delayed for 30-ish minutes. I was then mortified on the bus transfer from the gate to the aircraft for the departure to just keep on going, past various possible airframes and then we stopped outside HS-TGD, a pretty dirty looking B747-300 no less.

Lower deck F was closed off and I was reallocated onto the UD into 'regular J, which had 10 rows of biz seats (40!) crammed in with a seat pitch more like the tiny 737-400. The recently (at that time) refurbished aircraft had angle-flat seats had/have 6.5 rows of biz seats (26 total) in the same sized UD

The cabin crew had clearly been 'scrambled', but managed to hold it together - but there were plenty of confused faces in the cramped UD. We have come a long way in 12 years!

The cabin crew were attentive to topping up my glass - especially when they saw me for the return. All good fun...
BinSabai and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Flew the 350 last Friday in Business class MEL-BKK. I liked it in all aspects. One (male?) toilet was quite enough for Business class. Food was excellent. The lighting was quite relaxing. A VERY quiet airplane.
On the BKK-KUL sector in Business class I flew the 777 ER. A shorter flight and thus easier on my 195 cm body. No idea about comparing it to the 350 since flight duration was so short, BUT the 350 had more relaxing lighting and was noticeably quieter....
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Having done 3 sectors on TGA350 in J nice plane but I hate the seatbelt, very uncomfortable 👎

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.