Duty Free alcohol

Old Sep 3, 16, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA DL HH
Duty Free alcohol

Hello,

I have a question. On my way to Thailand I'm planing on picking up a bottle of liquor. I can do it at LHR before my flight on Thai to BKK or on board TG flying to Thailand. The question I have is: since I'll be transferring in BKK on the way to HKT, and I will supposedly clear the customs and immigration at HKT, will I be able to take it without any problems while in BKK?
I assume that while in BKK, going from intl flight to domestic flight I will have to go through security. Will they let me keep the bottle or not?

I know that it's possible to do it when flying from US to Europe (for example. buying alcohol in Washington, transferring in Frankfurt and connecting to another flight within Europe).

Thanks
Old Sep 3, 16, 7:59 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 18 at 1:22 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Sep 3, 16, 11:28 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
prices at duty free shops in BKK are inflated, also for liquor. I did not check and compare for a while but prices seemed to be higher than in normal department stores in Thailand
OP will not go through normal arrival an immigration in BKK but go to domestic transfer desk immigration and security and in this area there is no duty free shop

sorry I have no experience about the transit security in BKK whether they let you pass with a bottle of liquor, maybe others?
Old Sep 4, 16, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Be careful bringing it from LHR. We flew from CDG to DPS via BKK flying F with TG. The crew onboard gave me a bottle of Champagne because it was my bday. Now the security wanted to confiscate it but the lady who accompanied us from the plane through security told them that these are F passengers and they let us through. So be careful.
Old Sep 5, 16, 12:05 am

Programs: TG ROP *G, KLM FB Gold, LH Silver
Make sure it is placed in a secure bag (provided by duty free shop tell them you have connection) and the receipt is visabled do not open the bag, then you will have no problems, you can also buy on landing there is a small duty free shop in BKK before transfer to domestic flights. Immigation is cleared in BKK, customs is cleared in HKT.
Old Sep 6, 16, 1:04 am
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life
You can buy the booze before your flight, in Bangkok, or in Phuket.

But it must be in a security sealed duty free bag, as stated above.

You can fly a month later again and if it's still sealed, you can clear security and bring it onboard.

I agree with the warning above. Some foreign airports do not allow ANY liquor through the transit/connection security. Ensure you know whether the airport you're passing through has any such restrictions or not... (Thai airports are no problem).
Old Sep 6, 16, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA DL HH
Thank you All for your response. In this case I will get the liquor at LHR before my TG flight.

I wouldn't even think about it if I could buy Jameson at one of the shops in Phuket.
I'll be staying close to the airport and all the stores around that area have only JW Red, Black or vodka.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 6, 16, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca View Post
I'll be staying close to the airport and all the stores around that area have only JW Red, Black or vodka.
go with the flow and drink Mekhong, Saengsom, Lao Khaow or Ya Dong!
Old Jun 8, 18, 1:29 am

Donít fly Thai Airways with alcohol

We recently flew Thai airways from France to Australia with alcohol purchased at airport duty free in France and it was confiscated in Bangkok before boarding to Australia. We had a 2 hour stopover and it was in a sealed bag. So upsetting. Then to top it off, they lost our luggage!!!
Old Jun 8, 18, 2:25 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Luv2holiday View Post
We recently flew Thai airways from France to Australia with alcohol purchased at airport duty free in France and it was confiscated in Bangkok before boarding to Australia. We had a 2 hour stopover and it was in a sealed bag. So upsetting. Then to top it off, they lost our luggage!!!
First, welcome to FlyerTalk!

The confiscated liquids in transit situation is unfortunate, but I have heard of other similar stories, and it appears to be an Australian regulation which any similar connecting airports would have to enforce.

You should probably have been asked by Duty Free staff what you final destination was when making the purchase - not really THAI's fault at all in this case if, indeed, there is an Australian rule on this.

I don't know this for a fact, the the following forum post from ThaiVisa suggests this is the case:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...mment-12303099

On 9/24/2017 at 10:51 PM, wanderluster said: can you buy duty free alcohol in 1 airport, go to the next country and transfer planes with this. obviously seal still intact? I am going bkk to singapore tranfering to another plane for 2nd leg to cairns australia.

thanks
ps i know the 2.25 litres per person rule in australia
To Australia NO. Unless it is in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB), with the invoice attached on the outside.

If if it isn't it will be confiscated in Singapore as it contravenes Australian regulations.

You may be able to buy it in Singapore
Old Jun 8, 18, 2:34 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
OK, there is the official rules here Taking duty free items on board . I suppose ultimately the onus falls on the traveller to ensure that the requirements at the destination are thoroughly understood - but this situation is a bit 'buried'.

Flying into Australia

You can purchase duty free items:
  • at the last airport you stop at before entering Australia if the duty free retailer provides a gate delivery service
  • onboard the last leg of your flight to Australia
  • upon arrival at an Australian international airport.
If you are flying directly into Australia from an international airport and Australia is your final destination, any duty free liquid, aerosol and gel items you purchase and pack in your carry-on baggage are subject to the Australian Government's Immigration and Border Protection quantity restrictions.
Old Jun 8, 18, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
OK, there is the official rules here Taking duty free items on board . I suppose ultimately the onus falls on the traveller to ensure that the requirements at the destination are thoroughly understood - but this situation is a bit 'buried'.[B]
thanks for clarification and the clear rules, Thai-Kiwi!
so poster can't blame the Thai Airport staff (who just enforced Australian's rules). Actually he/she should have realized this earlier as it went through the normal security without any problem, but was confiscated at the second security check for the Australian bound flight at the gate
duty free staff in Europe should have been blamed as they know the rules and must ask for final destination!
Old Jun 8, 18, 4:59 am

I did notice the other day when the the departure gate opened for a Thai flight to Australia everyone had their bags checked before being able to go down to show boarding pass .A lot of unhappy passenger had items taken away from them especially liquids.
Old Jun 8, 18, 6:13 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
It is another one of the ridiculous "security" regulations. With the size of the arrival duty free shop in Sydney one could wonder if it is to boost the business as locals will probably do their shopping there.

(you could make an environmental argument for making duty free strictly on arrival, but that is another discussion)
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jun 8, 18 at 11:19 am
Old Jun 8, 18, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by tg911 View Post
I did notice the other day when the the departure gate opened for a Thai flight to Australia everyone had their bags checked before being able to go down to show boarding pass .A lot of unhappy passenger had items taken away from them especially liquids.
yeah for each flight to Australia...and premium passengers are not even allowed to jump queue...

Search this Thread