FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   First Class Rimowa Kits? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1725862-first-class-rimowa-kits.html)

andyptrav Nov 26, 2016 8:55 am

OMG, it is a sponge bag!
Well, that is what is was called in my youth. The total manufacturing cost must be all of £10 ($15 or whatever). Once you have one there is no use for another unless you are so sad as to want to collect different colours. I never open the sealed bag and just give them away. So long as the bathroom has a toothbrush set there is nothing I need in there.

I dunno, is this just a 'Look at me I flew first class' badge? Somewhat the same as the current fashion of wearing clothes with the label on the outside that shouts at everyone, 'Look at me, I paid £100+ for a shirt' - that more than likely was made in the same factory with the same cloth as one you can buy for under £10 without the stupid 'Designer Label'.

May I break this to you gently? The reason these shirts, sponge bag, or whatever cost so much has nothing to do with manufacturing cost or the quality, the horrendous cost is predominately marketing which, of course, includes paying star athletes, other sports pros and so called celebrities $1,000,000 plus a year for wearing the overpriced crap.

kinchai Nov 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by andyptrav (Post 27528925)
OMG, it is a sponge bag!
Well, that is what is was called in my youth. The total manufacturing cost must be all of £10 ($15 or whatever). Once you have one there is no use for another unless you are so sad as to want to collect different colours. I never open the sealed bag and just give them away. So long as the bathroom has a toothbrush set there is nothing I need in there.

I dunno, is this just a 'Look at me I flew first class' badge? Somewhat the same as the current fashion of wearing clothes with the label on the outside that shouts at everyone, 'Look at me, I paid £100+ for a shirt' - that more than likely was made in the same factory with the same cloth as one you can buy for under £10 without the stupid 'Designer Label'.

May I break this to you gently? The reason these shirts, sponge bag, or whatever cost so much has nothing to do with manufacturing cost or the quality, the horrendous cost is predominately marketing which, of course, includes paying star athletes, other sports pros and so called celebrities $1,000,000 plus a year for wearing the overpriced crap.

BinSabai Nov 26, 2016 5:57 pm

it's called branding!
it's not just fashion bags, clothes etc. Even for some gadgets manufacturing costs are just a fraction of the sales price...

Fishy Nov 26, 2016 9:09 pm

I'm one of the sad people who collect them. Collected almost 30 F kits past 2 years flying F and around 15 of which were from THAI. They were my good memories. I don't show them to anybody. Looking at them pushes me to work harder so I can get on those flights again soon (I'm not a salary man so the more I work the more I earn).

My friends and relatives collect stamps, cards, CDs, posters, stones, coins etc These are junks to me but I understand they have some special meaning to the people who collect them.

BinSabai Nov 26, 2016 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Fishy (Post 27530964)
I'm one of the sad people who collect them. Collected almost 30 F kits past 2 years flying F and around 15 of which were from THAI. They were my good memories. I don't show them to anybody. Looking at them pushes me to work harder so I can get on those flights again soon (I'm not a salary man so the more I work the more I earn).

My friends and relatives collect stamps, cards, CDs, posters, stones, coins etc These are junks to me but I understand they have some special meaning to the people who collect them.

certainly nothing wrong with that! Many do.
I give them away as many people like them, others try to sell them on eBay, others throw them away; to everybody his own.

boogey Nov 27, 2016 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by siam4us (Post 27500679)
I just flew SYD-BKK-FRA yesterday, still Rimowa case but contents are no longer L'occitane. It is something I never ever heard of. I don't like the contents.

yes, true indeed. i dont like the contents of the recent rimowa case on TG F.

BinSabai Nov 29, 2016 7:32 am

got last night one with fragrances and body products from Monteil Paris

Thaikwai Nov 29, 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by andyptrav (Post 27528925)
OMG, it is a sponge bag!

Dear oh Dear oh Dear...poor Andyptrav, obviously not a consumer of First Class on Thai or of designer brands......the "shirts, sponge bag, or whatever" do not cost much, they sell for "much" but then you cannot buy the tiny Rimowa bags anywhere, one can only find them on aircraft in Premium cabins. What's wrong with collecting the different colours...who are you to judge those of us who get pleasure from collecting them...ranting and raving here, on a nice civilised Forum, like a crazy man?

I agree the Rimowa micro-cases are utterly useless for any purpose, but they amuse me. I use the older Tumi canvas bags (pre-Rimowa) for my cables, connectors, medicines, and other small items when I pack my bag. They are practical and I have about 20 of them, plus about 40 of the Rimowa items.

I travel in First Class all the time but you will never find me flaunting it. I have nothing to prove..........

Thaikwai Nov 29, 2016 9:55 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 27541042)
got last night one with fragrances and body products from Monteil Paris

BinSabai, was that a Rimowa bag with the Monteil products? Never heard of the brand, but then that's the whole point isn't it? If we use the products in the amenity bag, and we like them, then we might purchase them when we see them in a shop.

boogey Nov 29, 2016 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Thaikwai (Post 27541692)
BinSabai, was that a Rimowa bag with the Monteil products? Never heard of the brand, but then that's the whole point isn't it? If we use the products in the amenity bag, and we like them, then we might purchase them when we see them in a shop.

hm. of those products of Monteil there in the Rimowa F pouch, i wont like any to buy at the shop. the items are nonsense - just spray water, lotion, lipstick.

BinSabai Nov 29, 2016 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Thaikwai (Post 27541692)

yes correct. I am not going to judge as I neither know all those cosmetic and fragrance brands well nor am I very knowledgeable about the products

mimo123 Feb 13, 2017 9:06 am

Anyone know if I will get one flying BKK-ICN in confirmed F (on their 747).

If not, any way I can ask at the lounge to be given one?

BinSabai Feb 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by mimo123 (Post 27902881)
Anyone know if I will get one flying BKK-ICN in confirmed F (on their 747).

If not, any way I can ask at the lounge to be given one?

do you have a F ticket or just the seat Reservation is on a F seat?

mimo123 Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 27905710)
do you have a F ticket or just the seat Reservation is on a F seat?

i have the actual F ticket

BinSabai Feb 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by mimo123 (Post 27906004)
i have the actual F ticket

if they actually sell F on BKK ICN, then you should also get F service with Rimowa amenity kit, Dom Perignon champagen and pyjamas, but no Caviar (similar as on the F routes to Japan)