Wiki Posts
Search

Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
Award availability

trying to put together a family trip (4 persons) to Thailand using UA miles.

I have found availability for 4 x Global First on UA flights from USA to PVG, and same returning PEK-USA.

My trouble is that the Thai flights (665 PVG-BKK and 674 BKK-PEK) only offer 2 x econ and 2 x Business award availability. I am happy to book this if there is reason to believe Thai would possibly open up un-sold Business seats for award at some point. Flights are 5 months out at this point.

Does Thai release seats at Saver level for partner award closer to flights?

sorry in advance for noob question.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by NightTripper
trying to put together a family trip (4 persons) to Thailand using UA miles.

I have found availability for 4 x Global First on UA flights from USA to PVG, and same returning PEK-USA.

My trouble is that the Thai flights (665 PVG-BKK and 674 BKK-PEK) only offer 2 x econ and 2 x Business award availability. I am happy to book this if there is reason to believe Thai would possibly open up un-sold Business seats for award at some point. Flights are 5 months out at this point.

Does Thai release seats at Saver level for partner award closer to flights?

sorry in advance for noob question.
The simple answer is 'possibly'. Thai is usually very generous with award space (with the possible exception of Japan which they seem to be tightening up lately).

Once a flight is released (open for sale), they release two awards seats at a time until the initial allocation is exhausted (at least in premium classes, don't know about coach). The next two seats they release will be almost instant... if there are more to be allocated. So if you snag the two seats you see - by the time you have finished payment, the next two will already be there.

If you grab the two and another 2 (or 1) don't appear - that means they're all gone, for now.

Thai regularly monitor seats and may release more closer in depending on loads. I have seen a TG flight on the day of departure show F2A2O2 - with 'O' being an F award... so they were willing to give away the last two F seats for awards.

But - no guarantees. If you are happy to accept 2 pax in coach (for a not-so-long flight, and TG economy is reasonably ok) - I'd go ahead.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Award availability

Put the 2 business seats on hold and see if another 2 appear pretty much instantly.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

thank you LHR/MEL/Europe FF for the very informative response, and thank you travelislife for the very helpful suggestion!

will give it a try and report back.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

thank you LHR/MEL/Europe FF for the very informative response, and thank you travelislife for the very helpful suggestion!

will give it a try and report back.
OP reporting back: 75% success

went through the first 2 pax, got Biz class on PVG-BKK-HKT and HKT-BKK-PEK.

moved on to second reservation (also 2 pax), and got Biz on 3 of the 4 legs - everything except the PVG-BKK. Could have been better, could have been much worse.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
OP reporting back: 75% success

went through the first 2 pax, got Biz class on PVG-BKK-HKT and HKT-BKK-PEK.

moved on to second reservation (also 2 pax), and got Biz on 3 of the 4 legs - everything except the PVG-BKK. Could have been better, could have been much worse.
^

looks like they reached the allocation. keep checking back, sometimes seats get released even at short notice before departure.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by travelislife
Put the 2 business seats on hold and see if another 2 appear pretty much instantly.
Does UA allow hold for awards?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Does UA allow hold for awards?
not per se, as I understand it. You are afforded the 24 hour courtesy cancellation window, but nothing beyond that.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:36 pm

What about economy award availability? I'm trying to book 2 seats on TG491 (BKK-AKL) around Feb 21, but I can't seem to find any availability on that flight looking at UA or ANA's award booking tools. The only options they are showing me are terrible connections that have the whole trip take anywhere from 18 to 24 hours (vice 11 hours direct)!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Thai introduces "priority awards" (in addition to regular awards)....

http://edm.royal-orchid-plus.com/Dis...hp?page=page_1
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:21 pm

I wonder when the details will arrive...

how many more miles, and what are their "busy travel periods" and "high demand flights"?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
remember that they wanted to double the miles for awards and then after huge protests they withdraw the whole increase!
are they now trying this again and testing with this announcement whether another storm will raise?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
What about economy award availability? I'm trying to book 2 seats on TG491 (BKK-AKL) around Feb 21, but I can't seem to find any availability on that flight looking at UA or ANA's award booking tools. The only options they are showing me are terrible connections that have the whole trip take anywhere from 18 to 24 hours (vice 11 hours direct)!
Using ExpertFlyer, I see no econ (X) availability on TG direct flights BKK-AKL 21 Feb +/- 3 days. I see 1 seat BKK-MEL 20 Feb, and 1 seat BKK-BNE 21 Feb.

No specific holidays in NZ or Thailand that might have seen award availability snapped up, although University orientation is around this time.

Note: Not sure how accurate EF is with TG award availability.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Dec 23, 2015 at 6:00 am
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I was recently looking at the akl-Bkk for a trip a few months later than yours and couldn't find multiple seats across a variety of dates. I ended up going through bne at the cost of an extra 8 hours total travel time.
That said, I was able to book 4 C seats from bke-bkk using the approach outlined in this thread- booked 2 and the other 2 showed up immediately.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Using ExpertFlyer, I see no econ (X) availability on TG direct flights BKK-AKL 21 Feb +/- 3 days. I see 1 seat BKK-MEL 20 Feb, and 1 seat BKK-BNE 21 Feb.

No specific holidays in NZ or Thailand that might have seen award availability snapped up, although University orientation is around this time.

Note: Not sure how accurate EF is with TG award availability.
don't look at Australia, NZ and Thailand only - consider Chinese holidays, too!
and consider equipment etc as well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.