Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai never learns: alienating frequent flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver

Once upon a time, ROP was one of the best FF programs around. Rules were flexible, all paid THAI tickets gave 100% miles. Miles lasted a long time. There were triple mile deals, birthday month deals, real credit card benefits, low taxes on award tickets, great lounges, wonderful service...and more.
THAI had problems even then (lots of bigwigs getting free tickets for themselves, families, mistresses and sycophants). But THAI was basically a healthy company, with cadres of frequent flyers who were really loyal. Instead of zeroing in on the real problems, THAI chose to gradually eviscerate its ROP, and squeezing their own frequent flyers. Gold status got more and more difficult to achieve, as most tickets no longer gave 100% miles. Award tickets were burdened with "taxes and fees" that had no basis in reality. Lounges were less attractive. The result, frequent flyers (myself included) began joining other programs and accumulating miles there. Naturally, this often meant that they no longer chose THAI as a matter of course. But *A Golds still preferred to buy Thai tickets, at least domestically.
Today, I took a THAI SMILE (100% owned THAI subsidiary) from CNX to BKK, and tried to get into the little THAI lounge, which was virtually deserted. I should add that in the last seven visits to that lounge, the Internet wasn't even working! Despite a big sign in front showing STAR ALLIANCE GOLD, I was not admitted as I had bought a ticket on THAI SMILE. The result will be that I will choose Bangkok Air or some other alternative, next time. THAI AIR never learns! - even in a time characterized by route cuts, planes sold, personnel discharged or not replaced. How will this end? Maybe some professional airline will buy this once proud Thai fixture.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: BRK-B
I would INSIST TG to give access to ROP Gold to get fast track access at BKK. This will obviously attract more flyers to TG.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:38 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by larrythai
Despite a big sign in front showing STAR ALLIANCE GOLD, I was not admitted as I had bought a ticket on THAI SMILE.
Unfortunately correct - Smile is (in theory) a separate airline that is not a part of *A - this was discussed on this form a few times. You need to book TG metal under TG code to get lounge access (BUT... why do you even try to get access to the domestic lounge? Limited food, no Singha etc.).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Unfortunately correct - Smile is (in theory) a separate airline that is not a part of *A - this was discussed on this form a few times. You need to book TG metal under TG code to get lounge access (BUT... why do you even try to get access to the domestic lounge? Limited food, no Singha etc.).
Agreed. You can only get into TG lounges on *A GOLD if only that *A GOLD is ROP GOLD. The mistake here is that TG should never name Thai Smile Thai Smile because it confuses people. It should have been just Smile Air.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: TG Plat
All that you describe is the result of increased competition especially from budget airlines. Costs have had to be cut because the vast majority will book a flight $20 cheaper without any thought as to quality.
One can buy LHR-BKK-HKT return for Ł510 at the moment yet 15 years ago the cheapest was about Ł450, what else has gone up just 10% in 15 years? Rail fares? A flexible ticket with 100% miles is Ł992.
Silk Air is 100% owned by Singapore Air and even if you booked direct with them and your ticket has an SQ flight number you won't be allowed in the SQ lounge with a SA Gold card.
I do though agree with you that this is short sighted and alienates the good customers, SQ have lost my business due to this but they might get some back between now and late October as I just can't stand TG911.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
There used to be a TG operated flight BKK-HDY but it was axed.

No added motivation to grab a WE flight other than price.

With bags, they could be cheaper than TD.

If only all budgets can be like 3K/QF

Hoping that *G Fast track will materialise in BKK.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by andyptrav
All that you describe is the result of increased competition especially from budget airlines. Costs have had to be cut because the vast majority will book a flight $20 cheaper without any thought as to quality.
Alternately, the vast majority don't care if you get some mass-produced coach meal and IFE on a 45 minute internal flight if it saves them $20. They'd rather have the $20 to spend on a decent meal and movie at ground level (or something else not at 35,000 feet).

But yes, budget airlines are putting pressure on elite benefits... which sort of indicates that non-elite passengers were subsidizing some of the elite benefits, no?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & More, Flying blue
Originally Posted by tycosiao
There used to be a TG operated flight BKK-HDY but it was axed.

No added motivation to grab a WE flight other than price.

With bags, they could be cheaper than TD.

If only all budgets can be like 3K/QF

Hoping that *G Fast track will materialise in BKK.
I would have thought if you fly WE to HDY with TG (code share) flight number, you should be able to use TG domestic lounge. No?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
[QUOTE=larrythai;25108881)
..... Gold status got more and more difficult to achieve, as most tickets no longer gave 100% miles. Award tickets were burdened with "taxes and fees" that had no basis in reality. ....
.[/QUOTE)

I don't agree with that: compared to other airlines, it's still quite easy to attain Gold Status with 50K Star-A-Miles per year, and its simply not true that most tickets no longer grant full mileage, as only those in V- and W-classes have been cut down to 25% (while various other airlines in more than just two classes don't grant any more miles at all.
If someone really is up for status and hunting miles, it's easy for him to do it with Royal Orchid Plus for fares in Queen-class and up. And the benefits for Gold Members (more or less free complimentary confirmed upgrade) must not be underestimated.
And note that Royal Orchid Plus members still can earn miles and redeem award tickets on all THAI Smile flights.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Despite a big sign in front showing STAR ALLIANCE GOLD, I was not admitted as I had bought a ticket on THAI SMILE.
Where is the news?
That fact is well-known in this forum.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by timmynl
I would have thought if you fly WE to HDY with TG (code share) flight number, you should be able to use TG domestic lounge. No?
Recently flew with a TG-code shared WE flight. Couldn't even check in at TG counters in BKK but had to go to WE.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & More, Flying blue
Originally Posted by pandalama
Recently flew with a TG-code shared WE flight. Couldn't even check in at TG counters in BKK but had to go to WE.
It is a normal practice that you have to check in with the airline that operates your flight. I recently flew to Madrid with BA flight number but i had to check in with IBERIA because this flight operates with IB metal. Did you get an access to TG lounge?

http://www.thaiairways.co.uk/frequen...-THAISmile.htm

Last edited by timmynl; Jul 18, 2015 at 3:09 pm Reason: add additional info
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Flying UTH Udon Thani to BKK Suvarnabhumi I do not have much choice than flying WE (PG timing not convienient) to connect with flights to Europe.

Since WE left ROP I have not seen any mileage added to my ROP silver status, the only advantage so far being the added 10 kg luggage.

I fly QR, thus will loose my ROP silver status one day, problem to get my 40/50 kgs of luggage to/from UTH....
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: TG Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Alternately, the vast majority don't care if you get some mass-produced coach meal and IFE on a 45 minute internal flight if it saves them $20. They'd rather have the $20 to spend on a decent meal and movie at ground level (or something else not at 35,000 feet).

But yes, budget airlines are putting pressure on elite benefits... which sort of indicates that non-elite passengers were subsidizing some of the elite benefits, no?
First point agreed but I was thinking of $20 on a $700 ticket.
Second: quite possible.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: BRK-B
Well, I would like to confirm this myself, just to remind those who are travelling on ThaiSmile, if you hold ROP GOLD/PLAT you are entitled to access the lounge BUT you do need to SHOW YOUR CARD!!! because in ThaiSmile system do not have ROP registration, hence the ROP data will not show on boarding pass AND registered on barcode/system.

For those who have other *A GOLD you DO NOT entitled to access Royal Silk lounge when travelling on ThaiSmile since it is not in *A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.