FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   TG Website is rubbish ! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1674239-tg-website-rubbish.html)

Guy Betsy Apr 22, 2015 3:36 pm

TG Website is rubbish !

Tried to do online check in for BKK-PEN flight later today (yes its 430am). but was given error message.

Due to a temporary error the request could not be serviced.

The problem could be because:
The server is busy.
The server is temporarily unavailable.
What sort of IT is TG using??

forumpersona999 Apr 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Probably take it offline every night to run manual tape backups ROFL.

Most of the back-end is running on a Windows XP notebook in the janitor's store room.

Have you tried the mobile version of the site ? Sometimes mobile works when full site doesn't and vice versa.

boogey Apr 22, 2015 7:57 pm

TG Website is rubbish !

Same happened to my yesterday. Checked in with the iPhone app. Worked that way.

It's normal TG's IT is like that. They won't change this.

hgp Apr 23, 2015 1:31 am

It is indeed rubbish and has been rubbish for a long, long time. Sometimes I wonder if I can (or should) infer anything about TG's engineering & maintenance and crew training from their IT and catering... scary thought!

While you can sometimes complete some transactions online, the best option is to call your local TG office. Fortunately, the person in my local office is EXCELLENT and so easy to deal with.

Recently I've been flying SQ a lot and I have to say their online interface is solid - flights, meals, seats, changes, and super-detailed FF details.

travelislife Apr 23, 2015 3:21 am

Haha, all too common but nothing will ever be done about it.

wheresmybagba Apr 23, 2015 4:09 am

Originally Posted by hgp (Post 24707416)
Recently I've been flying SQ a lot and I have to say their online interface is solid

It may be now, but if you remember after its last major upgrade it too was a complete and utter fiasco for a long time!

hgp Apr 23, 2015 8:03 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba (Post 24707788)
It may be now, but if you remember after its last major upgrade it too was a complete and utter fiasco for a long time!

It's all relative, I guess. SQ is about to upgrade their website again, but I think it's mostly design rather than function. I'd love it if TG decided to drop $50 to 100k getting their website sorted... that's about all it would take (assuming their back-end systems are half way respectable).

BinSabai Apr 23, 2015 8:31 am

Originally Posted by hgp (Post 24708551)
It's all relative, I guess. SQ is about to upgrade their website again, but I think it's mostly design rather than function. I'd love it if TG decided to drop $50 to 100k getting their website sorted... that's about all it would take (assuming their back-end systems are half way respectable).

that would certainly not be sufficient! factor 5 of that will bring them forward

UAAAPeter Apr 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Yes it is useless

And it would cost virtually nothing to fix. I'd do it for free in exchange for some meals and a half reasonable hotel with a swimming pool in BKK for a month.

I'd walk in to their IT every morning with a smile and a whip. Pretend to be a customer on a computer. Find that I could not do a transaction. Call the guy responsible across to my desk. Tell him to fix it by 5pm or leave for good right now. Then I'd leave for the next 8 hours and come back to check it was fixed. It would be. I'd take him out for a really nice dinner at that hotel. They'd love and respect me. Unlike what for sure they think of their present bosses.

The way to treat IT people is simple. Don't put up with their excuses. Just tell them to do it. No one is telling them to do it. TG is dysfunctional.

And by the way, when they do a good job then give them a nice bonus. Like a free ticket to LAX to go to Disneyland. Costs TG nothing.

Oh and fire all the managers. Today. This afternoon - with a generous one day's pay exit package. Worked for Mussolini.

UAAAPeter Apr 23, 2015 12:37 pm

TG plane servicing

Originally Posted by hgp (Post 24707416)
It is indeed rubbish and has been rubbish for a long, long time. Sometimes I wonder if I can (or should) infer anything about TG's engineering & maintenance and crew training from their IT and catering... scary thought!

While you can sometimes complete some transactions online, the best option is to call your local TG office. Fortunately, the person in my local office is EXCELLENT and so easy to deal with.

Recently I've been flying SQ a lot and I have to say their online interface is solid - flights, meals, seats, changes, and super-detailed FF details.

Yea - don't think about maintenance. Just enjoy a nice drink in first chatting to the hospitable staff. They are in the same boat (sic) as you, remember. :)

OMGImInPattaya Jun 1, 2015 1:22 am

English is the language of the internet and IT...explains allot about why Thai's website has always been F'd up.

Lament Jun 3, 2015 1:22 pm

All true .
On a more anecdotical note , it is not unusual for the TG website to be showcasing the inflight-movie selection with one , if not two months delay from the current month selection .

timster Jun 6, 2015 10:55 pm

Hiding best fares

Maybe TG think they can trick people into paying more by hiding the best web site fares. Or maybe their software is shiite. Or maybe their staff don't know how to use it properly. Or maybe they can't be bothered ....

Of course pax are more likely to find another airline.

Not unusual to see this.

Example:
Via front page of web site, best fare MEL-BKK-MEL for Oct-Nov dates:
AUD$980 incl taxes

Via promotions page, several levels down, same dates, same flights, same class (W):
AUD$819 incl taxes

Ironically both fares are described as "Economy promotion".

timster Jun 8, 2015 2:49 am

Out of interest, I did the same comparison for business ...

Best price booked via front page .... AUD$4022

Price for same dates/flights/class(J) buried down on promotions page ... AUD$3650

BTW TG seems to use the Amadeus web booking engine, with servers in the US and Germany.

Elsewhere, ITA Matrix (Google) only seems to see the more expensive fare, while Expedia has a fare much closer to the cheaper rate.

The lesson .. avoid booking via TG's main public facing web page !

travelislife Jun 9, 2015 9:45 pm

I actually contacted Thai and asked them this exact question with the following response:

TIL, not all passengers wish to book on special offers and therefore THAI publishes a separate button for all the special as well as giving the option to book regular fares with not so much restrictions.

Regards,

Maria Mazzeo

Customer Service

Thai Airways International

Level 3, 250 Collins Street, Melbourne

PO Box 122, Flinders Lane VIC 8009 Australia

THAI Reservations 1300 651 960 (+61 3 8662 2266)

T +61 3 8662 2215

F +61 3 9650-7003

[email protected]

www.thaiairways.com.au

Description: thai 50

Sent: Monday, 17 September 2012 20:50
To: Melbourne
Subject: Question

Hi,

I was wondering why Thai airways sale fares don't come up when doing a normal search on the website? I checked for the same dates and can only get the cheaper sale fares when clicking through the 'special offers' page which brings up the sale. Surely Thai loses a lot of sales to airlines like Jetstar when people search for fares on the site and don't get the cheapest available fare. How come they don't come up on the normal search?

Regards,

TIL