Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Connecting from UA869 in HKG - no checked bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Any tips? UA869 arrives HKG 6:40pm, TG 607 departs 8:45pm. I will do my online check-in from San Francisco before boarding the UA flight. Fortunate enough to be flying FC on the TG flight. Where do I go to? IF the UA flight is on schedule I will try to get to lounge just above Gate 40, get a shower and quick snack.

Just need a plan if the flight gets in behind schedule.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: TG/ROP*P; CX OW/G; LH M&M; UN Privilege; KC Nomad; IT Kingclub; SPG Platinum

There will be transit counters for 607 - you'll be ok.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
if you check in online you can print out your TG boarding pass or load it on your smart phone
up to 90 minutes delay, you are still ok
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The thing is, 869 is often late.

If you're on a single ticket, UA should rebook you on CX if you miss. If you're on separate tickets, it's an overnight.

Good luck!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Should be no problem, especially if you are traveling in F (or J) on UA. The 747 takes long time to disembark Y pax.
If your flight is more than 90min late and you are on two tickets, you are in trouble.
If on one ticket, you will be put on TG603 at 7:45am the next morning, but no F and a mediocre regional J. You might ask to be put on the evening CX flight that departs at 9:20, but it is unclear if TG would do it, especially if it is an award.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:56 am

In any case you need to clear security before you can go upstairs to the gates. Usually HKG is very efficient, this should not take too long.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
In any case you need to clear security before you can go upstairs to the gates. Usually HKG is very efficient, this should not take too long.
it depends! if you are F or J and disembark early, it's fast. If you are one of the last y of a 747 and many passengers in transit, it can take a long time!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
If you are late and are on one ticket. Since others on here talked about to be put on CX, should that happen I would actually ask for EK385 that departs 21:50 instead...a shower onboard the A380 before getting to BKK beats CX in my opinion.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all replies.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brunos
You might ask to be put on the evening CX flight that departs at 9:20, but it is unclear if TG would do it, especially if it is an award.
CX runs a 10:20 flight during the summer.

You don't ask TG, you ask UA. The carrier that delivers you late is responsible for rebooking. UA groundstaff at HKG is used to working with CX.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all replies.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Well, it all went quite well. UA 869 arrived about 15 minutes early.

But, first thing - I tried to get a boarding pass for my Thai Air flight prior to departing San Francisco. All it said was confirmed. It occurs to me that TG would benefit from some technology enhancements.

After deplaning in HKG, I looked for transfer desk. Following the signs for Transfer - E1 and E2 desk will take you down the escalator to get on the train to the terminal. Not what I wanted. There is another sign Transfer - A1, and that is quite close to UA arrival gate. Quickly received my boarding pass, then a short walk to Security. Then another very short walk to Lounge. Had a nice shower, then some tea and soup, and sandwich.

Nice flight as well. Lie flat seat, and a gin and tonic. Slept very well, even though only a 2 hour 15 min flight.

I don't make trip reports, but this is just to respond to some that helped and any others that consider the same itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.