Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
TG website states following. My experiences is same as previous poster. Japan especially will give the by-the-book answer. I have never seen any TG destination that I have travelled from including 4 in Japan checking hand luggage of business class passengers and apart from whan travelling alone hand luggage of myself and my wife on return flight to BKK especially from Bangkok is probably 10 to 15 kg each. I regularly travel with about 12 kg and 8 kg (incl latop) without any problems.

"In addition to the checked baggage allowance, Star Alliance Gold Status customers, travelling in Business or First Class and have a journey involving two or more Star Alliance carriers, are entitled to bring two pieces of carry-on baggage (where aircraft restrictions and local regulations permit). Other passenger is allowed to hand carry one baggage at maximum length 56 cm (22 inches), width 45 cm (18 inches), thickness 25 cm (10 inches). These dimensions include wheels, handles, and side pockets. Total weight of the carry-on baggage must not exceed seven kg (15 lb).Passengers are required to place the baggage in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of them."

Passengers can bring the following items free of charge:
  • Handbag/wallet/purse with the maximum length 37.5 cm (15 inches), width 25 cm (10 inches), depth 12.5 cm (5 inches), or the total of three dimensions do not exceed 75 cm (30 inches) with the total weight not exceeding 1.5kgs(3.3lb). Notebooks, or portable personal computers are also applied with this condition.
  • Walking sticks (crutches) used by elderly passengers, sick passengers, and handicapped passengers
  • Infant food

Note:

Spot check may be performed against the test unit and/or weighing machine at the check-in counter and/or at the boarding gate to ensure compliance to these regulations."
plaintalk likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
You certainly will get the by-the-book answer from the Japan ticket office. In reality, I have never heard of hand luggage being a problem on TG, especially in F or J. You should definitely be okay with anything within reason, i.e. what you have previously carried on other major airlines. Is there anything particularly unusual about the size or weight of what your are carrying, or otherwise?
No, nothing unusual. But if I could count on two bags (as by the book on LH or SQ), I would just take two legal carry-on trolleys, which would be sufficient for the one-week trip. I just don't want to be called out so that I have to check in one of my carry-on bags at the gate.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The official carryon allowance in J or for ROP Gold is as you were told, and is a joke compared to what TG actually allows on.

In practice, I have never had an issue bringing on the more generous carryon allowances other airlines provide their biz/elite pax.
Thank you, too.

That's what I find mildly annoying: If they "usually" allow much more than published, why not publish "two bags in J" and be in line (and competitive) with other airlines, including their *A partners.

The way it is now, I can decide between taking two carry-ons and risking that I have to check in one, or checking a bag.

Apart from not having to wait at the baggage belt, it would also give me more flexibility at the airport: A friend can drop me at NRT at 1 p.m. for the 5 p.m. flight to BKK, but the check-in counters do not open until 2.5 hours before departure (at least that is what TG says). Without checked bags, I could go straight to the lounge and get some work done, with a checked bag I will have to wait landside until the checkin counters open.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by plaintalk
No, nothing unusual. But if I could count on two bags (as by the book on LH or SQ), I would just take two legal carry-on trolleys, which would be sufficient for the one-week trip. I just don't want to be called out so that I have to check in one of my carry-on bags at the gate.
I think that would be extremely unlikely. I have taken mounds of hand baggage on TG when I already had excess baggage fees, to avoid paying even more. No one batted an eyelid at two carry on duffel bags - one of which was technically oversized - filled to the max. Lower passenger density in F and J means that there is plenty of overhead bin storage for that.

Many passengers would not even care or bother to ask what the policy is. Because in practice, anything that reasonably fits is allowed on board.

plaintalk likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I think that would be extremely unlikely. I have taken mounds of hand baggage on TG when I already had excess baggage fees, to avoid paying even more. No one batted an eyelid at two carry on duffel bags - one of which was technically oversized - filled to the max. Lower passenger density in F and J means that there is plenty of overhead bin storage for that.

Many passengers would not even care or bother to ask what the policy is. Because in practice, anything that reasonably fits is allowed on board.
Thank you very much.

Just two more quick questions:

One of the flights is upstairs on the B747. Would they still not care about two pieces of hand-luggage there?

Do they really close the counter at NRT between the two earlier flights and the late flight in the A380?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:01 am

Thank you very much.

One of the flights is upstairs on the B747. Would they still not care about two pieces of hand-luggage there?

Do they really close the counter at NRT between the two earlier flights and the late flight in the A380?
If you have done so before on a 747 upper deck, it should be no problem. There is storage space in the back for items that do not fit in overhead bins, which as you know are a bit smaller than they are on the main deck. The issue will not be their caring or not, but simply if the baggage physically fits. I’m sure they would store something for you elsewhere if necessary.

I do not know re check in counters.
plaintalk likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Thank you very much.

On the first question, it is true that the overhead locker on the 744 Upper Deck are small, however the window seats have large storage 'bins' between the seat and the fuselage wall (at hip height) - big enough for a 14" laptop IIRC. That said, I (and a couple of others) actually prefer the downstairs on the 744 as the overhead lockers a a good size, and you are usually off faster.
plaintalk likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
On the first question, it is true that the overhead locker on the 744 Upper Deck are small, however the window seats have large storage 'bins' between the seat and the fuselage wall (at hip height) - big enough for a 14" laptop IIRC. That said, I (and a couple of others) actually prefer the downstairs on the 744 as the overhead lockers a a good size, and you are usually off faster.
They are smaller yes, but I have no problem fitting my decently sized roll-aboard (good enough for a week's worth of stuff) as well as a laptop bag in there.
I am in the opposite camp to you, Thai-Kiwi - I do not like the lower deck, and much prefer 16A/B upstairs with unlimited leg-room
plaintalk likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:39 am

Whether you site upstairs or downstairs makes no difference at check in. There is normally spare space for luggage downstairs partly as TG staff sit there on some flights.

From my experience the check in counter is closed between the flights you refer to. This is Japan. Suggest you check with Thai Airways in Tokyo/Japan.
plaintalk likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:22 am

Thank you all.

For such a trip, I would usually travel with two legal but max-size cabin trolleys plus a personal item (laptop bag). Not sure if I will take a checked bag instead this time. But TG's policy makes me think I should probably take an airline that officially allows two cabin bags in J next time.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Thank you all.

For such a trip, I would usually travel with two legal but max-size cabin trolleys plus a personal item (laptop bag). Not sure if I will take a checked bag instead this time. But TG's policy makes me think I should probably take an airline that officially allows two cabin bags in J next time.
To be honest, I doubt you will find an airline that officially allow two max size trolley bags plus a laptop bag for one pax. I think that is excessive, and would urge you to do max one trolley and a laptop bag. I for one would be fuming if you took up all the space above and around me with that amount.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
To be honest, I doubt you will find an airline that officially allow two max size trolley bags plus a laptop bag for one pax. I think that is excessive, and would urge you to do max one trolley and a laptop bag. I for one would be fuming if you took up all the space above and around me with that amount.
You doubt too much.

Most of the airlines I regularly fly, officially allow two pieces of hand luggage (with 7/8kg each respectively, and linear dimesions of 115/118cm, i.e. max size) plus a personal item like a laptop bag:

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...cabin-baggage/
https://www.lufthansa.com/il/en/carry-on-baggage
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/carry-on-baggage

TG is the exception rather than the rule, and far behind the competition. I was really surprised by TG's stingy policy, as in J and F, the bin space on the long-haul planes of the other airlines is always more than sufficient for two bags.
andyptrav likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:31 pm

I think that you will find that TG is one of the most flexible and helpful airlines for checked and carry on baggage of any airlines for all classes, whatever it states in the rules. I have only ever seen carry on baggage of economy class passengers being weighed at one location.

If you are so neurotic try ANA who I think officially only allow 1 carry on bag, but in practice in my experience are flexible.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by maerim
I think that you will find that TG is one of the most flexible and helpful airlines for checked and carry on baggage of any airlines for all classes, whatever it states in the rules. I have only ever seen carry on baggage of economy class passengers being weighed at one location.

If you are so neurotic try ANA who I think officially only allow 1 carry on bag, but in practice in my experience are flexible.
I don't think it is necessary to call me "neurotic" for stating that I prefer an official and published allowance of two carry-on bags (as on SQ, LH, LX, NZ, AC etc.) to a published allowance of one bag and a "usually they are kinda flexible" attitude. Except for you, maybe, who wouldn't prefer option 1?
andyptrav likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: Krisflyer, BAEC
Hi hi, Can i ask if anyone has experience ordering special religious/dietary meals in J and F? I have 2 upcoming flights, TG922 to Fra in J and TG930 to CDG in F. Will i get multi course meals according to religious/dietary specs, halal food in my case, or will everything be served on a single tray like economy? My previous experience on TG were flights to DXB, where all food is halal so I would think that's more of an exception. TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.