Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
please report back about the experience
Well it wasn't that eventful. Employees at BKK aren't exactly famous to go above and beyond, and with their business as usual routine the whole process took some time until all those pax were ferried. Boarding of the upper deck was indeed through the internal stairs. For anyone with ARL/BTS experience, this was hardly a challenge though.
All in all I was more surprised than anything else. The last time I heard of an A380 getting a bus gate was with QR at ATL, not exactly the same constellation as TG at BKK.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by makrom
Well it wasn't that eventful. Employees at BKK aren't exactly famous to go above and beyond, and with their business as usual routine the whole process took some time until all those pax were ferried. Boarding of the upper deck was indeed through the internal stairs. For anyone with ARL/BTS experience, this was hardly a challenge though.
All in all I was more surprised than anything else. The last time I heard of an A380 getting a bus gate was with QR at ATL, not exactly the same constellation as TG at BKK.
thanks for Feedback
guess they started very early with ferrying passengers as it must have gone ages and plane did not depart significantly late.
a big pleasure for the F passengers when all J passengers walk through their cabin...
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:22 pm

Not sure if this is the right spot to post

But I have a 10 hour layover at BKK (inward and outward in international business).I want to head into the city for a few hours and stretch the legs

I know BKK doesn't have an arrivals lounge - but is there a way to get access to the lounges and then still clear immigration?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by baggyred
Not sure if this is the right spot to post
But I have a 10 hour layover at BKK (inward and outward in international business).I want to head into the city for a few hours and stretch the legs
I know BKK doesn't have an arrivals lounge - but is there a way to get access to the lounges and then still clear immigration?
this has been asked multiple times
it is possible, you go from arrival area through transit security (showing boarding pass or itinerary) into international departure area, where the lounges are. Later you tell the lounge staff, that you need to go landside through normal arrival Immigration (fast track as J). they will show you the way.
remember
- you have to go through security twice, through ingoing and outgoing Immigration
- you might be asked to pay airport tax (if this is on one ticket, airport tax is not included in the ticket as they assume you stay in transit). I emphasize on "might" as this is not regularly enforced
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
However, either way, seeing one seat map or the other is no guarantee that the actual aircraft on the day of travel will be such. Therefore, I would just hope for 9F if it matters to you, but at the end of the day you’re in for a nice flight either way. Likely a very private flight in the nose of the best aircraft ever built. Flying does not get much better than that.
We had a swap to 9F shortly before! Much appreciated, and the load was only 3/9 so it felt very private. A little unusual for me to be bussed to a 747 though.

Interestingly enough, they sent a 10F plane to SYD the night before that. Still don't get why they don't dedicate 9F to the remaining 747 F routes (SYD, 2xHND)? Looks like they are doing plenty of other routes with the 747 (DPS, BOM, KHI, CTS, HKT)...

Last edited by Taoyuan; Mar 18, 2019 at 1:52 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
We had a swap to 9F shortly before! Much appreciated, and the load was only 3/9 so it felt very private. A little unusual for me to be bussed to a 747 though.

Interestingly enough, they sent a 10F plane to SYD the night before that. Still don't get why they don't dedicate 9F to the remaining 747 F routes (SYD, 2xHND)? Looks like they are doing plenty of other routes with the 747 (DPS, BOM, KHI, CTS, HKT)...
good question! those responsible for the operation consider it probably as equivalent and do not consider it a swap either
day flights I prefer on the 10F Version and with such a low load, privacy is also provides without the suites… (a couple of years ago I had been in F with a 1/10 load)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:33 pm

Seat selection in ticket booked through United Airlines

I'm thinking about travel that might not happen until early 2021. But I'm playing around with reservations. I'm looking at traveling from RDU-BKK through United. There are many options and an economy ticket is only 80K with a saver award. There is a choice of flying to BKK on Thai Airways or Air China. I wonder if anyone has an opinion? And am I correct that on a ticket booked through United, I won't have a seat assignment until check in?

Thank you.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm thinking about travel that might not happen until early 2021. But I'm playing around with reservations. I'm looking at traveling from RDU-BKK through United. There are many options and an economy ticket is only 80K with a saver award. There is a choice of flying to BKK on Thai Airways or Air China. I wonder if anyone has an opinion? And am I correct that on a ticket booked through United, I won't have a seat assignment until check in?

Thank you.
For the itineraries that you are looking at, where do you change planes? I'm assuming that you'd be on UA into NRT, ICN, HKG, PVG, or TPE. If the onward journey to BKK is available on Thai Airways (TG), I would generally chose that. But EVA from TPE is also decent. Once I flew through PVG, with Jungeo (sp?) as the connecting airline into BKK. That PVG transit was a bit of a nightmare. You might also be able to fly SFO-SIN on UA. It's a nonstop in 787-9. I'm not a big fan of Air China. But there are worse airlines in the world.

As for seat assignments: It will depend upon the airline. I'd say that 50% of the time you will be able to get an assignment through the connecting airline's own website. You will need to check on the booking documents from United to find the PNR for the connecting flight. Your profile does not indicate if you have any juice with the possible connecting airlines. If you are Star Alliance Gold, I think you'll get a better seat assignment naturally.

Last edited by tvhead; Mar 20, 2019 at 5:07 pm Reason: added information.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:15 am
formerly JackDann

Hey All,

I've used Thai Airways alot over the years on various Leisure trips to Thailand for family holidays. This year we opted to fly Malaysia as it came in much cheaper J class. I just logged into my Thai airways account and noticed I have 28,523 miles. My question is, what are these miles good to use for? It seems a waste to have them just sat there, but I havent been able to find any good way of using them for the route I would fly (London > BKK)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by JackDann
Hey All,

I've used Thai Airways alot over the years on various Leisure trips to Thailand for family holidays. This year we opted to fly Malaysia as it came in much cheaper J class. I just logged into my Thai airways account and noticed I have 28,523 miles. My question is, what are these miles good to use for? It seems a waste to have them just sat there, but I havent been able to find any good way of using them for the route I would fly (London > BKK)
There are awards available on regional and domestic routes that can be redeemed for that number of miles. Be mindful of mileage expiration. ROP is not a good program generally speaking for the infrequent flier, because unlike UA for example, miles expire. Therefore one cannot slowly bank miles over many years.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:27 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
What is served in F on TG676 BKK-NRT (departing at 735am) for the main meal? Is it breakfast only, or more like a brunch with maybe some lunch-like main course(s) available?

Are the pre-order menus listed on the web site available on TG676? e.g. Could I pre-order the Lobster Thermidor and expect to have it on board for breakfast?

I poked around the web site and couldn't find any menus.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: HH, IHG
Hey guys, I've been eyeing BKK-MEL // CHC-AKL-BKK on Thai Biz and it's had availability forever. Plans solidified and went to check price before transferring MR (booking through ANA). Now, I see no availability, after checking on EF there's no availability for this route for any date I check. Does Thai space come in waves? Did they really just clear out ALL biz space or is this a known issue?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Can Star Alliance Gold members (I'm Gold in Lufthansa) choose only standard seats when booking an International flight on TG Economy?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by andywaw
Can Star Alliance Gold members (I'm Gold in Lufthansa) choose only standard seats when booking an International flight on TG Economy?
Correct (sadly).

Economy seating is determined by fare class ($), and status has no bearing. If I buy W/V class economy then I know I will only have access to the back of the bus when selecting a seat dhring the booking process. Economy K class or better is needed to access the forward economy cabin.

I cant recall if the seat map opens up once OLCI is possible at T-24.
andywaw likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by currid7
Hey guys, I've been eyeing BKK-MEL // CHC-AKL-BKK on Thai Biz and it's had availability forever. Plans solidified and went to check price before transferring MR (booking through ANA). Now, I see no availability, after checking on EF there's no availability for this route for any date I check. Does Thai space come in waves? Did they really just clear out ALL biz space or is this a known issue?
When do you want to fly? TG has just announced a massive program devaluation from 01 October and so this could have affected availability as folks rush in the burn miles at pesent rates...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.