Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:16 am
kkl

If you are running late, Tg normally has a sign at airbridge with golf cart waiting to transfer you to next gate

I remembered few years ago when I was doing per-bkk-lhr, they had to delay take off for the lhr sector as there were at least 30 of us arriving late into bkk
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:50 am

Dear all,

Thank you for all your thoughtful and helpful replies, particularly MikeInTokyo.

LHR>BKK is a A380. BKK>PER is a 787. I wonder if the 787 could be at a bus gate?

I'll have a chat with my wife about your thoughts and see if notifying Thai Airways of an assistance requirement might be good.

Many thanks. Dean
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by deangaffney
LHR>BKK is a A380. BKK>PER is a 787. I wonder if the 787 could be at a bus gate?
could be a bus gate or not; same probability as other planes except A380, which I have never seen at a bus gate...
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: TG Plat
In my experience TG911 tends to arrive on time. The flight time is 11:25 but the last 7 flights have all been under 11 hours. This maybe the reason it has also left around 30 minutes late every day. I know they do this with TG910 so it does not get to London early where it will not be allowed to land before 6am. It seems when the UK puts the clocks back the published flight times increase -- no, me neither.
So don't panic if it leaves a little late, just keep an eye on the fight data while on the plane. In the unlikely event it looks like the plane will be late it is worth telling the crew of your situation and they will ask ground staff to help you. If there are quite a few of you connecting they will also hold the PER flight. With ground assistance 20 minutes should get you to the departure gate. But not your bags so take some essentials as hand luggage.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Is there any way of knowing if flights will arrive at bus gates vs. “normal” jet bridge?

Based upon my last decade+ of flights into BKK: If I'm on a TG or PG frame there's a 90%+ chance of getting a bus gate.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deangaffney
Dear all,

Thank you for all your thoughtful and helpful replies, particularly MikeInTokyo.

I'll have a chat with my wife about your thoughts and see if notifying Thai Airways of an assistance requirement might be good.

Many thanks. Dean
In reality either could be a bus gate but with a tight connection and bus gate arrival TG will likely have a van waiting for you... at least that was my experience several times (though not for a couple of years). IME the one place TG has always shined is dealing with pax with tight connections.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Based upon my last decade+ of flights into BKK: If I'm on a TG or PG frame there's a 90%+ chance of getting a bus gate.
for me and just limited to TG, It's about opposite for the last 3 years: only 10% bus gate; before that period, the ratio of bus gates was significantly higher and exceeded sometimes 50%
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
for me and just limited to TG, It's about opposite for the last 3 years: only 10% bus gate; before that period, the ratio of bus gates was significantly higher and exceeded sometimes 50%
It's very dependent upon where you fly to/from. The preponderance of my travel on those carriers has been regional and domestic and these a/c are typically interchangeable in that capacity. If most of your travel is long haul this will be less of a problem.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It's very dependent upon where you fly to/from. The preponderance of my travel on those carriers has been regional and domestic and these a/c are typically interchangeable in that capacity. If most of your travel is long haul this will be less of a problem.
I fly a mix of long haul, regional and domestic. Nowadays over 50% long haul. But even on the local and regional I can not remember one bus gate this year!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Which Connection to TPE?

It’s been a while since I’ve flown TG, but looking at doing BLR-TPE in January. Options I’m getting via BKK are either for a 1:10 connection (to a 777) or a 2:00 connection (to a 787). Note there will be 2 adults, a toddler and an infant. We’re pretty good travelers, though obviously, the kids being with us, particularly on a red eye into BKK, are likely going to slow us down a bit vs. if it was just us adults.

Ideally I’d like to do the shorter connection and earlier arrival, though there are a couple of concerns. One is the chance of getting a bus gate on arrival (for the record, I’m pretty certain just about every inbound from India I’ve flown with TG (from BOM, BLR and MAA) has arrived at a bus gate). Also, the size of the airport if we come in on one end, and depart from the other - and how long that walk would take. Any thoughts on whether its better to just book the later TPE departure with 2:00 connection to be safe?

Also, is there any particular reason other than the standard to want to be on the TG 777 vs. 787? I’m guessing the trade off is the wider 777 seat (they’re still 9 across on TG, right), vs. the better cabin pressure/air on the 787? I also remember flying some TG 777s ex-India that were in pretty bad shape - with interiors that were pretty, er…not clean, with no personal screens, and the overhead screens that were there barely visible.

Any insight is appreciated.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:41 pm

TG634 which leaves BKK at 0725 to TPE is usually on the old 777 while TG632 at 0815 is on the brand new 787-9
so I would rather go for the later flight in order to have more time at the airport even the seat width is one Inch smaller on the 787-9
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I agree with BinSabai. The newer aircraft, and a reasonable 2 hrs connection leaves enough time for all the things an infant and toddler may need at a sensible pace.

It could take 20mins to move to the departure gate if arrival and departure gates are far apart - although, ironically, a bus gate arrival might actually speed things up in that case for you! The walk distance is around 1200-1400m in the very worst case of maximum gate distance.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
...although, ironically, a bus gate arrival might actually speed things up in that case for you!
In edge cases maybe (C8 to E8 for instance) but the international bus gate drop off point at D4 places pax as far from transit security as the furthest jetbridge.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:49 pm

Hello. Is there a comprehensive list of TG routes with F? Thank you.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by lamphs
Hello. Is there a comprehensive list of TG routes with F? Thank you.
Not one published by THAI as far as I know - but the list is short in any case, and can vary in type 380/744 for the European destinations and Tokyo. There has been seasonal F as well to places such as KIX, ICN but nothing at present AKAIK.

Long haul: LHR, CDG, FRA, SYD
Med haul: NRT

Sometimes the 744 is used without the F cabin being sold (eg DPS, BOM, DEL) and it is possible to be seated in the F section with J service - usually limited to status holders and 'VIPs' depending on the load.
lamphs and BinSabai like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.