Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I have done several flights on separate tickets with Thai Airways and Lufthansa Group (Swiss is part of it) and was always able to check my luggage through without any Problem
the codeshare flight ZRH BKK and BKK ZHR is indeed on TG with TG971 and 970 the TG numbers. Both LX and TG have daily flights BKK ZRH on their own metal but completely different Timing
Check through luggage LHR HKT means you do not go in BKK through main Immigration, but through Transit Immigration (conjunction A/B/C/D; follow the signs for Transfer passengers) and security directly into the domestic terminal
on the way back you check in in Phuket in international terminal, go there through Immigration and in BKK you can go from domestic through security directly into the international terminal (follow the sign for C.I.Q. passengers)
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:17 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I have a new question relating to Thai.
I cannot get a definitive answer as to whether the meat in the normal meals is halal by default on flights to/from Europe (In business class if that matters).
One person who flew this route has told me that all the food was halal onboard, but I am not sure how he worked that out.
I have emailed their customer services a couple of times and no reply.
I have phoned them today and was told that it might be halal but they aren't sure.
Reading comments across the internet there is some plausibility that at least some of the meals on some of the flights might be halal. I understand that flying to/from a Muslim country might be a factor, but I am unable to comprehensibly find an answer from anyone, including the airline themselves as to whether all the meat (obviously not the pork) in the meals on Thai flights from Europe to Bangkok is halal.
Does anyone here know, or can direct me to somewhere/someone who can reliably advise?
I am aware that one can order a special meal, but I'm not interested in that - just need to know about the meat in their normal business class meals.
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Aston100
Thanks for the replies.
I have a new question relating to Thai.
I cannot get a definitive answer as to whether the meat in the normal meals is halal by default on flights to/from Europe (In business class if that matters).
One person who flew this route has told me that all the food was halal onboard, but I am not sure how he worked that out.
I have emailed their customer services a couple of times and no reply.
I have phoned them today and was told that it might be halal but they aren't sure.
Reading comments across the internet there is some plausibility that at least some of the meals on some of the flights might be halal. I understand that flying to/from a Muslim country might be a factor, but I am unable to comprehensibly find an answer from anyone, including the airline themselves as to whether all the meat (obviously not the pork) in the meals on Thai flights from Europe to Bangkok is halal.
Does anyone here know, or can direct me to somewhere/someone who can reliably advise?
I am aware that one can order a special meal, but I'm not interested in that - just need to know about the meat in their normal business class meals.
Thanks in advance.
I don't know, but I would be surprised if normal meals would be 'certified' as halal - even if the meat used for the cooking meets halal protocols.

Looking at the special meal on THAI's website for 'Muslim Meal', the text suggests that only for flights to Pakistan are the meals automatically prepared as halal, otherwise order a special meal if halal meal is wanted. From this, I infer that regular meals are not prepared as halal (even if some ingredients might be).

Muslim meal (MOML)
Contains no pork, bacon, ham or alcohol. Cooked according to Halal rules.
*THAI serves meals prepared according to Halal rules as the regular meals on flights to Pakistan. Thus for Pakistan routes it is not necessary to request MOML.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 6, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:00 pm

i am with Thai-Kiwi on that
even on flights to Malaysia or Indonesia, two Muslim countries, meals are not automatically Halal

You should order the special Muslim meal for this purpose
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Off topic, but I often skim through this thread, and I just wanted to acknowledge and say thanks to BinSabai for posting lots of useful info and tips over a long period of time. ^ It's very much appreciated.
SKT-DK and Taoyuan like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Guvner067
Off topic, but I often skim through this thread, and I just wanted to acknowledge and say thanks to BinSabai for posting lots of useful info and tips over a long period of time. ^ It's very much appreciated.
you are welcome!
but there are other fellow board members, who deserve also to be mentioned!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:01 am

Question 65 minutes from touch down at Bangkok (TG911) to take of the Perth flight (TG481)

Dear forum folk,

I'm flying with my children from London thru to Perth WA on a single ticket with Thai Airways on the 13th December. We have 65 minutes from touch down at Bangkok (TG911) to take of the Perth flight (TG481). Thai Airways London office have told me that is enough time to go through transit. We are planning the trip down to the last detail as my son is autistic so we really need to know what's going to happen at every stage.

I would appreciate any BKK experts letting me know what the transfer might be like.

Many thanks in advance.

Dean
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by deangaffney
Dear forum folk,

I'm flying with my children from London thru to Perth WA on a single ticket with Thai Airways on the 13th December. We have 65 minutes from touch down at Bangkok (TG911) to take of the Perth flight (TG481). Thai Airways London office have told me that is enough time to go through transit. We are planning the trip down to the last detail as my son is autistic so we really need to know what's going to happen at every stage.

I would appreciate any BKK experts letting me know what the transfer might be like.

Many thanks in advance.

Dean
If everything is on schedule, it should be okay as you will not go through immigration in Thailand. But, of course that connection could be a problem if your first leg were significantly delayed. How would it impact you if you had to hurry at the airport, or if you had an unexpected longer stay at BKK waiting for a different flight?

Is the impact of your son’s autism significant enough to request assistance from the airline for the connection? Otherwise, there are also paid CIP services that could provide buggy transportation from gate to gate that anyone can use. It would all depend on the location of the gates for your connection.

If it is warranted and you are comfortable doing so, I would suggest having TG note the PNR for special assistance.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 65 minute connection is legal, and if the first flight is on time all should work OK. You could take the other flight LHR-PER TG917 which has 8 hours transit in BKK. You will know if a long transit is a good or bad thing.

Or you could build in a 25 hour ‘stop’ and spend a night in the city to break up the journey.

MikeInTokyo’s last point is worth noting. THAI are usually very good with providing additional ground support. If you dont already know, the ‘PNR’ is the booking reference.

The actual process is pretty straightforward. move to one on the 2 transfer points, which are the conjunction of Concourses B/C/D and D/E/F/G. there is a security check prior to taking an escalator up to the departure level. There can be queues at time, but usually not too bad. Look at any map of BKK airport and this will make sense.

If you opt for the 8 hour connection, and are not in business class or hold status, then you have the option of going to a paid lounge to kill the time.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:22 am

Is there any way of knowing if flights will arrive at bus gates vs. “normal” jet bridge? I’ve never given it any thought.

If this connection were between two bus gates, or between one bus gate and another “traditional” gate, perhaps TG special assistance would send a small van to simplify the transfer without having to queue up and stand on a bus. I have had these vans when flying F, but also have seen them used for elderly, VIP, or other special needs passengers regardless of class of service.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not in my experience. I would assume A380 flight would be at a gate and not by bus given the passengers numbers involved, but I have experienced bus rides on almost every type operated by TG.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Not in my experience. I would assume A380 flight would be at a gate and not by bus given the passengers numbers involved, but I have experienced bus rides on almost every type operated by TG.
Right. And that’s all the more reason to consider requesting special assistance. A tight connection possibly involving bus gates could be stressful in this situation. If there were a way for TG to simplify and speed up the transfer, that would help.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:26 pm

A380 on a but gate? really?
that is the only type I had never an arrival or departure on a bus gate!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
A380 on a but gate? really?
that is the only type I had never an arrival or departure on a bus gate!

I think you have mis-read my post! See again :-)

I would assume A380 flight would be at a gate and not by bus
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:22 pm

I think you have mis-read my post! See again :-)
Yes, if these are a380 that definitely should not be at a bus gate. I have had bus gates many times with 744. So, that is not something to worry about I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.