Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by maerim
Perhaps the airline wants to see that you have permission to stay in Thailand. TG and ANA in Japan always ask for evidence that I can stay in Thailand, as did MEL and MAN in the last year.
Exactly - same for me in Japan, and for some reason Sweden, as the only two I have encountered. They always want to verify that I am allowed to stay in Thailand when returning, which is always a fun task to convince them of with a passport with god knows how many stamps for entries, exits, visa transfers, renewals, re-entry permits and what not.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Perhaps the airline wants to see that you have permission to stay in Thailand. TG and ANA in Japan always ask for evidence that I can stay in Thailand, as did MEL and MAN in the last year.
I think that is unlikely. Although the immigration requirement is real, I am not convinced this is the sole determinant of whether or not TG will issue an e-BP.

And some (many?) airlines will issue BPs where TG doesn’t. Indeed, Ryan Air (I think) will charge you a hefty fee if you don’t OLCI and have an e-BP.

My guess is that it is more likely to be that some of TG’s outstations are simply not cleared/certified/capable to a level to allow the issue of BPs online - either by Thai or the country the outstation is located.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question

FRA-BKK-DPS

I am thinking of purchasing a First Class ticket on TG from MXP to DPS. First sector is LH to FRA then FRA to BKK in P class and BKK to DPS in J class. As I am arriving into BKK in First Class am I automatically allocated a seat in the blocked off F cabin on the 744 from BKK to DPS or do I still have to pay extra to secure a seat in that cabin.

No status in Star Alliance.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by col747uk
FRA-BKK-DPS

I am thinking of purchasing a First Class ticket on TG from MXP to DPS. First sector is LH to FRA then FRA to BKK in P class and BKK to DPS in J class. As I am arriving into BKK in First Class am I automatically allocated a seat in the blocked off F cabin on the 744 from BKK to DPS or do I still have to pay extra to secure a seat in that cabin.

No status in Star Alliance.
Edited per revised information from Thai-Kiwi below... buying a seat in the F cabin is now possible

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jan 20, 2020 at 4:26 am
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
And head for the SQ lounge in MEL after yuo check-in. The nicest lounge in terms of food and beverage IMO. They'll try and direct you to the Air NZ lounge, but SQ's will now welcome you in (they weren't so happy in the past, but fine now)
Indeed. I did check out NZ but the only hot food was a (nice) soup. SQ was much more extensive food. Empty when I entered at around 2200 but pretty full by the time I left shortly before midnight. NZ is the larger lounge. Pre-eating in the lounge meant I could focus on sleep once on board.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I think that is unlikely. Although the immigration requirement is real, I am not convinced this is the sole determinant of whether or not TG will issue an e-BP.

And some (many?) airlines will issue BPs where TG doesn’t. Indeed, Ryan Air (I think) will charge you a hefty fee if you don’t OLCI and have an e-BP.

My guess is that it is more likely to be that some of TG’s outstations are simply not cleared/certified/capable to a level to allow the issue of BPs online - either by Thai or the country the outstation is located.
I did ask why no online BP for the first leg at the physical check in but they didn't know.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Unless this has recently changed... you *may* be lucky as a connecting F class passenger to score a seat in the F cabin, but otherwise they are allocated to TG elites and other VIPs. Best time to ask for the seat in the F cabin would be at check-in. No way to secure a seat in the F cabin for $$.

Happy to be wrong on that if it has changed
The F seats can now be purchased as Preferred Seats by any J pax. There is a separate thread discussing this..

The TG website with details here :https://www.thaiairways.com/en_AU/of...ed_seats.page?

Not sure whether a connecting F pax would be allocated an F seat for free now this ancillary income system is up and running.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The F seats can now be purchased as Preferred Seats by any J pax. There is a separate thread discussing this..

The TG website with details here :https://www.thaiairways.com/en_AU/of...ed_seats.page?

Not sure whether a connecting F pax would be allocated an F seat for free now this ancillary income system is up and running.
Thanks! I had no idea! Nice offering. If they can't pre-allocate to an F ticket holder I'd be forking out the $$. It's a sweet deal.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: Qantas
Hi all

My wife and I are travelling on Y with TG from HKT - BKK - HND. As my wife is Star Alliance Gold (I am not), I just wanted to check if I will also be entitled to priority check-in, boarding, security, etc? From what I can see, I will be allowed, as my wife's guest, entry to TG's lounge (assume that is the only lounge I will have access to - and not other Star Alliance lounges?).

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:15 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hannadanna
Hi all

My wife and I are travelling on Y with TG from HKT - BKK - HND. As my wife is Star Alliance Gold (I am not), I just wanted to check if I will also be entitled to priority check-in, boarding, security, etc? From what I can see, I will be allowed, as my wife's guest, entry to TG's lounge (assume that is the only lounge I will have access to - and not other Star Alliance lounges?).

Thanks!
Yes, her *G privileges apply to you as well as long as you go together. However, note that there is no official fast track for security and immigration offered for *G in Y.
You can access the other Star Alliance lounges as well - not just TG - as long as they offer access under *G.
hannadanna likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Hi all

Thanks!
You will have access to priority check-in, security, and boarding to the same extend as your wife, as her guest. You can access all Star Alliance gold lounges in Bangkok (and Haneda if you return from there), not just the Thai ones.
hannadanna likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Yes, her *G privileges apply to you as well as long as you go together. However, note that there is no official fast track for security and immigration offered for *G in Y.
You can access the other Star Alliance lounges as well - not just TG - as long as they offer access under *G.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You will have access to priority check-in, security, and boarding to the same extend as your wife, as her guest. You can access all Star Alliance gold lounges in Bangkok (and Haneda if you return from there), not just the Thai ones.
Thanks both. That is great to hear. We're flying KIX to MI at the end of trip, so unfortunately will have to rely on priority lounge in KIX!

I have also seen that people generally rate the SQ (and/or BR) lounge at BKK the best of the star alliance. Is this still true with the newly refurbished TG lounge?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Thanks both. That is great to hear. We're flying KIX to MI at the end of trip, so unfortunately will have to rely on priority lounge in KIX!

I have also seen that people generally rate the SQ (and/or BR) lounge at BKK the best of the star alliance. Is this still true with the newly refurbished TG lounge?
The TG lounge that you refer to is new, not refurbished. It is much more spacious and relaxing than SQ lounge; different Experts will have their own opinion including on the food options, but I much prefer the new TG lounge (both parts) - it is a big step up from the previous lounge in all regards and a credit to TG.
hannadanna likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
The TG lounge that you refer to is new, not refurbished. It is much more spacious and relaxing than SQ lounge; different Experts will have their own opinion including on the food options, but I much prefer the new TG lounge (both parts) - it is a big step up from the previous lounge in all regards and a credit to TG.
I would completely agree with maerim. However BKK is a large airport and there would be nothing wrong with choosing the lounge (new TG / SQ / BR) closest to your departure gate.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:32 pm
kkl

Has the aircon problem been fixed in the new lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.