Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:18 am
kkl

Just received email of aircraft change from a 33R to a 33H

massive downgrade

must be new feature of Thai for aircraft change email?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kkl
Just received email of aircraft change from a 33R to a 33H

massive downgrade

must be new feature of Thai for aircraft change email?
Hard to know what is better/worse; to surprised at the gate, or to be told in advance ?!
kkl likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: None
Soon I'll be flying ORD-DOH-BKK on Qatar Airways (J class), which reaches BKK at 3:55 am on Jan 3, 2020. My next flight, from BKK to DAC on the same day, is on Thai Airways (also J class) at 10:55 am, meaning that I have a 7-hour layover at BKK. Surely, I can use TG's business class lounges, but do they have facilities to nap for a few hours? I don't care much about wine & food, but a flat bed or chaise in a quiet lounge will do. Any ideas on what other Star Alliance lounges should I visit?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by rahman99000
Soon I'll be flying ORD-DOH-BKK on Qatar Airways (J class), which reaches BKK at 3:55 am on Jan 3, 2020. My next flight, from BKK to DAC on the same day, is on Thai Airways (also J class) at 10:55 am, meaning that I have a 7-hour layover at BKK. Surely, I can use TG's business class lounges, but do they have facilities to nap for a few hours? I don't care much about wine & food, but a flat bed or chaise in a quiet lounge will do. Any ideas on what other Star Alliance lounges should I visit?
With a TG J boarding pass you can visit any of the star alliance J lounges - TG, EVA, Turkish, Singapore.

I haven't been to the new TG lounge yet, but none of the others have snooze zones, or a separate area for sleeping.

Someone will be able to help out and advise if the new lounge has a sleeping area.

However, if it doesn't, you can always 'enter' Thailand and there are lots of options either in the airport, or around. For all budgets. At the top end is the Novotel, directly attached to the airport. For extreme budget there are sleeping boxes in a short-term 'hotel' in the basement of the arrivals area (really cheap blocks of four hours).

Around the airport are about a dozen hotels for USD30-50, which will include pick-up and drop off.

7 hours is probably just that bit too long to go lounge hopping. i spent 8 hours in the TG F lounge once ('how bad could it be?' I asked myself) - was climbing the walls by the end
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
You're coming into BKK on the QR plane I'm leaving on. I'll be trying to nap in a lounge overnight before the 5am flight. Also heading back to Europe in J. Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: None
Thanks to LHR/MEL/Europe FF and ChrisBub for responding. From the TG website, at least, two TG business lounges are equipped with private rooms. So, I assume I can lie down there for a few hours.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to LHR/MEL/Europe FF and ChrisBub for responding. From the TG website, at least, two TG business lounges are equipped with private rooms. So, I assume I can lie down there for a few hours.
Please don’t assume anything with THAI. Usually those room have either been closed off, or have been reserved somehow. But that said, I havent looked closely for quite a few years.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:41 am

Lots of recliner type seats throughout the airport as well.

Miracle lounges (Priority Pass) and Miracle Transit Hotel are other options.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
TG plated ticket on Bangkok Air - lounge access?

I've searched for this question and have not found anything definitive. But if it has been answered before, please forgive me.

Looking at some intra-Asia travel from BKK as base. I'm *Gold. I am assuming that if I buy a ticket from Thai Airways that is serviced by Bangkok Air, I will not have lounge access based upon my *Alliance status.

Can anyone confirm this?

I am often willing to pay a bit more for a true *A carrier because for benefits of better checkin, baggage, lounge, and so forth. But some destinations don't have that option.
How is Bangkok Air?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by tvhead
I've searched for this question and have not found anything definitive. But if it has been answered before, please forgive me.

Looking at some intra-Asia travel from BKK as base. I'm *Gold. I am assuming that if I buy a ticket from Thai Airways that is serviced by Bangkok Air, I will not have lounge access based upon my *Alliance status.

Can anyone confirm this?

I am often willing to pay a bit more for a true *A carrier because for benefits of better checkin, baggage, lounge, and so forth. But some destinations don't have that option.
How is Bangkok Air?
1. No you will not have TG lounge access. Must be flying *A operated flight.
2. Bangkok Air is a great regional airline.
3. You will have Bangkok Air lounge access. (Boutique Lounge)
4. If this is a domestic flight, it is not a big deal as you would not be spending much time in the lounge.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:19 pm

Does anyone know if TG677 from NRT-BKK offers the mattress pads in Biz? Or is it just blanket and pillow?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Does anyone know if TG677 from NRT-BKK offers the mattress pads in Biz? Or is it just blanket and pillow?

Thanks!
I don't know specifically for TG677, but TG biz flights I have taken recently that are ‘overnight’ have had a roll-out full length (1.7m) topper that has a small hood that is placed over the headrest to prevent the topper moving under you. No where as good as Air NZ’s memory foam mattress, but better than nothing.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:40 pm

thank you! Yes, I’ve had that on the Melbourne flight both ways, the all nighter from bkk and the afternoon from Mel.

i was just curious if the nrt-bkk evening flight had it, otherwise I was gonna bring a small blanket to lay on.

Seems inconsistent on when the offer it, but I agree with you, it’s better than nothing...

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I don't know specifically for TG677, but TG biz flights I have taken recently that are ‘overnight’ have had a roll-out full length (1.7m) topper that has a small hood that is placed over the headrest to prevent the topper moving under you. No where as good as Air NZ’s memory foam mattress, but better than nothing.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I looked and didn't see anything.

As star gold travelling LH economy on Thai I don't have access to front row seats (6 days from travel) without paying. Will these seats be available for free at check in or do they remain pay only?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobDBA
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I looked and didn't see anything.

As star gold travelling LH economy on Thai I don't have access to front row seats (6 days from travel) without paying. Will these seats be available for free at check in or do they remain pay only?
They remain “Pay Only” from an online check in selection perspective.

They are marked with a Reserved Sticker onboard, and I have seen blocks of 3 seats remain empty for a long haul flight AKl-BKK (12 hours).

Of course, you can always ask at physical check in for these seats, and you might get lucky. Or ask the crew once onboard.

Finally, if the flight is very full in Y, then these seats will end up being available without payment - although I have no idea how TG would manage that.

Picture attached (B789 AKL-BKK)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.