Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
How do I get to book A380 upper deck economy seats? Are they reserved for ROC status members or higher fare class tickets? Or do they get reserved 12 months out?

Booked 10 months ahead last year and they were not reservable and didn't open up. Just booked again (11 months ahead) and all not reservable again.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
How do I get to book A380 upper deck economy seats? Are they reserved for ROC status members or higher fare class tickets? Or do they get reserved 12 months out?

Booked 10 months ahead last year and they were not reservable and didn't open up. Just booked again (11 months ahead) and all not reservable again.
Depends on fare class. If booking V, W, L fares then can only access the less desirable part of the economy cabin - usually the rear or lower deck. Also only 20 kg baggage.

higher booking classes Y, B, M, H, Q, T, K are semi or fully flexible fares with 30kg baggage, and can access all seats except bulkhead and emergency exit. These emergency/bulkhead seats can be purchased as preferred seats.

All seats are available free at OLCI, except preferred seats.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Depends on fare class. If booking V, W, L fares then can only access the less desirable part of the economy cabin - usually the rear or lower deck. Also only 20 kg baggage.

higher booking classes Y, B, M, H, Q, T, K are semi or fully flexible fares with 30kg baggage, and can access all seats except bulkhead and emergency exit. These emergency/bulkhead seats can be purchased as preferred seats.

All seats are available free at OLCI, except preferred seats.
Great info! Thanks!

Both of my flights are/were in the cheap fare buckets. I can cope with the less desirable seats having got what I consider to be great prices. But next time I need to find a way to get the 4 of us in J
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:28 am
Suspended

I know my question might have been answered before, and I know from star alliance rules it is not allowed. But, I would still like to ask this question in case Thai has its own rules.

If I fly a long haul Thai First class into Bangkok, and transit to another star alliance carrier in business class, is there any chance to sample the First class lounge while in Bangkok?

Yes I know the star alliance rules won't allow it. I am normally a oneworld traveller and used to oneworld rules. Anyone have first hand experience? Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:48 pm
Suspended

773 vs 380 Biz seats

I can either fly via FRA on the 380 or MUC on the 773 to BKK

looking @ Seat Guru it seems the 380 is 83 x 26.5 while the 773 is 87 x 20. Being 6' 2" it would seem the 773 is a better choice, but that extra 6" in the width on the 380 looks equally appealing

Ive never flown TG and will be looking to sleep on the flight, is 1 seat a better seat (padding, arrangement etc) then the other? FRA has a 2hr layover while MUC is a 6 hr layover so more inclined towards FRA unless the 773 seat is so much better then the 380s

tia
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@craz. I would go with the most convenient schedule - the differences in seats are minor from my perspective, but I’m 1.70m or 5’7” and seat width is never an issue for me.

However, each to their own - some like to fly the 380, others prefer to avoid it.

From an operations perspective FRA is twice daily, and MUC is once daily. THAI is infamous for equipment changes, so MUC could lose the 77W for a 788 (inferior J product). Certainly, you want to avoid the 744 as the seats are early generation angle flat.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:56 pm
Suspended

@craz. I would go with the most convenient schedule - the differences in seats are minor from my perspective, but I’m 1.70m or 5’7” and seat width is never an issue for me.

However, each to their own - some like to fly the 380, others prefer to avoid it.

From an operations perspective FRA is twice daily, and MUC is once daily. THAI is infamous for equipment changes, so MUC could lose the 77W for a 788 (inferior J product). Certainly, you want to avoid the 744 as the seats are early generation angle flat.

Wow wasnt expecting an answer so fast THX!

Its settled FRA it will be, the "THAI is infamous for equipment changes" made my decision for me, even if the 773 was superior for sleeping it wouldnt be worth the chance of it ending up being something else and then I wasted 6 hrs with the layover for a worse seat

Was just in MUC last may for 3 nights and knocked off everything I wanted to see no need to run around the city, so soon
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Wow wasnt expecting an answer so fast THX!

Its settled FRA it will be, the "THAI is infamous for equipment changes" made my decision for me, even if the 773 was superior for sleeping it wouldnt be worth the chance of it ending up being something else and then I wasted 6 hrs with the layover for a worse seat

Was just in MUC last may for 3 nights and knocked off everything I wanted to see no need to run around the city, so soon
That is what I would do. Just my opinion of course.
Others may provide different perspectives
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: None
Please advise

I am contemplating a side trip to Phuket (HKT) after my travel to Dhaka (DAC) from Bangkok (BKK). When shopping for Economy class tickets on TG, I have the following options and prices:

Option 1: One single ticket (TG website): BKK-DAC-BKK-HKT-BKK (Lv. BKK on Jan 3, Lv. DAC on Jan 9, Lv. BKK on Jan 9, Lv. HKT on Jan 12); Total price = $1100.

Option 2: Two separate tickets (Google flights): (a) BKK-DAC-BKK (Lv. BKK on Jan 3, Lv. DAC on Jan 9); price = $355; (b) BKK-HKT-BKK (Lv. BKK on Jan 9, Lv. HKT on Jan 12); price=$80. Total price = $435.

Both options entail the same TG flights on wide-body aircraft (B777, B747). My bag is carry-on (fits narrow-body aircraft). I do not plan to check my bag unless it can be checked to HKT on Jan 9 (Option 2).

Two questions:

(1) I wonder if there is any risk to choosing Option 2, as it is less than half the price of Option 1. What are my options if the first part of Option 2 is delayed? Will I be able to take a later flight without penalty?

(2) The layover for the HKT flight on Jan 9 (both options) is 2 hr 15 min. Is this adequate? There are BKK-HKT TG flights with shorter layovers, but I opted for one with at least two hours of layover.

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by rahman99000
I am contemplating a side trip to Phuket (HKT) after my travel to Dhaka (DAC) from Bangkok (BKK). When shopping for Economy class tickets on TG, I have the following options and prices:

Option 1: One single ticket (TG website): BKK-DAC-BKK-HKT-BKK (Lv. BKK on Jan 3, Lv. DAC on Jan 9, Lv. BKK on Jan 9, Lv. HKT on Jan 12); Total price = $1100.

Option 2: Two separate tickets (Google flights): (a) BKK-DAC-BKK (Lv. BKK on Jan 3, Lv. DAC on Jan 9); price = $355; (b) BKK-HKT-BKK (Lv. BKK on Jan 9, Lv. HKT on Jan 12); price=$80. Total price = $435.

Both options entail the same TG flights on wide-body aircraft (B777, B747). My bag is carry-on (fits narrow-body aircraft). I do not plan to check my bag unless it can be checked to HKT on Jan 9 (Option 2).

Two questions:

(1) I wonder if there is any risk to choosing Option 2, as it is less than half the price of Option 1. What are my options if the first part of Option 2 is delayed? Will I be able to take a later flight without penalty?

(2) The layover for the HKT flight on Jan 9 (both options) is 2 hr 15 min. Is this adequate? There are BKK-HKT TG flights with shorter layovers, but I opted for one with at least two hours of layover.

Thank you in advance.
Last year I booked HKT-BKK flights on TG on the expedia.co.th website as they were less than half the price offered on the Thai website. Everything was fine! On the same trip we had a 100 minute transit in BKK to transfer from a TG international flight (needed to go through immigration but not collect checked luggage and re-check) to a BKK-HKT flight. This was all booked on 1 ticket. We felt rushed as we had to walk very far within the airport and there was a delay between landing in BKK and doors opening so passengers could get off. We made our BKK-HKT flight with about 10 minutes before boarding.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by rahman99000

Two questions:

Thank you in advance.
Why not purchase a domestic ticket which allows BKK-HKT to be changed free of cost or with small fee and then if flight from DAC is delyed too much you have the possibility to change? You can also purchase 2 separate tickets on TG website.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: None
Thanks to both ankomonkey and maerim for informative responses. I will go for Option 2, buying both tickets at TG website. I hope, when I go to the TG counter at DAC, I receive boarding passes for the DAC-BKK and BKK-HKT flights. In which case, I won't have to queue for check-in for the latter flight.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:12 pm

Questions about TG HKG Transfer Desk & Mobile BP

Ticket #1 - USA to Hong Kong (CX), landing in am
5+ hour connection
Ticket #2 - HKG to BKK (TG)

I will not have access to a printer until HKG. It will be over 24 hours when I depart the USA, so I can't check-in prior to leaving the US.

Question 1 - What hours is the TG W1 (Q) Transfer Desk open? (I will arrive after the am TG flight departs.)
Question 2 - Can I do a mobile BP and use that to get through HKG security on TG?

I have lots of time, so I am not worried about the connection. But do not want to go through customs, wait in the transfer area, etc.

Ideally, I would grab the mobile bp using the app while taxing in HKG and transit that way.
(I know the TG lounge is open all day.)
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure you couldn’t OLCI before departing the US? Is the flight 18-19 hours? Max duration on CX from anywhere in the US was around 16 hours....

Anyway, I cannot recall if HKG is a port which TG allows OLCI to actually generate a BP like in BKK, but at least you can go through a process to confirm your checkin, allocate/change seat, and get a PDF that says all this and actually looks a bit like a BP.

I assume you’ll have mobile data to do this.

You can use the PDF document generated for the security transit to stay airside (if even asked). I assume no checked bags.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 9, 2019 at 3:03 am
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Are you sure you couldn’t OLCI before departing the US? Is the flight 18-19 hours? Max duration on CX from anywhere in the US was around 16 hours....

Anyway, I cannot recall if HKG is a port which TG allows OLCI to actually generate a BP like in BKK, but at least you can go through a process to confirm your checkin, allocate/change seat, and get a PDF that says all this and actually looks a bit like a BP.

I assume you’ll have mobile data to do this.

You can use the PDF document generated for the security transit to stay airside (if even asked). I assume no checked bags.
16 hours JFK to HKG, plus an over 5 hour transit is 21 hours so getting pretty border line. If it is the JFK YVR HKG flight it will get long enough to surpass 24 hours, as passengers are not allowed to leave the plane while on the ground in YVR.

And if OP has no lounge access and a connecting flight to CX's gateway time also run out on the 24 hours.

Many options where is should be possible as well to print a boarding pass. But I assume OP has done the math on it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.