Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Old May 7, 19, 11:59 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
Edit - Moved to correct section
Old May 11, 19, 7:42 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Platinum Ambassador
I would definitely take a different airline, if I were as neurotic as you about the hand luggage policy......and leave TG to the rest of us who enjoy the airline and will usually take a small advantage of the carry on policy. I, for one, will take a single max size carry on, and a "large" laptop bag, and a rucksack, and this will do me for 7-10 days with hotel laundry helping out along the way.

THAI tends to offer Business Class for less money than all the other airlines you have quoted, especially from Japan, so ditch THAI and book with another airline.....PLEASE
Old May 13, 19, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Thaikwai View Post
I would definitely take a different airline, if I were as neurotic as you about the hand luggage policy......and leave TG to the rest of us who enjoy the airline and will usually take a small advantage of the carry on policy.
Re the people "who enjoy the airline": Aren't you the one who keeps going on about how bad TG is in comparison with other airlines in the region?

But anyway, I still think it is uncalled for to refer to someone who takes official hand luggage rules more or less seriously as "neurotic". If they are as relaxed as you say, it is a clear competitive disadvantage that their published rules are so much more stingy than their competitors' allowances, and thus simply not smart. I will find out soon.
Old May 13, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by plaintalk View Post
Re the people "who enjoy the airline": Aren't you the one who keeps going on about how bad TG is in comparison with other airlines in the region?

But anyway, I still think it is uncalled for to refer to someone who takes official hand luggage rules more or less seriously as "neurotic". If they are as relaxed as you say, it is a clear competitive disadvantage that their published rules are so much more stingy than their competitors' allowances, and thus simply not smart. I will find out soon.
True.....I call them out on issues where I believe they underperform versus the competition, but they still represent the best airline for me when it comes to in-flight service, food, ground passenger handling (bearing in mind that I am a Platinum ROP member), and award redemption. They underperform in a lot of areas, including ticket pricing, but they are still the best airline for me as a Bangkok resident. Although the number of bus gates is beginning to test my loyalty...subject of another thread
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; BA Exec Club Silver
Hi TG gurus,

I have a few questions which which I hope you’re able to help out with. I will be travelling with my OH over Xmas and NY to Thailand and Cambodia and will be flying a variety of airlines in and around the region, including WE and TG.

Our final flight will be from CNX to BKK, where we will connect (on separate tickets) to QR J to go back to Europe. So my questions are the following:

1. Would TG interline with QR in our case and send our luggage the whole way through to Stockholm if we were to book with them?

The next bunch of questions probably need some context. We would plan to take the final TG from CNX to BKK, as our QR flight departs at 5am. I believe that has us landing in BKK at around 22.30. Depending on whether our bags can be checked through, and on the assumption we would need to check in for our QR flight (we’d do this as soon as check-in opens at around 2am) in BKK, is there anywhere to park ourselves to watch films or something from our computer landside in BKK which is relatively quiet?

if, on the other hand, TG can interline our luggage, can they also check us in for our QR flight and send us CIQ from CNX? And in that case, as we fly J, are any lounges open between midnight and 2.30am (which is when QR lounge opens, I understand) which we could access? Alternatively we will again just try to find a quietist area to park ourselves to rest and watch some films.

Final question (I think). Is it worth flying J from CNX to BKK? It seems to be a 777-300 TG plane, and the cost differential is only around 50€ as far as I can understand (1800 THB). And would flying J into BKK give us access to anything special once arriving in BKK before we can take advantage of our QR J benefits?

Oh, one final thing. The fact the flight from CNX leaves the night before our QR flight (even though the layover is only around 7-8 hours I think), would that have any effect on the ability to interline/check through by TG?

Ive only once flown TG before and that was LHR-BKK in the a380 sardine can class, so I am keen to see the J product, even if only domestic. A final data point, though I guess at this part of the journey it has no effect on anything, is that I will be able to travel to Thailand visa-exempt whereas OH is VOA. Who knows, maybe they’ll extend the VOA fee waiver until Xmas

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these questions.

Old Jun 17, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by ChrisBub View Post

Final question (I think). Is it worth flying J from CNX to BKK? It seems to be a 777-300 TG plane, and the cost differential is only around 50€ as far as I can understand (1800 THB). And would flying J into BKK give us access to anything special once arriving in BKK before we can take advantage of our QR J benefits?
Flying TG J CNX-BKK will offer you TG lounge access in CNX. There will be no benefit once you arrive in BKK. No alcohol is served on domestic flights, even in J. Personally I'm not sure it is worth it.
Old Jun 18, 19, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
Flying TG J CNX-BKK will offer you TG lounge access in CNX. There will be no benefit once you arrive in BKK. No alcohol is served on domestic flights, even in J. Personally I'm not sure it is worth it.
Thanks very much, that’s helpful. Don’t mind so much about alcohol personally. Would you happen to know any of the answers to the other questions? Or whether a link between J ticket on TG and J ticket QR increases chances or makes it easier to interline the bags?

that is again for taking the time to respond.
Old Jun 18, 19, 1:55 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Normally, TG at CNX would be happy to check bags to final destination even when on separate tickets - especially at outstations like CNX; agents do that all the time there (I expect several times each day). However, as your QR flight is the next day, I believe it is likely that TG can not or will refuse to check bags for a onward flight the following day - also as you have plenty of time to collect the bags at BKK carousels for check-in with QR when check-in opens. I think the "overnight connection" makes a big difference here (technically you are not connecting at BKK when you are on separate tickets) - but admittedly, I have no first hand experience. As you may know already the issue of checking bags to final destination on separate tickets in Thailand and with TG is one of the most discussed topics in this forum; plenty of information here but I don't recall any recent with a "overnight connection". Anyway, if you have to collect bags at BKK and check-in with QR landside it is not disaster. There should be plenty of places/seats landside to spend a couple of hours until QR check-in opens - the airport is relatively quiet after 1-2AM but will never be very quiet.

If you ask me TG J class for a short domestic flight is not worth it. If you can get a 1,800 THB W/V fare take it!
Old Jun 18, 19, 3:01 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
If you ask me TG J class for a short domestic flight is not worth it. If you can get a 1,800 THB W/V fare take it!
Poster @ChrisBub was noting that there was a THB 1800 price difference between economy and business, not of the economy fare was THB 1800....

IMHO, there is nil benefit in flying J domestically in terms of the subsequent QR flight. But it is a nice enough experience, and it's your call if it is worth THB 1800 for an hour flight... I agree that it is less likely that TG will be willing to check bags through on an overnight connection.

Assuming you have to collect bags from the CNX-BKK flight, and go land-side and wait for check in to open, then there are a few places on Level 3 (between arrivals and departures) to hang out for a while. I think there is a quiet-ish area on the departures level at the far western end - high letter check-in zone. But you'd best do some research - try here: https://www.sleepinginairports.net

Frankly, I'd depart CNX earlier in the day and grab a hotel in Bangkok or near the airport......
Old Jun 18, 19, 4:04 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post

Frankly, I'd depart CNX earlier in the day and grab a hotel in Bangkok or near the airport......
This is solid advice. I would also fly to BKK earlier and buy a cheap hotel in the vicinity of the airport (often rates as low as 1,000 THB/nt). Then go to bed early and wake up for a shortly before 4AM check-in with QR.

Sorry, I misread the OP concerning the CNX-BKK fare. Even with a fare difference of THB 1,800 I would buy the ticket for Y/M rather than J.
Old Jun 18, 19, 4:58 am

Thanks very much to all. I think we'll take your advice and take an earlier flight down from CNX and try to get some shuteye near the airport. I'll reach out to Thai also just to ask directly if the overnight connection on separate PNRs is an issue and not possible, but given the consensus here it seems the most sensible thing to do is go down to Bangkok earlier and stay there.

Thanks again, this has been a great help, and if by any chance I end up ignoring your advice and trying anyway to check through luggage I will report back on my experience.
Old Jun 22, 19, 12:31 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
I would also second the advice from others of going down to BKK earlier and getting some proper sleep - you will thank yourself for that when you are on the final leg from DOH

I personally think J domestic is worth it, especially if the price differential is only 1,800 THB - and it might make TG staff more amenable to checking your luggage through if permitted.
Old Jun 24, 19, 10:25 pm

Thanks for the above. Yea, actually when I think that 1800baht is the price I’d pay to add luggage to some bookings on flights in Europe it’s not actually that high, so maybe

Otherwise just to feed back for future reference for anyone in a similar quandary, I got a reply from Thai’s Chiang Mai office saying they would interline as long as there was less than 12hrs between departures, so in my case despite the difference in dates they would be able to interline us the whole way through. They did stipulate that this applies only to flights through BKK more or less -it’s a bit murky (though I don’t know where else flights would go through to connect to QR...HKT or KBV maybe).

Full response below copied:

According to Interline Baggage Transfer agreement between Thai Airways and Qatar Airways, both of the parties can transfer the baggage i.e. baggage could be checked from TG to QR or vice versa provided that;

1 The minimum connecting time between 2 flights at Bangkok (TG-QR) is 1 hour , the maximum connecting time between 2 flights at Bangkok is 12 hours

2 The actual checked baggage piece and/or weight must not over the allowance stated on the passenger's ticket of both carrier. In case of passenger has excessive piece and/or weight, passenger might needed to settle up the payment against the over allowance first.

3 Passenger would be required to present the ticket of connecting flight(Qatar Airways), showing the -CONFIRMED- status of the reservation upon checking in at Chiang Mai with Thai Airways Check In counter.

Considering the time of departure of Qatar Airways provided, and to comply with the requirement above, passenger would need to travel on any Thai Airways flights arriving Bangkok not earlier than 17:25 hours on 2nd January.

Kindly also be informed that the condition is applied to the journey on Thai Airways operating flights connecting to Qatar Airways operating flights at Bangkok airport only. Condition could be various in case of passenger travelling with other carrier/codeshare flights or connecting at other airport.
Old Jun 25, 19, 3:30 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
@ChrisBub. To be technical, you don’t actually have a ‘connecting’ flight as per THAI’s email response to you, because your CNX-BKK on TG is a completely separate ticket to your QR ticket.

THAI will be doing you a favour, but experience is that they are usually good at doing so.

In your email, did you make it plain you had two separate tickets? With two different booking References?
Old Jun 25, 19, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
@ChrisBub. To be technical, you don’t actually have a ‘connecting’ flight as per THAI’s email response to you, because your CNX-BKK on TG is a completely separate ticket to your QR ticket.

THAI will be doing you a favour, but experience is that they are usually good at doing so.

In your email, did you make it plain you had two separate tickets? With two different booking References?
I did indeed - was very clear about that ('Flights are on separate tickets (different PNR)') - and they said ideally they would like the QR ticket number just to double check baggage allowances match but still they could check me through. In the end I went ahead and booked the J fare so will send over the QR ticket number to them to see if they can put it in their system. Will continue to feed back
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Search this Thread