Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is not a recliner, is an angled flat seat. And as the angled flats go this is probably the best I have been on. It is the NEO seat on a 787-8 that is sent to San Diego and Vancouver.

It is NH that send people from Tokyo to Vancouver on regional recliners on a frequent basis.
I guess what surprises me is that any airline would have outfitted a modern aircraft like the 787 with an already outdated seat type. Then again JL was one of the first airlines with 787 aircraft, so perhaps it makes sense.

I would fly on that route if travel time were critical and/or if the price were right. I used to fly AA 777 J with recliners on TPAC flights to/from NRT over a decade ago. It was not an impressive seat even at the time, but at the right price - Y fare + miles and copay for upgrade - it was great value and comfortable enough.

The same goes for TG. When I get a good deal on a saver J ticket, I do not complain if I get an angled lie flat 777 because it’s still good value.

Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is not a recliner, is an angled flat seat. And as the angled flats go this is probably the best I have been on. It is the NEO seat on a 787-8 that is sent to San Diego and Vancouver.

It is NH that send people from Tokyo to Vancouver on regional recliners on a frequent basis.
does any reasonable airline still operate airplanes with recliners in J on long haul flights >6 hours?
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by BinSabai
does any reasonable airline still operate airplanes with recliners in J on long haul flights >6 hours?
ANA on a regular basis.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I guess what surprises me is that any airline would have outfitted a modern aircraft like the 787 with an already outdated seat type. Then again JL was one of the first airlines with 787 aircraft, so perhaps it makes sense.

I would fly on that route if travel time were critical and/or if the price were right. I used to fly AA 777 J with recliners on TPAC flights to/from NRT over a decade ago. It was not an impressive seat even at the time, but at the right price - Y fare + miles and copay for upgrade - it was great value and comfortable enough.

The same goes for TG. When I get a good deal on a saver J ticket, I do not complain if I get an angled lie flat 777 because it’s still good value.

When JAL ordered the 787 they were still on Shell Flat and Shell Flat NEO. The delay in the delivery meant that the world and JAL had moved on by the time the 787 started being delivered. Part of the fleet has the NEO seat, doing San Diego, Vancouver, Los Angeles and Bagkok from Kansai, a few Tokyo Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Seoul, and other shorter Intra Asia routes. Part of the fleet has the Apex Suite, which is doing Europe, US and Australia, and finally a few has a compact reverse herringbone doing longer Intra Asia routes. Almost as complex as TG fleet config, but not quite....
MikeFromTokyo and BinSabai like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:31 am

No, by definition that would be unreasonable. On second thought, come to think of it that is the case on all TG 744 flights. I just never think about that because I am in F on those flights.

TG is more than a reasonable airline, but occasionally has unreasonable quirks. Overall, my experience with TG is so great that I can live with an occasional aircraft change or other inconvenience.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:11 am

No, by definition that would be unreasonable. On second thought, come to think of it that is the case on all TG 744 flights. I just never think about that because I am in F on those flights.

TG is more than a reasonable airline, but occasionally has unreasonable quirks. Overall, my experience with TG is so great that I can live with an occasional aircraft change or other inconvenience.
TG's 747 have all angle flat seats in J, no recliners.
the last flights with recliners on TG fleet I did more than 5 years ago
with the old, not refurbished A330 to CNX (even at that time only 2 airplanes left) and with the 737 to PEN (both retired now)
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:15 am

TG's 747 have all angle flat seats in J, no recliners.
the last flights with recliners on TG fleet I did more than 5 years ago
with the old, not refurbished A330 to CNX (even at that time only 2 airplanes left) and with the 737 to PEN (both retired now)
Sorry misread your post. I was thinking angled lie flat.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Sorry misread your post. I was thinking angled lie flat.
Maybe because the most comfortable position IME for the 'angled flat' seat is in 'quasi-recliner' mode - which at least stops the slow slide off the seats when trying to sleep on an overnight flight.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Maybe because the most comfortable position IME for the 'angled flat' seat is in 'quasi-recliner' mode - which at least stops the slow slide off the seats when trying to sleep on an overnight flight.
Yes, and I actually can think of times when I have slept better in an older 90s, early 2000s, good recliner than on an angled lie flat. An angled lie flat can feel rather uncomfortable actually. TG’s are okay, and I like that the cabin on the 777 is at least lower density. Other airlines would have a 2-3-2 layout, where TG had 2-2-2.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
An angled lie flat can feel rather uncomfortable actually. TG’s are okay, and I like that the cabin on the 777 is at least lower density.
TG has the most comfortable angle-flat I've flown. Still wouldn't want to fly it for a true long-haul (i.e., anything longer than ICN-BKK).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:28 am

Yes, and I actually can think of times when I have slept better in an older 90s, early 2000s, good recliner than on an angled lie flat. An angled lie flat can feel rather uncomfortable actually. TG’s are okay, and I like that the cabin on the 777 is at least lower density. Other airlines would have a 2-3-2 layout, where TG had 2-2-2.
TG's 777-300 has actually a 2-3-2 layout in J (front row 2-2-2)
but I agree with Kacee, still quite comfortable and I have spent countless red eyes flight from BKK to China, Japan and Korea on those angle flat seats without sliding down...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:33 pm

I have a Royal Orchid Plus account but can't search or price itineraries online without transferring sufficient points in (and thus locking them into a three-year lifespan).

1. How far in advance does the award calendar open up? If I'm looking for, say, an Air Canada award which they would book for revenue or through Aeroplan at ~355 days out, would I be able to book through ROP then or are they closer to the ~330 days of some other airlines?

2. What are the surcharges like on, say, YVR-SYD (or MEL or BNE) and return, in J, on the AC nonstops?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Managed to get a fun UA mileage ticket for 65K. Flying July 20th:
AKL-SYD NZ C on 777
SYD-BKK TG F on 747
BKK-KIX on TG F on A380.
Layover in SYD is 3+ hours, but in BKK only about an hour.
For the TG segments-- a few questions:

1) I haven't done much research but figure there will be plenty of food to eat? Does TG do dine on demand or a big meal after take off?
2) Will TG serve a meal after takeoff on BKK-KIX, or before landing? It's a short redeye flight. My experience has seen both-- on SQ SIN-NRT, you choose when you want to eat, but only once; on JL you got a little snack or amuse bouche after takeoff, then a full breakfast (on KUL-NRT a couple years ago).
3) With the 70 minute layover in BKK-- will I be brought by buggy from the first flight to the next? Is there time for 20-30 min in the F lounge? Likely not, right? That's ok but always good to know how it will go.
4) My seats on the 747 are 2A, on the A380 it's 1K. Nothing else is open on the 747, but 1K, 2K, 3K, and 2A are all available on the A380. Opinions?

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Using ExpertFlyer:

SYD-BKK shows 8/9 seats occupied and the other seat (3K) 'blocked'. 2A is fine.

BKK-KIX shows 5/12 seats occupied (1E/F/K, 2A, 3A) and 3F 'blocked'. Never flown TG's 380, but 1K looks fine.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:55 pm

2A/2K are my favorite seats on the 744. More spacious than row one, but very private.

I haven’t been on a very late night flight in a long time, but I recall eating breakfast before arrival and no large meal service after departure. Of course, if you are hungry, just ask for a snack. You should probably have dinner at the F lounge.

Enjoy your trip! It’s amazing what 65k UA miles can get you. That’s a whole lot of F/J travel for 65k miles, on great airlines too^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.