Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
1. I agree, subject to the mess that LHR sounds like these days, bags will likely make it. For convenience though (and of course that is a personal preference), I would suggest HBO if possible, just to make for a faster journey.
2. Yes, should be no issues
3. I would give another vote for SQ (pre-covid). I tried AC and UA once before but settled on SQ after that if going from B gates or having plenty of time.
4. No data points from me recently for LHR either, sorry
Post covid days the United Club seems to get better reviews than SQ.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Does anyone know what the guest policy is for the premium plaza contract lounge in KUL as a *gold traveling in Y? Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Star Alliance website notes:

Contract Lounges

At airports where neither a Star Alliance branded lounge nor a Star Alliance member carrier offers a lounge, third party lounges are contracted by some of our member airlines. As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling on a Star Alliance member airlines operated flight from such airports, you may have access to these third party contract lounges. Please refer to the Lounge Finder to identify which lounges you may have access to, according to the policy of each airline*.

*Check the current policy of the airline with which you are travelling.

In order to gain access to such lounges:
  • You will need to show your boarding pass for a flight operated by the Star Alliance member airline that has contracted that lounge.
  • If your boarding pass does not show the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need to also show a valid Star Alliance Gold card.
  • You can bring one guest, who must be travelling on the same Star Alliance flight as you.
In some cases, I have heard (but no examples) that contract lounges only grants access to the status holder and don’t allow accompanying guests free (but possibly access by paying)

The THAI website simply notes the Royal Silk Lounge at KUL contract was terminated in 2020, although this may not be actually current: https://www.thaiairways.com/en_NZ/pl...umpur_KUL.page
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Sep 8, 2022 at 2:09 pm
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Hi, if I book a cash J ticket on NRT-BKK TG, what are my options to upgrade to F via miles? There are no award seats available in F but not sure if availability is different for J->F upgrades. Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bomberman92 There are Standby Upgrades possible at the airport. Usually poor value, but if you have money …

The costs are linked at the bottom of this web page:
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/be...y-upgrade.page

NRT-BKK business->first is listed as JPY 54,600 (~USD 400). Not sure if those 2019 prices remain valid.
bomberman92 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:42 am
kkl

Anyone have a rough idea when TG releasing their Winter22 schedule?
BinSabai likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkl
Anyone have a rough idea when TG releasing their Winter22 schedule?
Usually it is later than most competitor airlines, and I don’t expect that pattern to change. So annoying to see on full Y fares loaded when competitors are have already loaded seasonal prices and deals.
kkl and BinSabai like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Not possible to do online, unless you want to wait until the lower fare classes are sold.
Next time I'll have to call in. I tried waiting and over the course of one day the website went from showing me V to completely gone. Ended up going with SQ instead, similar fare but greater total cost (hotels in SIN for overnighting in are significantly pricier than in BKK).
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: hahaha
I usually import a ton of fruit from southeast Asia back to Canada, and my past two TG flights (which I've alluded to in this thread, thanks so much for everyone's help!) were my first ex-Thailand.

Curiously, at baggage drop, TG staff asked me what I had inside my boxes, and I said "fruit". And for both trips they panicked and asked if I had any durian inside. I said no, but I don't see what the big deal was?

For my latter check-in experience, I asked them if it was a prohibited item, and they said that it was prohibited in checked baggage, even if it hadn't yet been opened to expose its awful smell.

There's no mention of durian on the dangerous goods section of the TG website: https://www.thaiairways.com/en/trave...n/baggage.page

I'm well aware of the etiquette around eating/peeling/opening smelly durian, jackfruit, (and new to me this year) mangosteen in southeast Asia, but being prohibited in checked bags, where the passenger and airport and ground crew are able to control its movement and isolate the smells...is this actually policy somewhere? I ask because in future trips I will be interested in exporting jackfruit and maybe durian, and I'd hate to be stopped by the baggage scanners and have to rift through my box of fruit at the airport, and then somehow have to discard the fruit at an overflowing garbage bin...lol

And, having exported smelly jackfruit USA + Asia -> Canada in the past, I've definitely needed to airtight seal my boxes and wrap the fruit to not only prevent the smell from leaking but also to prevent the pointy fruit from destroying the boxes. That's just common sense and courtesy! Though, I doubt that story would assuage TG's concerns
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having lived in and around SE Asian since 1985, Durian in aircraft, buses (and some hotels) has always been ‘a thing’ to be aware of.
Not always formally notified in official documents, but certainly ‘a thing’ to be aware of …

Astonished that mangosteen would arouse any concerns anywhere…..
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: M&M
Hi, does anyone know what lounge TG uses at BLR for *A Gold members? The website isn't updated as the lounges it shows are closed and 2 new lounges have come up instead.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thirdfromright
Hi, does anyone know what lounge TG uses at BLR for *A Gold members? The website isn't updated as the lounges it shows are closed and 2 new lounges have come up instead.
The Star Alliance Lounge finder doesn’t find any lounges. But that might not be correct.

Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The Star Alliance Lounge finder doesn’t find any lounges. But that might not be correct.

Yeah, there is some issue with the lounge finder. It doesn't show me any lounges even for Bangkok.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:17 am

I have a TG reservation. How can I enter my UA MP Account number? Customer service center here in Japan has to long of waiting times and is useless. Having trouble finding
a solution on line after I pull up the reservation.. Suggestions?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I have a TG reservation. How can I enter my UA MP Account number? Customer service center here in Japan has to long of waiting times and is useless. Having trouble finding
a solution on line after I pull up the reservation.. Suggestions?
Do it at the check in counter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.