Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Old Aug 27, 22, 2:28 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jamar View Post
I've used the search tool to dig a little, but I couldn't find an exact answer- how do I book into a specific fare code? I'm earning on OZ, and I know most Y fare codes earn 0% on them. I'm trying to do TPE-BKK-LHR and Super Save, Saver, and Flexi all show as "Class V" (one of the 0% earning codes) when booking on the TG website for my desired date of travel. Full Flexi shows M, a code that earns 100%. ITA Matrix shows there are tickets available in fare codes that will earn me 75% or 100% for cheaper than Full Flexi but I'm not sure if I'll have any luck calling TG and asking them specifically for fares in one of those letter codes. Anyone else have any success doing this or will I have to go to a third party agency (or pay up for Full Flexi)?
for this I use a travel agency...
Old Aug 27, 22, 4:46 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*G, QF G, Accor Gold
Same. Or I have booked using local Thai Office.

Not possible to do online, unless you want to wait until the lower fare classes are sold.
Old Aug 30, 22, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I could not find a good thread for this, and did not want to make a new one. So I'll post here....

This article popped up in my news feeds.
https://www.nationthailand.com/busin...orate/40019354

Who would buy those planes? A government shell company used to funnel money in to TG on the sly by pretending they had a legit buyer? Why would anyone want to buy an A340-500 that's been parked for 10+years when they could get an ex Delta 777-200LR that's only been out of commission for a year and a bit.
Old Aug 30, 22, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I could not find a good thread for this, and did not want to make a new one. So I'll post here....

This article popped up in my news feeds.
https://www.nationthailand.com/busin...orate/40019354

Who would buy those planes? A government shell company used to funnel money in to TG on the sly by pretending they had a legit buyer? Why would anyone want to buy an A340-500 that's been parked for 10+years when they could get an ex Delta 777-200LR that's only been out of commission for a year and a bit.
Could be a ME emirate or government? They seem to like four-engined aircraft.
Old Aug 30, 22, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Could be a ME emirate or government? They seem to like four-engined aircraft.
Governments seems fine to go with two engines. Germany bought A350 to replace A340, Japan flies 777, UK flies A321LR and A330, Mexico (until they put it up for sale) flew 787, Australia flies A330, Canada flies A310, France flies A330, India flies 777.

And I can't really imagine any government being keen on buying that old a plane. It must indeed be dirt cheap, but still they'd be looking for reliability as one of their key points.
Old Aug 30, 22, 7:58 am

Programs: Mucci - Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Might be far fetched, but could it be someone buying it for parts?
BinSabai likes this.
Old Aug 30, 22, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
The thought did occur to me too....
Old Aug 30, 22, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Governments seems fine to go with two engines. Germany bought A350 to replace A340, Japan flies 777, UK flies A321LR and A330, Mexico (until they put it up for sale) flew 787, Australia flies A330, Canada flies A310, France flies A330, India flies 777.

And I can't really imagine any government being keen on buying that old a plane. It must indeed be dirt cheap, but still they'd be looking for reliability as one of their key points.
I probably wasnt clear I was referring to the ME emirates and governments. IIRC several of the royal flight wings have four-engined jets.
Old Aug 30, 22, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
I probably wasnt clear I was referring to the ME emirates and governments. IIRC several of the royal flight wings have four-engined jets.
I am fairly certain they would find newer options though.

I think the affinity for 747 is not four engines, but just a case of "mine is bigger than yours", but there are also plenty of two engine planes in their fleets, UAE's various Emirates have 4 787 and 2 777 in their fleets. Though maybe Kuwait could be looking for parts for their two current A340-500....?
Old Aug 30, 22, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
...to overcome some shortage due to sanctions to speak it out....
Old Aug 31, 22, 3:44 am

Hi all,

Just had an email this morning that our direct LHR-HKT flight (TG918/919) has been cancelled and we're now transiting via BKK (TG917 -> WE2217 / TG2202 -> WE916). Initially booked on TG for the direct flight - looks like I should've kept my ear closer to the ground when booking! Oh well, lesson learned.

Our transfer times are now quite tight (1h35 on the way out / 2h5 on the way back) - I changed planes in BKK back in 2010 on my way to Australia and remember the airport being absolutely huge. We are on one ticket so I assume our baggage will be checked through, but does 1h35/2h5 seem like a reasonable amount of time to transfer from international to domestic? Just to make it more fun, the return flight is 24th December...

Last edited by wadewadewade; Aug 31, 22 at 6:26 am Reason: Airline codes updated
Old Aug 31, 22, 4:44 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*G, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by wadewadewade View Post
Hi all,

Just had an email this morning that our direct LHR-HKT flight (TG918/919) has been cancelled and we're now transiting via BKK (TG917 -> TG2217 / TG2202 -> TG916). Initially booked on TG for the direct flight - looks like I should've kept my ear closer to the ground when booking! Oh well, lesson learned.

Our transfer times are now quite tight (1h35 on the way out / 2h5 on the way back) - I changed planes in BKK back in 2010 on my way to Australia and remember the airport being absolutely huge. We are on one ticket so I assume our baggage will be checked through, but does 1h35/2h5 seem like a reasonable amount of time to transfer from international to domestic? Just to make it more fun, the return flight is 24th December...
Should be fine still for the connection, but no loitering. There will be an obvious transfer process with staff/signs to direct you from International arrival gate to the Domestic departure gate.

Just note that TG2217 and TG2202 are on THAI Smile (WE), a code-share subsidiary of THAI International (TG). Uses narrow-body A320. No business class.
BinSabai and wadewadewade like this.
Old Aug 31, 22, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by wadewadewade View Post
Hi all,

Just had an email this morning that our direct LHR-HKT flight (TG918/919) has been cancelled and we're now transiting via BKK (TG917 -> TG2217 / TG2202 -> TG916). Initially booked on TG for the direct flight - looks like I should've kept my ear closer to the ground when booking! Oh well, lesson learned.

the direct flights to Phuket from overseas were due to the Sandbox scheme from second half last year to early this year... as you had to fly to Phuket directly and no transit was allowed in BKK. Now everything is back to precovid and most of the TG flights from overseas go to BKK and you have to transit there to HKT
the time is sufficent for transit
inbound you have to check luggage through and you get boarding pass for both flights in LHR; after arrival in BKK follow the signs for transit passengers to Phuket etc. you will go through a special immigration at the intersection of A/B/C/D terminal and from there directly into the domestic terminal A and B; security is in front of the gates
on the way back you have to check in at the international terminal in HKT, go there through immigration and in BKK you have to follow the signs for transit passengers and go directly (passing security) into the international terminal
Thai-Kiwi and wadewadewade like this.
Old Aug 31, 22, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Just note that TG2217 and TG2202 are on THAI Smile (WE), a code-share subsidiary of THAI International (TG). Uses narrow-body A320. No business class.
Yes, thought that would be the case - we are down the back of the plane anyway so no worry there!

Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
the direct flights to Phuket from overseas were due to the Sandbox scheme from second half last year to early this year... as you had to fly to Phuket directly and no transit was allowed in BKK. Now everything is back to precovid and most of the TG flights from overseas go to BKK and you have to transit there to HKT
the time is sufficent for transit
inbound you have to check luggage through and you get boarding pass for both flights in LHR; after arrival in BKK follow the signs for transit passengers to Phuket etc. you will go through a special immigration at the intersection of A/B/C/D terminal and from there directly into the domestic terminal A and B; security is in front of the gates
on the way back you have to check in at the international terminal in HKT, go there through immigration and in BKK you have to follow the signs for transit passengers and go directly (passing security) into the international terminal
Thanks for the info - had I done more research I might've figured this would happen! Good to know there's enough time, we will be snappy
Thai-Kiwi and BinSabai like this.
Old Sep 1, 22, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am Star Alliance Gold (Turkish Elite) My partner an I flying Thai to BKK on different PNR's because she's staying longer. We have seats (in economy) next to each other but I am wondering if Thai will try to block a seat given my status? (so we have a row of three between us) I understand OneWorld does this (I am also OW Gold but in reality I have probably a 50% chance of this working on OW)

Search this Thread