Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:26 am

I am not familiar with LH Star Alliance partner upgrades, but if they can be used domestically on TG it would probably have to be a full fare Y ticket or at least one of the more expensive fare buckets.

Your best bet is to just purchase J (it is not that much more expensive), or pay cash for a standby upgrade at check in.

It would be a ridiculous waste of LH miles to upgrade a domestic TG flight, if it is even possible to do that.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:38 am

I am prone to admit it would be ridiculous and I probably won't do it anyway, but it was worth checking, simply I have a small pile of miles that I cannot do anything more interesting with as I do not fly Star Alliance any more

By the way I came back so quickly as I found out that you cannot upgrade Early Saver, the fare rules are available on a later page.

ticket is non-refundable. changes not permitted.
note -
. name change is not permitted.
. name correction is permitted with fee thb 500
other details remain unchanged
. open ticket / open date are not allowed
. ticket are non reroutable/no upgrade and non
refundable
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:45 am

I would not rule out the possibility of paid standby upgrades.

Will the LH miles expire? If so, perhaps consider donating them, redeeming for a non air travel award (e.g. Merchandise, hotel), or gifting an award tocket to a friend.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
For Star Alliance upgrades, it is basically only the one or two highest economy booking classes that are upgradable, additionally I inventory needs to be available. So in practical terms, they are not very useful.
(Star Alliance upgrades meaning using miles from carrier A to upgrade on a carrier B flight)
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by marine1988
My question comes from a different angle, can somebody tell me if those flights are permitted for an upgrade using Miles and More miles and generally how to check upgrade availability? I have a number of miles that I will never ever use and they will simply be lost, so thought about upgrading those flights in Thailand just for fun really.
I am not sure whether I understood, but you want to upgrade domestic flights on TG from economy to biz?
you just get a bit a more comfortable seat for a one hour flight. service, food and drinks (no booze on domestic flights!) is pretty much the same in both classes; the domestic lounges are also nothing to write home about!
and yes it is possible using M&M miles if your ticket class permits but I would use them to upgrade long haul flights
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
for those familiar with the HKT-BKK-xxx transits and v.v. (all TG flights):

I am booked on the 23:59 departure from BKK to PEK (TG 674). Which flight would you take out of HKT to make the connection in BKK?

the 8:35 pm arrive 10:00 pm?
or the 7:00 pm arrive 8:25 pm?

Also, I think I understand, but: can I clear customs/immigration in HKT, thus minimizing the time I will need in BKK? it effectively becomes a domestic transfer in BKK, no? and assuming so, how much time do I need in HKT prior to my flight?

and finally, a question about my inbound (PVG-BKK-HKT; all TG flights): do I need to do anything in BKK other than change planes? can I immigrate in HKT?

many thanks^
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by NightTripper
for those familiar with the HKT-BKK-xxx transits and v.v. (all TG flights):

I am booked on the 23:59 departure from BKK to PEK (TG 674). Which flight would you take out of HKT to make the connection in BKK?

the 8:35 pm arrive 10:00 pm?
or the 7:00 pm arrive 8:25 pm?
later flight is sufficient

Also, I think I understand, but: can I clear customs/immigration in HKT, thus minimizing the time I will need in BKK? it effectively becomes a domestic transfer in BKK, no? and assuming so, how much time do I need in HKT prior to my flight?
you have to check your luggage through and will clear immigration in HKT and proceed to international departure area; you will get a sticker (so called C.I.Q. sticker) for domestic to international transfer in BKK; in BKK you will go from domestic terminal through security check into international departure area.
For check in in HKT without priority status I would recommend 90 minutes before flight to be on the safe side

and finally, a question about my inbound (PVG-BKK-HKT; all TG flights): do I need to do anything in BKK other than change planes? can I immigrate in HKT?

many thanks^
arriving in BKK from PVG, proceed to intersection of A/B/C/D terminal for transfer to domestic area. You will go through immigration in BKK and then security check and proceed into domestic departure area. customs clearance takes place in HKT (if you have your luggage checked through from PVG to HKT)
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
thank you BinSabai!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:58 am

thank you BinSabai!
you are welcome!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Hi TG experts!

I will fly on my first Thai Airways flight next week, HKG-BKK in F. I have a lounge question.

I will transit in BKK for 3 hours before continuing on SQ to SIN in J. Will TG allow me to use the F lounge in BKK or must I use the SQ J lounge?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by jacobsleather
Hi TG experts!

I will fly on my first Thai Airways flight next week, HKG-BKK in F. I have a lounge question.

I will transit in BKK for 3 hours before continuing on SQ to SIN in J. Will TG allow me to use the F lounge in BKK or must I use the SQ J lounge?
no access to TG F and you do not continue your trip on TG; would you fly BKK SIN on TG, you had access to F lounge when arriving in F
yes Silver Kris lounge in concourse A will be your lounge, unless you are *A gold then you can use also TG and BR J lounges
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Thanks BinSabai, I will go directly to SQ lounge!
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BinSabai
no access to TG F and you do not continue your trip on TG; would you fly BKK SIN on TG, you had access to F lounge when arriving in F
yes Silver Kris lounge in concourse A will be your lounge, unless you are *A gold then you can use also TG and BR J lounges
If OP is flying in J then any *A J lounge is at their avail.

Though I'd say the SQ lounge is likely the most desirable.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
First time flying with Thai. A few questions...

Hi All,

Thanks for having a first-time Thai flyer thread. I will be flying to BKK via Delta in May 2016. This is not my first trip to BKK, was there November 2014. However, this trip will be for my honeymoon. We are flying to BKK via Delta and staying 5 days. Then, flying BKK-HKT via Thai for 4 days. I have already booked my tickets for Business Class (Royal Silk). A few questions:

1. When will we be able to assign seats for this trip? Is it only at check-in for Domestic flights? Any issues in doing this online before heading to BKK from the hotel?

2. What lounge will we have access to (if any) on this trip? I have no status with Star Alliance, and won't have any with SkyTeam by the time May rolls around. Was a little confused looking on the Thai website at the various lounges.

3. Lastly, in terms of comparison to Domestic First Class on US carriers, what should we expect for our BKK-HKT-BKK Royal Silk journey with Thai?

Thanks so much for your time!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:50 pm

1. 24 hours before flight you can check seat assignment and change by iCheck-in on TG website
2. from BKK to HKT TG domestic lounge; international flight out of BKK as TG biz class you can go into any *A lounge like TG, SQ and BR
3. BKK HKT in comparison to F domestic in USA: usually better seat, but it depends on airplane. no alcohol on TG domestic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.