Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Interline Baggage Allowance on 2 separate tickets

Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold

Hi,

I am trying to book my parents from BLR to SFO. I have to make 2 separate bookings :

BLR-BKK on TG economy (paid commercial booking)

BKK-(TG)-NRT-(UA)-SFO in Business class (Star alliance award on Lifemiles)

Would they be eligible for 2 pieces or will they be limited to 20 kg when checking in at BLR?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These are separate tickets. Your parents will receive the TG Y allowance for BLR-BKK. At BKK they will retrieve their bags and check them in again. At that time, they will receive the allowance for TG -- presuming that it is the marketing carrier -- for BKK-NRT. That allowance will stay with them for NRT-SFO and for their return segments on that ticket.

Note that when they check their bags at BKK, their bags will be checked through to SFO.

You parents may get lucky and a kindly agent may check their bags at BLR to SFO. But, your parents cannot count on this.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:00 pm

I would appeal to the check in agent to allow me to check in the J eligibility for baggage in a nice friendly way showing my BP for the J flights. make sure you have the FF numbers on both the paid and award tickets.
Worth a try. has worked for me on Emirates.......
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Thank you all for your input. I recently did a similar trip in reverse - SFO-SIN on SQ and SIN-MAA on AI - both were different tickets. I was able to check my bags all the way to MAA from SFO as well as getting the 2 piece allowance. I was hoping the same would be true of this trip from BLR to SFO.

Wouldn't the most significant carrier rule apply in this case? Could my parents not argue that during check-in at BLR?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
No - as it is 2 tickets there is no connection to it!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kaushik123

Wouldn't the most significant carrier rule apply in this case? Could my parents not argue that during check-in at BLR?
Not on separate tickets. Not to mention that arguing MSC with a check-in agent is likely to be a complete waste of time, even where it does apply.

If it's TG staff at BLR good chance they give the J allowance. Contract staff, not so much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.