Cheeselovers...

Old Jun 12, 14, 4:11 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GSE
Programs: TG Gold
Posts: 436
Cheeselovers...

Took OSL-BKK in Biz the other day and was looking forward for some nice selection with cheese and crackers.

This is what i got...




I did not belive my eyes... i got far better with Turkish in Economy....

Is this TG up to date or just a bad day?
Magnus is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 6:51 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
on BKK HKG biz last week no cheese at all! after the main dish just a fruit plate without any cheese
the cheese selection was never TG's core competence. Good quality you get only in F sometimes
BinSabai is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 8:35 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 213
Consider yourself lucky that they did not only have their infamous "fruit cheese" on offer.

I might offer the suggestion that if food is a priority, one would be best off flying another major carrier other than TG.
tookay is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 9:17 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 4,303
I've had 6 TG flights in the last 3 years. The food has never been the star of the experience.

I have found lately that the food, especially in the lounge, has gone downhill quite considerably.

If in F or an empty cabin in business, you can usually get a large chunk of cheese served.
worldtraveller73 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 14, 1:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,608
Even in F cheese is disappointing. More like cheap cheese from a US supermarket. Others (LH,LX,CX,SQ from memory) have far better cheese selection.
Unterwegs is offline  
Old Jun 13, 14, 10:02 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 589
Well Thailand is not a dairy country. The Thai language doesn't even have a word for "cheese". The use "hard butter".

One reason for this is that many Asian are lactose intolerant and all milk products are rare and expensive. Even plain milk.

Cheese is hard to get in Thailand and good cheese is only available at a very few locations.

Maybe this explains why TG does not focus on cheese.
Fan2502 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 14, 3:10 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 915
Originally Posted by Fan2502 View Post
Well Thailand is not a dairy country. The Thai language doesn't even have a word for "cheese". The use "hard butter".

One reason for this is that many Asian are lactose intolerant and all milk products are rare and expensive. Even plain milk.

Cheese is hard to get in Thailand and good cheese is only available at a very few locations.

Maybe this explains why TG does not focus on cheese.
What a stupid statement .
pansted00 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 14, 3:45 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ZRH/YXU
Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by pansted00 View Post
What a stupid statement .
Why so? Seems to me like a reasonable explanation why they would lack expertise on cheese. How would you fare putting together let's say a sake drinks list?
Skyborne Flyer is offline  
Old Jun 13, 14, 7:40 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 213
If I ran an airline and most of my F and C class passengers were Japanese, I would hire a consultant to select my sake. Most of TG's F & C class passengers are not Thai, so might that also be a good approach for them as well regarding cheese selection?

Thailand is also not a "wine country", so what about wine? Is there a Thai word for wine? Sure - it's pronounced "wine". Maybe the reason they don't even serve wine at two of their lounges in BKK is because Thailand is not a wine country?

I agree that "Thailand is not a cheese country" is a ridiculous statement. I believe that TG's rationale for their cheese selection or lack thereof can be summed up in one word:

Cheap.

And BTW, Thailand is indeed a "fruit country". Check out the fruit selection in the photo that Magnus posted.
tookay is offline  
Old Jun 13, 14, 11:03 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
does this mean that an airline from a country that does not have core competencies in engineering can neglect airplane maintenance?
BinSabai is offline  
Old Jun 14, 14, 12:07 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SYD & 35K ft.
Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Posts: 1,911
After I've consumed everything else during meal service, all washed down with bubbles and vin rouge - that looks like a fine portion to me (and I LOVE cheese), all that said, is the issue here the quality or quantity?

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Airgroovin is offline  
Old Jun 14, 14, 12:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Singapore
Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
Posts: 433
Originally Posted by Airgroovin' View Post
After I've consumed everything else during meal service, all washed down with bubbles and vin rouge - that looks like a fine portion to me (and I LOVE cheese), all that said, is the issue here the quality or quantity?

Cheers,

AG. :-:
BTW, you can request crackers if they don't offer.
aislealways is offline  
Old Jun 14, 14, 8:00 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 11,665
Unfortunately, food in TG F is usually quite poor.
The budget is probably low, but more importantly food is tasteless. Mostly a juxtaposition of various elements without any imaginative cooking.
Very poor out of BKK, a bit better from outstations. My experience was usually reasonable out of ZRH, mixed out of HKG, but quite poor out of CDG.
brunos is offline  
Old Jun 14, 14, 8:06 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Singapore
Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
Posts: 433
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Unfortunately, food in TG F is usually quite poor.
The budget is probably low, but more importantly food is tasteless. Mostly a juxtaposition of various elements without any imaginative cooking.
Very poor out of BKK, a bit better from outstations. My experience was usually reasonable out of ZRH, mixed out of HKG, but quite poor out of CDG.
I've never had good food out of CDG on any airline including Air France. However I disagree on first food on TG. Recently the Thai Exec set meal has been extremely good, as is the jok as an in flight 'snack' - in reality a meal.

I find western food on TG off at times, but I find Asian food on EU airlines equally odd - at times.

Last edited by aislealways; Jun 14, 14 at 8:06 am Reason: Typo
aislealways is offline  
Old Jun 14, 14, 8:13 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 11,665
Originally Posted by aislealways View Post
I've never had good food out of CDG on any airline including Air France. However I disagree on first food on TG. Recently the Thai Exec set meal has been extremely good, as is the jok as an in flight 'snack' - in reality a meal.

I find western food on TG off at times, but I find Asian food on EU airlines equally odd - at times.
In large airports like LHR, CDG or FRA, any airline can work to get excellent food in F.

Unfortunately AF is not a reference in terms of food, even in F out of CDG, but that has mostly to do with how much they are willing to spend. However, their starter, main dish and dessert in F is better than on TG (even AF J can be better than TG F). I have taken many airlines in F out of CDG and found that the food on SQ, EK, EY, NH can be superb (MH is quite nice, CX is average). But TG is really poor.

I find BA F food out of LHR excellent too, as well as from many outstations.
brunos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: