Wiki Posts
Search

Cheeselovers...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG Gold
Cheeselovers...

Took OSL-BKK in Biz the other day and was looking forward for some nice selection with cheese and crackers.

This is what i got...

I did not belive my eyes... i got far better with Turkish in Economy....

Is this TG up to date or just a bad day?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
on BKK HKG biz last week no cheese at all! after the main dish just a fruit plate without any cheese
the cheese selection was never TG's core competence. Good quality you get only in F sometimes
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:35 pm

Consider yourself lucky that they did not only have their infamous "fruit cheese" on offer.

I might offer the suggestion that if food is a priority, one would be best off flying another major carrier other than TG.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:17 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I've had 6 TG flights in the last 3 years. The food has never been the star of the experience.

I have found lately that the food, especially in the lounge, has gone downhill quite considerably.

If in F or an empty cabin in business, you can usually get a large chunk of cheese served.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:42 am

Even in F cheese is disappointing. More like cheap cheese from a US supermarket. Others (LH,LX,CX,SQ from memory) have far better cheese selection.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:02 am

Well Thailand is not a dairy country. The Thai language doesn't even have a word for "cheese". The use "hard butter".

One reason for this is that many Asian are lactose intolerant and all milk products are rare and expensive. Even plain milk.

Cheese is hard to get in Thailand and good cheese is only available at a very few locations.

Maybe this explains why TG does not focus on cheese.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Fan2502
Well Thailand is not a dairy country. The Thai language doesn't even have a word for "cheese". The use "hard butter".

One reason for this is that many Asian are lactose intolerant and all milk products are rare and expensive. Even plain milk.

Cheese is hard to get in Thailand and good cheese is only available at a very few locations.

Maybe this explains why TG does not focus on cheese.
What a stupid statement .
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by pansted00
What a stupid statement .
Why so? Seems to me like a reasonable explanation why they would lack expertise on cheese. How would you fare putting together let's say a sake drinks list?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:40 pm

If I ran an airline and most of my F and C class passengers were Japanese, I would hire a consultant to select my sake. Most of TG's F & C class passengers are not Thai, so might that also be a good approach for them as well regarding cheese selection?

Thailand is also not a "wine country", so what about wine? Is there a Thai word for wine? Sure - it's pronounced "wine". Maybe the reason they don't even serve wine at two of their lounges in BKK is because Thailand is not a wine country?

I agree that "Thailand is not a cheese country" is a ridiculous statement. I believe that TG's rationale for their cheese selection or lack thereof can be summed up in one word:

Cheap.

And BTW, Thailand is indeed a "fruit country". Check out the fruit selection in the photo that Magnus posted.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
does this mean that an airline from a country that does not have core competencies in engineering can neglect airplane maintenance?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
After I've consumed everything else during meal service, all washed down with bubbles and vin rouge - that looks like a fine portion to me (and I LOVE cheese), all that said, is the issue here the quality or quantity?

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
After I've consumed everything else during meal service, all washed down with bubbles and vin rouge - that looks like a fine portion to me (and I LOVE cheese), all that said, is the issue here the quality or quantity?

Cheers,

AG. :-:
BTW, you can request crackers if they don't offer.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Unfortunately, food in TG F is usually quite poor.
The budget is probably low, but more importantly food is tasteless. Mostly a juxtaposition of various elements without any imaginative cooking.
Very poor out of BKK, a bit better from outstations. My experience was usually reasonable out of ZRH, mixed out of HKG, but quite poor out of CDG.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
Originally Posted by brunos
Unfortunately, food in TG F is usually quite poor.
The budget is probably low, but more importantly food is tasteless. Mostly a juxtaposition of various elements without any imaginative cooking.
Very poor out of BKK, a bit better from outstations. My experience was usually reasonable out of ZRH, mixed out of HKG, but quite poor out of CDG.
I've never had good food out of CDG on any airline including Air France. However I disagree on first food on TG. Recently the Thai Exec set meal has been extremely good, as is the jok as an in flight 'snack' - in reality a meal.

I find western food on TG off at times, but I find Asian food on EU airlines equally odd - at times.

Last edited by aislealways; Jun 14, 2014 at 7:06 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by aislealways
I've never had good food out of CDG on any airline including Air France. However I disagree on first food on TG. Recently the Thai Exec set meal has been extremely good, as is the jok as an in flight 'snack' - in reality a meal.

I find western food on TG off at times, but I find Asian food on EU airlines equally odd - at times.
In large airports like LHR, CDG or FRA, any airline can work to get excellent food in F.

Unfortunately AF is not a reference in terms of food, even in F out of CDG, but that has mostly to do with how much they are willing to spend. However, their starter, main dish and dessert in F is better than on TG (even AF J can be better than TG F). I have taken many airlines in F out of CDG and found that the food on SQ, EK, EY, NH can be superb (MH is quite nice, CX is average). But TG is really poor.

I find BA F food out of LHR excellent too, as well as from many outstations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.