Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance for check-in on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2023, 12:58 am
formerly 1984SW
Original Poster

Programs: UA

If checking in with TG with separate J class tickets: TG BKK-NRT & UA NRT-IAH, which baggage allowance would apply: the piece allowance (2 pc @ 32kg) for Asia-USA flights, or the weight allowance (40kg) for intra-Asia flights?
Old May 28, 2023, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by wpcoe
If checking in with TG with separate J class tickets: TG BKK-NRT & UA NRT-IAH, which baggage allowance would apply: the piece allowance (2 pc @ 32kg) for Asia-USA flights, or the weight allowance (40kg) for intra-Asia flights?
The 2 piece concept only applies for the flights from NRT to the US (and there are a few other places like Taiwan)

So presuming that TG agree to check bags thru (they have no obligation to do so), you'd only be entitled to 40kg - note this is global allowance under the weight system, not just an intra-asia allocation.

Of course, a kind THAI agent may not be fussed - but you should be mentally prepared for the possibility of bag not being checked through (unlikely), and for ‘only’ 40kg (possible).

So, with separate tickets you have elected to carry the risk in those 2 areas. But the odds are you'll be fine - just not 100% fine.
SKT-DK and BinSabai like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 7:32 am

Programs: AS MVP GOLD; UA PREMIER SILVER
I’m not sure if this is the proper thread to ask this question. But I will be checking with TG with separate itineraries in a couple of weeks. I currently have a ticket on TG from HKT to BKK in Economy. Followed by NH from BKK-ORD in First. The layover time in BKK is currently about 10 hours. However, my layover is considered an overnight as the NH flight is currently scheduled to depart at 7am.

Although not guaranteed, it is my understanding that TG generally tends to check bags through on separate itineraries. But since the layover is also technically an overnight, does anyone knows or have first hand whether TG will check any bags through under these circumstances?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Wiseman99
I’m not sure if this is the proper thread to ask this question. But I will be checking with TG with separate itineraries in a couple of weeks. I currently have a ticket on TG from HKT to BKK in Economy. Followed by NH from BKK-ORD in First. The layover time in BKK is currently about 10 hours. However, my layover is considered an overnight as the NH flight is currently scheduled to depart at 7am.

Although not guaranteed, it is my understanding that TG generally tends to check bags through on separate itineraries. But since the layover is also technically an overnight, does anyone knows or have first hand whether TG will check any bags through under these circumstances?
TG are under no obligation to do anything for you with separate tickets, even though NH are *A and an interline partner. However, the TG staff will probably be willing to do so - I have done similar overnights before. Your plan B could be to fly the TG sector to BKK, collect your bag and then try checking in with NH, or store the bag at the airport. I assume you'll head into Bangkok for the evening.

I'm not sure, but I'd enquire first at the HKT domestic check-in to ask, as if you head to the international terminal they'd assume you'll remain air-side at BKK. I am uncertain regarding the current international check-in process, as my experience is dated. Others may be able to comment.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 2:43 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Wiseman99

You won't have a problem sending baggage to its final destination. The question is at which terminal to check in—domestic or international. My recent experience was that I checked in at the international terminal and immediately went through passport control in HKT. If you want to go out in Bangkok, you can check in at the international terminal and not go through passport control there but go to the domestic terminal and go through security.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyerby
You won't have a problem sending baggage to its final destination. The question is at which terminal to check in—domestic or international. My recent experience was that I checked in at the international terminal and immediately went through passport control in HKT. If you want to go out in Bangkok, you can check in at the international terminal and not go through passport control there but go to the domestic terminal and go through security.
And when you land at BKK, your international Thai A320 middle section departs from Terminal 2 at HKT and lands at D gates and front and domestic back of that A320 departs from Terminal 1 at HKT and lands at the S gates at BKK and you have to walk to the main terminal. I think you've been drinking too much sangsom...
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:39 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bwiadca
And when you land at BKK, your international Thai A320 middle section departs from Terminal 2 at HKT and lands at D gates and front and domestic back of that A320 departs from Terminal 1 at HKT and lands at the S gates at BKK and you have to walk to the main terminal. I think you've been drinking too much sangsom...
I think so too… (for avoidance of doubt, I refer to the Sangsom part, not the so-called advice!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.