Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Needing to present a credit card for award flights?

Old Oct 25, 13, 11:30 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by saranyc View Post
I booked an award flight partially on Thai using US Airway miles. Is there any chance that Thai will demand to see the credit card use to purchase the ticket? I'm not sure which one I used but maybe US Airways could tell me the last four if needed...
the question is to whom you paid the taxes for this award ticket. If to TG they will ask to show credit card in 99 of 100 cases; if to 3. party, they will never ask
Old Oct 26, 13, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ayeaway View Post
OK accepted that if you purchase from a third party you are unlikely to be asked for the card and when purchased through TG you are.

I was airside at BKK was already checked by EK my bags were interlined and hadn't gome through immigration yet so technically not even in Thailand yet. I just needed a BP.
But you purchased through a TG avenue and, as such, were subject to showing your purchasing cc.
Old Oct 26, 13, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
OK accepted that if you purchase from a third party you are unlikely to be asked for the card and when purchased through TG you are.

I was airside at BKK was already checked by EK my bags were interlined and hadn't gome through immigration yet so technically not even in Thailand yet. I just needed a BP.
But you purchased through a TG avenue and, as such, were subject to showing your purchasing cc.
Either take the card or don't take it. It's up to you.
This will go around in circles and for that reason I'm out.
Old Oct 26, 13, 10:53 am

Programs: TG Plat
Originally Posted by travelislife View Post
I agree with you but this isn't always possible. Say I have booked a ticket for my younger sibling who doesn't have a credit card, I am not going to give them mine to take with them on the trip.
Two weeks ago I needed to book BKK - HKT for my daughter, I would be on the same flight but transferring from LHR - BKK. I phoned London office and was advised that if I paid with my credit card I would need to be at check-in with my daughter in BKK, if not she would be denied boarding. This is in spite of me being gold, being on the same flight, having shown the card at LHR F check-in and being well known to the London office.
I booked the flight with my daughter's airmiles (without her say so) and paid the tax with my credit card and was advised correctly that BKK would not ask to see the credit card because it was an award booking.

The system stinks but imagine how much this type of fraud has cost TG.

I once sent her older sister to LHR by taxi as I did not have the time to take her but a British guy accepted the relevant 4 digits of the card over the phone i.e. he ticked the right box on the system having made a common sense judgement which no Thai in Bangkok would ever do.
Old Oct 26, 13, 11:27 am
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life
Either take the card or don't take it. It's up to you.
This will go around in circles and for that reason I'm out.
No. You are refusing to listen to the posters.

I will repeat what they have said (several times).

ALL tickets other than TG, 217 Stock:

1) No matter who or where you bought your ticket, you will NOT be required to show TG your CC.

TG tickets:
2) Pay for your ticket on the TG Website
3) Pay for your ticket on TG telephone reservations

You will be required to show CC.

4) Buy from a travel agent (live or online)
5) Pay for your ticket at a TG ticket office or at the airport

You will NOT be required to show CC.

I hope my breakdown makes more sense to everyone. It`s really very simple.

Originally Posted by andyptrav View Post
The system stinks but imagine how much this type of fraud has cost TG.
The reason is only because Thai refuse to upgrade their policies and systems. At one time very few places and websites would take credit cards in Thailand. TG would book over the phone and ask to see the card.

10 or 20 years have since passed. Most major airlines have updated their systems. Thai Air Asia will allow anyone to book for anyone without showing the credit card, as long as the travel starts 24 hours after the purchase.

THAI Airways could update their system, but they won`t for 2 reasons. First of all, all Thai policies are correct and not subject to criticism. Second, they refuse to self assess, so will never see the need.

Reality is that most airlines have entered into the 21st century and have updated credit card agents with security sufficient to eliminate fraudulent use. In Thailand, TG and PG are the only airlines I know of that require to show the card.
Old Oct 26, 13, 6:23 pm

Programs: QF Gold

+1 seanthepilot. It is really so simple. I also didn't get an apology for putting words in my mouth and accusing me of 'not being helpful' by giving accurate correct information.
Old Oct 26, 13, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by seanthepilot View Post
In Thailand, TG and PG are the only airlines I know of that require to show the card.
Pretty sure Nok (DD) also have the policy.

+1 seanthepilot. It is really so simple. I also didn't get an apology for putting words in my mouth and accusing me of 'not being helpful' by giving accurate correct information.
Don't hold your breath awaiting one.
Old Oct 26, 13, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Originally Posted by seanthepilot View Post
In Thailand, TG and PG are the only airlines I know of that require to show the card.
Pretty sure Nok (DD) also have the policy.

Don't hold your breath awaiting one.
I accepted that if you purchase from a third party you are unlikely to get asked for the card and now been told you will NOT be asked for the card.

If it makes all concerned happy then here goes.

Deep breath...... I'm sorry. There there all better now.

I will still carry the cards used for booking and advise anybody else to do so. Just in case.
Old Oct 26, 13, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
I will still carry the cards used for booking and advise anybody else to do so. Just in case.
+1 ^

If those choose not to carry the relevant credit card used for any portion of the booking - well then, that's their (potential) problem!

The End.

Cheers,

AG. :-:

Search this Thread
Search Engine: