Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG679 Runway incident at BKK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by transpac

Aircraft is HS-TEF, christened place-name Song Dao (in Sakhon Nakhon), which might mean "two stars"?

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/417...08/9705227707/
Just correction. Song Dao | ส่องดาว means "To observe the stars".
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Agree with others here. removal of airline logos on an aircraft that has crashed or whatever you want to call this, is completely normal and TOTALLY understandable. No airline wants plane load after plane load of people passing a downed aircraft with their company logo on it.

Why not a few words of congratulations on the crews handling of the incident. The evacuation seems to have been carried out well and nobody has lost their life. A few injuries during emergency evacuation of an airliner are expected due to the height of the slides.

So... well done to the crew on getting everyone out alive. It could have been a lot worse.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
How about a few examples of other carriers that have blacked-out their airline name and logos on aircraft within hours of a significant incident?

I ask because I don't recall seeing it from a major airline before.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
How about a few examples of other carriers that have blacked-out their airline name and logos on aircraft within hours of a significant incident?

SAS SK751 in 1991 near Stockholm to name one.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by kkdenmark
SAS SK751 in 1991 near Stockholm to name one.
So one example from 22-years ago?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
The BA 777 that crashed landed at LHR in 2008 stayed on the runway for quite some time and I don't remember any blacking out of the BA logo .
Same for the Asiana crash at SFO .
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: TG/ROP*P; CX OW/G; LH M&M; UN Privilege; KC Nomad; IT Kingclub; SPG Platinum
TG679 Crash Landing at BKK

most recent similar case (in relation to painting the aircraft after incident)

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20130202-0

however they painted the whole plane in white color over night. not only the corporate logos/names.

i understand painting a/c and its normal to the industry. however only the logo but not the whole airframe, like in this case, makes no deeper sense to me. everyone can identify this as a THAI aircraft still.

true and yes, Aussie_flyer, gratulations to the aircrew avoiding worse.

...cannot recall Asiana painted its 777 in the recent case?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Anybody know if there are still delays. Flying to BKK in a couple of hours.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: TG/ROP*P; CX OW/G; LH M&M; UN Privilege; KC Nomad; IT Kingclub; SPG Platinum

just passed the site (on my way to my mext flight).

HS-TEF sits very near to the runway, half way down 19L - basically just off the middle of the runway. still now, lots of vehicles and crew attending the plane. no wonder they had to limit 19L for small aircraft only...
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by boogey
most recent similar case (in relation to painting the aircraft after incident)

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=20130202-0

however they painted the whole plane in white color over night. not only the corporate logos/names.

i understand painting a/c and its normal to the industry. however only the logo but not the whole airframe, like in this case, makes no deeper sense to me. everyone can identify this as a THAI aircraft still.

true and yes, Aussie_flyer, gratulations to the aircrew avoiding worse.

...cannot recall Asiana painted its 777 in the recent case?
Asiana did not alter the aircraft at SFO after the crash. It sat next to the runway for a few days before being removed to another part of the airport, where it was still visible.

In fact, other than these two examples (one of which is rather ancient in aviation terms and the other is a turbo-prop on a regional flight), I am not aware of any custom or standard in concealing airline logos when an incident occurs.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:33 am

@5khours

just checked the announcements at departure board at BKK.
very few delays. if any, not more than 30mins, except ET to KUL which is delayed a lot. i didnt see any TG flight to be announced delayed.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:45 am

CNN taking note of the new paint job....
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
Maybe an idea to overpaint the orchid with the Lufthansa logo or British Airways for total coverage
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin

There was a Delta commuter plane at St George Utah last year where a pilot broke into the airport at night, started the plane and then committed suicide on board.

Logos were very quickly covered, if you search for news reports from that incident I'm sure you will see the very anonymous plane with the tail logo gone.

Edited to Add: After looking at the TG incident photos not sure what the point of blacking it out was, given the distinctive livery!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
pitiful

Painting out the name is an old maritime tradition. If they didn't do that people would still be talking about the Titanic.
Maybe it is time for a new tradition: "It is what it is".

Last edited by Orion; Sep 9, 2013 at 8:19 am Reason: I left out the word "old". I hate that word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.