Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

tg mid air incident? anyone knows about this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
No definitely not. The A380 involved in the incident left Hongkong around 1800. I was in the lounge in HKG waiting for my flight.
You are right. I got confused about dates. Did fly to CDG and then back to HKG.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K
Is this aircraft back on schedule? Im on 930 on sept 6 curious and hoping no equip change.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I think a lot of people got hurt because when they landed they didn't land in their seat. So if they hit anything hard then it would be really painful (that's why a lot of the fa's standing got injured). I'm pretty sure I bonked my head against the overhead bin but I think I am okay atm so it wasn't too bad. I think the other injuries came from falling objects such as galley carts, etc.
Yes, I could see that. A very common injury in basketball occurs when a player jumps and lands on another's foot. I would imagine all sorts of people landed awkwardly on arm rests, tray tables, and other people.

In 1992, I suffered a serious compression fracture of the top of my tibia when I fell into a ditch. The ditch was less than a meter deep, but I was running and I didn't see it. So, my leg was in a very awkward position when I landed. Those on this plane where in a similar situation in that they never expected to be up in the air and then land hard.

Last edited by dhuey; Sep 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: TG/ROP*P; CX OW/G; LH M&M; UN Privilege; KC Nomad; IT Kingclub; SPG Platinum

@LesPaul30

yes HS-TUA is active

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/hs-tua/
Old Sep 2, 2013, 3:12 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I was on the flight. Really insane extremely lucky i am okay
I wrote a post see: http://boardingarea.com/canadiankilo...ht-of-my-life/
i am guessing those that got injury (expect the FAs) are most likely never follow the instruction to keep seat belt fasten while sitting....

i still do not understand the damage is on the ceiling. does it mean the cart flew off to the ceiling? that's sound scary
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101
i am guessing those that got injury (expect the FAs) are most likely never follow the instruction to keep seat belt fasten while sitting....

i still do not understand the damage is on the ceiling. does it mean the cart flew off to the ceiling? that's sound scary
yes. or other objects not latched down. such as cups, cutlery, laptop cases, etc.
or even people's heads (that's why so many injuries)
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Confirmed

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 1, 2018 at 4:42 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Wonder what would happen if it was another a/c that got hit by that kind of turbulence. Anyway, landed on a MAS 380 one hour later than TUA had reached HKG. Saw that the outbound flight got cancelled and all pax got rebooked on CX. Plane ferried back empty at around 7pm for Bangkok.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: TG Plat
Are there any aerospace engineers or pilots here who can explain to me how an incident such as this occurs?

The common perception is the aircraft enters an 'air pocket' loses lift and drops like a stone, the passengers, trolleys, and anything else loose rise up hit the ceiling and when the aircraft regains lift they all fall within the aircraft.

This explanation is false, if you stood in a lift (elevator) and I cut the cable you and the lift are subject to the same force - gravity - and will accelerate downwards at the same rate (the only difference would be due to air resistance which is negligible initially and in any event only relevant to the lift), your weight would come off your feet but they would not leave the floor.
The only explanation to the ceiling damage I can come up with is that the aircraft encounters some sort of wind shear that turns it and simultaneously accelerates it in a direction generally aligned (but not completely aligned) with the downward vertical plane of the aircraft at a rate higher than free-fall. This explanation would also explain why items/passengers are also thrown across the aircraft. I had a quick Google and Wiki search but could not find the answer. Any better theories anyone?

Barack Obama, David Cameron and the current President of Thai Air all jump off the 100th floor of a building, Obama is the heaviest followed by Cameron and the Thai Air man is the lightest. Who hits the ground first?
>
>
>
>
>
Who cares?
I know it's old, I'll get my coat.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by andyptrav
The only explanation to the ceiling damage I can come up with is that the aircraft encounters some sort of wind shear that turns it and simultaneously accelerates it in a direction generally aligned (but not completely aligned) with the downward vertical plane of the aircraft at a rate higher than free-fall. This explanation would also explain why items/passengers are also thrown across the aircraft. I had a quick Google and Wiki search but could not find the answer. Any better theories anyone?
I don't know much about these things, but this has to be right -- free fall would merely make everyone weightless for a bit. There had to be a downward acceleration much stronger than free fall.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by andyptrav
The common perception is the aircraft enters an 'air pocket' loses lift and drops like a stone, the passengers, trolleys, and anything else loose rise up hit the ceiling and when the aircraft regains lift they all fall within the aircraft.
There is a downward component to the air that causes the aircraft to vertically accelerate downwards beyond the pull of gravity, i.e. experience negative G forces.

Due to the forces in play here, it is actually much easier to get injured during extreme turbulence than would be thought. Consider the negative G forces that were in play to cause people and objects to hit the ceiling. As long as the negative G forces are occurring, the people/objects will stay attached to the ceiling. Once the airplane is then subject to positive G forces, then the people/objects will begin to fall from the ceiling. If the airplane recovers to a normal +1G then the people/objects will fall at the normal rate we are used to falling at. But, as often is the case in turbulence, the G forces could be higher than +1G, and in that case your fall could be much harder than anticipated. If +2G is experienced, people/objects wall fall from the ceiling at 2x the normal speed. In the same regards, if the initial drop is -2G then you are going to hit the ceiling much harder.

Last edited by whimike; Sep 9, 2013 at 1:46 am
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
There is a downward component to the air that causes the aircraft to vertically accelerate downwards beyond the pull of gravity, i.e. experience negative G forces.

Due to the forces in play here, it is actually much easier to get injured during extreme turbulence than would be thought. Consider the negative G forces that were in play to cause people and objects to hit the ceiling. As long as the negative G forces are occurring, the people/objects will stay attached to the ceiling. Once the airplane is then subject to positive G forces, then the people/objects will begin to fall from the ceiling. If the airplane recovers to a normal +1G then the people/objects will fall at the normal rate we are used to falling at. But, as often is the case in turbulence, the G forces could be higher than +1G, and in that case your fall could be much harder than anticipated. If +2G is experienced, people/objects wall fall from the ceiling at 2x the normal speed. In the same regards, if the initial drop is -2G then you are going to hit the ceiling much harder.

so are the people in the airplane not prone to the g force as the plane falls in the turbulence?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
so are the people in the airplane not prone to the g force as the plane falls in the turbulence?
A strong downward force on the plane would not be effected upon the planes occupants who would simply be accelerating toward the ground at 1G (until the occupants hit the ceiling).

Do a little thought experiment. If you had a ball contained within another ball and dropped them, both balls would fall at the same speed because both are simply being acted upon by gavity. If you threw the contraption toward the ground then your force is exerted upon the outside ball only and the inner component would be pinned along the trailing (upper) edge of the outer ball because it simply wants to move at 1G which is slower than the outer ball.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
A strong downward force on the plane would not be effected upon the planes occupants who would simply be accelerating toward the ground at 1G (until the occupants hit the ceiling).

Do a little thought experiment. If you had a ball contained within another ball and dropped them, both balls would fall at the same speed because both are simply being acted upon by gavity. If you threw the contraption toward the ground then your force is exerted upon the outside ball only and the inner component would be pinned along the trailing (upper) edge of the outer ball because it simply wants to move at 1G which is slower than the outer ball.
Excellent explanation. Those of us who are interested in physics but not too good at understanding it appreciate such explanations.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37

so you're saying that in this case (flight) there were winds that dragged only teh aircraft down so all the occupants went up and clonked their heads on the overhead bins (those not securely fastened)? as opposed to the plane "falling"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.