Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

A380.....comfort light....Wi-Fi....new PJs....Rimowa kits.....

Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador

I flew in F on the A380 today (TG930) to Paris. I had flown it a couple of times on the Hong Kong route but this was my first time to fly long haul.

I was in 1K, and everything about the service was excellent, despite F being completely full.

However, I noticed that the Control panel beside the seat was not working and the Wi-Fi feature is not available. I asked one of the female cabin crew about the control panel, as I know from flying the 777-300ER that this is a control panel, and she told me that it is not a control panel now, its a "comfort light".....then she rambled on about the "software designer" leaving Thai and nobody taking up the position yet.....I was incredulous, so much so that I just had to laugh out loud at these ridiculous attempts to fob me off.

I still don't know if she was being serious or pulling my leg, but I suspect the latter....or rather I hope the latter!!

The on-board Wi-Fi equipment is all set and working but the Thai aviation authorities have refused to give the airline the OK to use it.

Very strange....wonder why they are dragging their heels on such an important competitive feature

Does anybody have any insight?

Also, it appears there are some new PJs available now, in a kind of dark blue colour. I got the gray ones, which I like, but some passengers got what looks like a nice darkish blue colour......oh, and the Rimowa amenity kits are back...yay!!!!

I'll try to get some of the new PJs on the way back.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The control panels kind of work.... sometimes. I've just come to accept that there will equipment glitches on nearly every TG flight.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

That screen thing is indeed a "comfort light" which is not very comforting if you ask me - right in my way and really bright..the FA may be right (or on the correct lines) that someone blotched up something and they just couldn't be bothered to complete the job.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Jeez!! Sort of working or renamed to conceal that it isn't working at all? They have been running these babies for half a year or so and one would have thought that they would have it all sorted by now? Make me wonder what else is "sort of working" on board.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold

5khours I don't think you are referring to the same thing. It is indeed a panel which just aluminates in blue/purple light with no other purpose. Absolutely useless as a light and as an LCD panel.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by travelislife
Absolutely useless as a light....

Au contrair. Next time I'm in the states at the parents' house I plan on digging up one of my 1980s black light posters. Oh yeah, the flight after will be a long strange trip indeed.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:59 pm
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
Glad to hear of your experience, Thaikwai. I flew the TG A380 in F recently and had similar experience. Service was particularly good.

The "comfort light" is quite a strange thing. My personal view is that it's not (and never was) a control panel. It's not removable and is awkwardly placed if it were for driving the suite's features. Besides, you've got all the controls you need for the seat and IFE right at your fingertips. As for the "comfort" light properties, it's just not comforting at all. Well, that's IMHO. But, yes, could be good for reading black light print. Nice idea, d^2

Would be great if they could get the wifi operational. What a difference it would make to those long flights.

What colour Rimowa did you get? I've got plenty of silver and whites, but have missed out on the purples and reds.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by travelislife
5khours I don't think you are referring to the same thing. It is indeed a panel which just aluminates in blue/purple light with no other purpose. Absolutely useless as a light and as an LCD panel.
These are actually control panels. They used to work....kind of. Maybe they have turned off the control function completely now. They have the same thing on the leased 777 and on the refitted 747s.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
What colour Rimowa did you get? I've got plenty of silver and whites, but have missed out on the purples and reds.[/QUOTE]

I got a silver one. Lady beside me got a red one. I will be in the A380 again three times in the next four weeks and will try to snag a purple or red one....and a pair of the new PJs!!

The main benefit I get from the control panel on the 777 is the lighting controls but there are not as many lighting options on the 380, or at least there don't appear to be. If the control panel worked I could tell what the lighting options are.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:08 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

The 777-300 is a Jet Airways plane. All TG planes that i know of have the standard IFE armrest controller and no control screen.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:18 am
hgp

Originally Posted by EzzerBKK
The 777-300 is a Jet Airways plane. All TG planes that i know of have the standard IFE armrest controller and no control screen.
TG has leased three of four 777-300ERs from Jet Airways, but they also have their own new 777-300ER's with the new business class... lovely machines!

I think the new TG 773ERs have the glo-panel in first... but I can't remember clearly.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by hgp
I think the new TG 773ERs have the glo-panel in first... but I can't remember clearly.
None of the new TG 77W has First class, only C and Y.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:35 am

They have them in the refitted 747s as well.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: Royal Orchid Plus & Kris Flyer & Qantas
Is Rimowa only available on 380?
Flew 747 from/to Sydney just recently (10 Jul) , they still offered Tumi which I don't like. Asked crews about Rimowa, no one knows anything. Previously, I have quite a few of Red and Blue and Purple and still hunting for Silver, still haven't got one though. Hope when flying on 380 to Frankfurt, Rimowa will be offered.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:06 am
hgp

Originally Posted by siam4us
Is Rimowa only available on 380?
Flew 747 from/to Sydney just recently (10 Jul) , they still offered Tumi which I don't like. Asked crews about Rimowa, no one knows anything. Previously, I have quite a few of Red and Blue and Purple and still hunting for Silver, still haven't got one though. Hope when flying on 380 to Frankfurt, Rimowa will be offered.
On a recent CDG/BKK flight in F, the FA told me the Rimowa kits are only used on the A380.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.