Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Save 50% on Award Travel‏

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Save 50% on Award Travel‏

Got this email from ROP saying I can save 50% on award travel.
Seems to have something to do with 20 years of ROP so I guess it's separate from the 50% gold award?
Anyway its a good excuse to find a way to use up those miles expiring on Sept.

With THAI, visit your favorite destination, explore a new one,or send your Award Nominees to their dream destination at 50% less miles.

Across 4 continents on the THAI network, it’s a great time of year to travel whatever your passion is. Ski in New Zealand, safari in South Africa, tour the capitals and countryside of Europe, discover the diversity of sights and cultures of Asia, all with savings of 50% on each redeemed Award ticket.

All members may book during 17 June - 31 July 2013, for travel commencing 17 June and completed by 31 October 2013. However as a valued Gold status member, we invite you to take advantage of an exclusive pre-booking period, now until 16 June, during which time you may also travel.

To book, call THAI in Bangkok 02 356 1111. When calling from the same mobile telephone number in your Member Profile you will receive top priority Gold service. Bookings can also be made with THAI reservations worldwide.

• The Award Seat Sale is for roundtrip point to point travel that must be completed by 31 October 2013

• Award Seat Sale travel is valid between Bangkok and
stated destinations throughout the promotional period subject to seat availability. Please note destinations and periods where Award seating is limited and may be subject to Award black-outs on certain dates and flights

• Award Seat Sale travel is not available between Bangkok and: Seoul, Los Angeles, Brussels

• There is no redemption limit for Award Seat Sale travel, only sufficient miles must be in the account for each Award redemption

• Once Award tickets are issued no re-credit or rerouting is permitted. This special Award cannot be used in conjunction with other promotions or Awards
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:49 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
Does the email come with a list of destinations and does the travel need to commence from BKK?

All classes of travel?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by planetshakers
Does the email come with a list of destinations and does the travel need to commence from BKK?

All classes of travel?
The full text is here:

The Award Seat Sale is for roundtrip point to point travel that must be completed by 31 October 2013

• Award Seat Sale travel is valid between Bangkok and
stated destinations throughout the promotional period subject to seat availability. Please note destinations and periods where Award seating is limited and may be subject to Award black-outs on certain dates and flights

• Award Seat Sale travel is not available between Bangkok and: Seoul, Los Angeles, Brussels

• There is no redemption limit for Award Seat Sale travel, only sufficient miles must be in the account for each Award redemption

• Once Award tickets are issued no re-credit or rerouting is permitted. This special Award cannot be used in conjunction with other promotions or Awards
True Thai Style, the "if you cannot read this e-mail, click here" link goes to the URL I just referenced above + a 4 digit ID string that then personalizes the page with the ROP member's real name. Not only is it a poxy 4 digit numerical string but it is also sequential

You can pretty much enumerate the ROP Gold user-base by adding a ?id=xxxx, xxxx being 4 digit string and then adding +1 to it each iteration.

In 15 minutes one could make a python script to automate this and harvest all the names. Nice one, THAI.

Edit: Actually it's fully sequential and not just 4 digits. Starts with ?id=1 and goes up from there.

Last edited by forumpersona999; Jun 11, 2013 at 4:30 am Reason: Clarified syntax/sequence
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Well, looks like ROP only has 14,929 members. A bit of information I don't think a FFP would normally want to make public, but which they did by their IT department's incompetence. I wonder what the sort order is, by joining date, status, or some other criteria.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by A_Lee
Well, looks like ROP only has 14,929 members. A bit of information I don't think a FFP would normally want to make public, but which they did by their IT department's incompetence. I wonder what the sort order is, by joining date, status, or some other criteria.
Maybe they only counted who changed the PIN (or password) after new system launch.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by joy16
Maybe they only counted who changed the PIN (or password) after new system launch.
I suppose it's possible, but doesn't seem likely. They've been emailing me and other ROP members stuff all along and I don't know why they'd suddenly target this kind of an email only to those who updated their passwords. Especially being the update process is only days old. It's a general offer to ROP members, with nothing to do with the new system. Now I suppose there could be some ROP members who don't have an email, and those might not be included in those numbers, depending on how their system is programmed. I also don't know if they allow members to have names using Thai script only. If so, they might be separated in the database, being I didn't see any names in Thai script when randomly checking some numbers.

Regardless of the actual numbers, it's a real bonehead move by TG's IT department to be doing something like this. But then everything their IT department has done with respect to ROP as of most recently has been completely retarded. Seems nobody did even the most basic testing before they made the changeover. Not really picking on TG per se, because this is a very common problem with IT departments the world over. Even major corporations have some real bozos making the decisions about how much money to spend on IT and they're only willing to pay peanuts and end up getting a bunch of monkeys working for them that don't know the first thing about how to design world-class IT solutions. Well, that's one of my biggest pet-peeves about not only TG and other airlines, but corporations in general. Unfortunately there's not a good solution because there's not enough IT people to go around that can do a good job, and if everyone tried to hire just the good people, salaries would go through the roof.

Still though, simply hiring one competent manager who can properly supervise the monkeys and don't release anything that's only half-baked should be the absolute minimum any IT department strives for.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:39 pm

The offer is only for Gold and would only go out to those who have an up to date profile and not opted out of marketing emails so it is not possible to quantify the member base off this data alone.

Still, a sloppy implementation that violates e-commerce 101. These kind of ID strings need to be long and randomized.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:40 pm

Still though, simply hiring one competent manager who can properly supervise the monkeys and don't release anything that's only half-baked should be the absolute minimum any IT department strives for.
But here in Thailand not many people are hired on merit, right ?

It's usually corruption or nepotism.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
The offer is only for Gold and would only go out to those who have an up to date profile and not opted out of marketing emails so it is not possible to quantify the member base off this data alone.

Still, a sloppy implementation that violates e-commerce 101. These kind of ID strings need to be long and randomized.
Ah, I missed that it was only for Gold members. So I guess we know the minimum number of ROP gold members now. I wouldn't think too many members would opt out of being on the email list, being you could miss some important offers or news if you did. But yeah, I guess there are some who have.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:10 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Didn't opt out and didn't get the mail.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:38 pm

Looking at one of my earlier emails from ROP, April, 2013, it gives this URL:
http://www.royal-orchid-plus.com/ene...php?id=xxxxxxx
Where xxxxxxx is a number between 1 and 1127564. So I guess there were 1,127,564 members as of that point, whether those members include those who opted out of emails or not, who knows. And out of those, 14,929 are gold members, again not knowing if that number includes those who've opted out or not. So perhaps about 1% of the ROP members are gold members.

Even more disturbing with that URL is that it not only gives the person's name, but their ROP number, their status, and their mileage balance. One could theoretically write a script to harvest all of ROP's members names/numbers, and balances, then choose those with high balances and attempt to steal the person's identity in order to cash in on their miles. With the old 5-digit PIN, it wouldn't take much time at all to go through all possible PIN combinations and gain access to people's account.

Very, very amateurish security.

Starting with number 1, and incrementing up, you come to what looks like a Thai general very soon. I wonder if these generals and politicians know that their names and mileage balances are open for anyone to view like this. If they knew, they might have some stern words with the current TG president.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 5:00 am

Believe me,THAI has much more than 14929 gold members,at least 4-5 times.HA HA

50%mile is for gold member right now.
For others it starts 16 June 13.

You can start travel from outside BKK
but destination must be BKK AND BACK TO SAME CITY AS DEPARTURE ONLY.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: TG*G VA Plat
Well picked up A_Lee,

I got the 50% Gold email with the unique ID as well. Very amateurish and clearly a security issue.

I wonder what Lars has done to be #1 on the list?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet:20907135
Didn't opt out and didn't get the mail.
Offer not valid to and from LAX so perhaps you have a US mailing address with ROP and they didn't send it to you for that reason?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
nothing from Thailand as well

So our loyalty at home base is not worth their while?

glad BR is joining *A...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.