Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-LHR A380 Route coming soon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer
This is a daily saga! I think I'm just going to aircraft changes until 2 weeks before I fly for now
More like weekly saga, since THAI changes schedule on weekly basis.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Ha! Just checked my reservation for LHR:BKK in December (returning in January) and both flights are showing as 747. TBH I was looking forward to trying the A380, but I really like the F cabin on the Jumbo so all's well that ends well. Of course I do realise that there are plenty of opportunites for further changes before I actually fly
Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: VS, CO, BA
So, worth changing from MUC to BKK to lhr to BKK in order to get the new first on the evening flight or would we expect a shift back to the a346 on the pm flight?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
deleted
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by barnstaple
So, worth changing from MUC to BKK to lhr to BKK in order to get the new first on the evening flight or would we expect a shift back to the a346 on the pm flight?
I think that you got the spirit of the answer above.
TG play roulette with its scheduling of plane either on official schedules or last minute. No way to reliably plan.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: VS, CO, BA
Originally Posted by QTFLYER
deleted
Why?!
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Amazing.

The aircraft change as quick as the weather does in Thailand.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:43 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
A380 Delay for Thai Airways’ London-Bangkok fleet

TG Press Release

Thai Airways regrets to announce that due to important technical modifications, the A380 will not be able to commence its operation on the Heathrow- Bangkok route as planned from December 1, 2013. Tentative operational date has been set on 30 October 2014.
When introduced, the A380, the world’s largest aircraft will operate the London-Bangkok day flight whilst the A346 will be re-introduced to the overnight flight.
Until next winter and the introduction of the A380, Thai Airways will continue to use its B747 on the route, leading on to over 70 cities across 5 continents. THAI constantly has special promotions so check out the website for the latest deals.
The introduction of the A380 will make flying between London and Bangkok an even more enjoyable and unforgettable experience and we can only apologise for the unforeseen delay.
Further information: www.thaiairways.co.uk; 0844 561 0911.
Thai UK Website
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:45 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
A jumbo delay for THAI

The plans by Thai Airways International to begin flying the A380 jumbo jet airliner to London in December have been set back by at least 11 months.

Thai Airways confirmed the delay in a low-key press release posted on its UK website.

"Thai Airways regrets to announce that due to important technical modifications, the A380 will not be able to commence its operation on the Heathrow-Bangkok route as planned from Dec. 1, 2013," the statement said. "Tentative operational date has been set on Oct. 30, 2014."

According to the airline, the blow to THAI operations is the fault of the manufacturer, Airbus. Because of assembly and construction problems with the aircraft, Airbus must modify the wing tips to prevent cracking.

The assembly line delay is because of what Airbus calls "wing rib feet modifications". The company hopes the design and assembly changes will prevent further problems with cracks in the wings.

THAI took delivery of its first A380 last September, and began using the aircraft immediately on flights to Singapore and Hong Kong.

THAI has already received four A380s from an order of six of the long-haul planes. The planes also serve Paris, Tokyo and Frankfurt.

The two outstanding deliveries are due to fly to London and Sydney.

Because of the delays in the delivery of the next jumbo, the airline has been forced to acquire several A330 jetliners to make up.

The overnight flight to London reportedly may switch to an A340-600.

The delay puts THAI at a disadvantage with competitors. For now, Thai Airways must continue to use its older and often criticised Boeing 747s on the London flights, while other airlines have upgraded aircraft and interiors to attract more flyers.

According to the same press release which announced the delay in jumbo service to London, "The introduction of the A380 will make flying between London and Bangkok an even more enjoyable and unforgettable experience and we can only apologise for the unforeseen delay."
Bangkok Post
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
I may explain how it works in the airline industry :

Thai Airways headquarters received a postcard from Airbus Industries these days saying that there are some totally unforeseeable major modifications to be done on a couple of A 380 and if they probably could take them out of service for several months later this year . There is a parcel coming with some bits and pieces , all is self explaining no worries .

Warmest greetings from all the guys at Airbus in Toulouse

After discussing the postcard having a Singha with some fellow people they finally came to the conclusion to delay the A380 to London til further notice .
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: TG Plat
TG916/917

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Ha! Just checked my reservation for LHR:BKK in December (returning in January) and both flights are showing as 747. TBH I was looking forward to trying the A380, but I really like the F cabin on the Jumbo so all's well that ends well. Of course I do realise that there are plenty of opportunites for further changes before I actually fly
From 27 October TG916/917 will change to A340-600 so you need to change quick if you want 747 F and are on either of those. TG910/911 will remain 747
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
As I intended to suggest in my breathtaking post on July 9th of this very month , the excuse of urgently having to deal with " wing rib feet modifications " and therefore delaying the London route is of course utter crap . Thai Airways Plc did in fact annouce to establish a new A380 service to Osaka for the same period which is as I believe in Japan .

We wish them well .
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by andyptrav
From 27 October TG916/917 will change to A340-600 so you need to change quick if you want 747 F and are on either of those. TG910/911 will remain 747
Thanks - so it now looks I have 747 going out and the 340 coming back, but I won't be making any changes on basis it still could all change.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: UA mileage plus, Asia Miles
I checked with TG and the A380 LHR - BKK service has been postponed to Dec 2014.
I quickly switched mine to the CDG - BKK F class redemption seats for May 2014.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Originally Posted by xingby
Unfortunately, my LHR-BKK flight on Dec 7 now shows A340 instead of the 747 at time of booking.....still some hope this will change closer to actual date
Same for me , I booked for Jan 2014 on a 747 , now it is a A340 ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.