FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   A380 Economy Seat selection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1460478-a380-economy-seat-selection.html)

Cameron38 Apr 22, 2013 12:28 am

A380 Economy Seat selection

Well, it appears the Thai Website will not let you pick any upstairs economy seats if you pick Economy Restricted (the cheapest fair). If you pick the much higher priced "Flexi" tickets, you get the choice. Pretty crappy policy if you ask me.

Creole Spirit Apr 22, 2013 4:24 am

since about two year, Thai offers restrictions concerning advanced seat reservations to the lowest booking classes V and W - they both have access to rows 50 and beyond, and on the A380 its limited to Maindeck starting from row 50 only. On Upperdeck Thai offers a 2-4-2 abreast (instead of 3-4-3) and, therefore, these seats are first offered to those passengers who are willing to pay a little bit more. All other passengers will have access to Upperdeck only by (online) checkin (if Upperdeck is open for sales at all, because on some less demanded flights they try to save costs and staff and dont offer the Upperdeck Economy compartment at all).

Mchamp Apr 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Are you by any chance traveling with a child under the age of 12? On Thai's new A380's they do not allow children on the upper deck level, only if absolutely necessary they will. I applaud them for implementing this as this way business class will never be disturbed by a potential crying baby immediately behind them if they were to be seated in the last row of C class.

Or if you are *G or *P I'm sure if you notify them of your status they will kindly open it up for you.

Aussie_flyer Apr 24, 2013 12:03 am

Cameron38 - it's a great policy and just be thankful you get any seat selection for free at all as many airlines charge!

Cameron38 Apr 24, 2013 7:53 pm

No, Not traveling with a child. I'm sure this is just a $ thing. The seats are obviously held for people who are willing to pay a full fare class or have a "Gold" status. They appear to block the bulkhead seats downstairs for the same reason.
As to Aussie_flyer's comment: I've never experienced any airline that charges for advanced seat selection . At least not on any of the airlines I've traveled on (Thai, EVA, Cathay, United, Delta, JetBlue, Alaska, Singapore, Swiss)

Aussie_flyer Apr 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Cameron38 (Post 20648279)
No, Not traveling with a child. I'm sure this is just a $ thing. The seats are obviously held for people who are willing to pay a full fare class or have a "Gold" status. They appear to block the bulkhead seats downstairs for the same reason.
As to Aussie_flyer's comment: I've never experienced any airline that charges for advanced seat selection . At least not on any of the airlines I've traveled on (Thai, EVA, Cathay, United, Delta, JetBlue, Alaska, Singapore, Swiss)

British Airways, Qantas and more do charge for non-elites and more will join their ranks soon.

I don't see what the problem is, why shouldn't someone who has paid more have a better seat, and why shouldn't golds have a better seat??? You can pick from whats left at online check-in.

Fan2502 Apr 28, 2013 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Cameron38 (Post 20648279)

Most airlines block the bulkhead seats for people travelling with infants. The seats will be asigned at airport check-in if available.

Aussie_flyer Apr 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Fan2502 (Post 20664901)
Most airlines block the bulkhead seats for people travelling with infants. The seats will be asigned at airport check-in if available.

That is correct, Thai always block bulkheads for that reason, including in business class.

vincewy Apr 28, 2013 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer (Post 20648430)
I don't see what the problem is, why shouldn't someone who has paid more have a better seat, and why shouldn't golds have a better seat??? You can pick from whats left at online check-in.

If you really want those seats, just pay higher fare (there's such option during booking process). My booking allowed me to pick row 76 (fare class Q) and I thought the policy is very fair.

cmgalan Apr 28, 2013 8:28 pm

British Airways, Qantas and more do charge for non-elites and more will join their ranks soon.

Add Air Canada (lowest fare on Tango) to the list.

siam4us Apr 29, 2013 2:42 am

If it is true, I am glad that THAI now realises about premium seats for premium passengers. They should have had done it long long time ago. Otherwise what's the point to be loyalty and to be called royalty program. And if you pay more for your ticket, don't you think you should get a better seat ??

hgp Apr 29, 2013 3:54 am

I agree... it's a good and fair policy by TG which gives preferential treatment to pax who have appropriate FF status or have paid more for their ticket.

Cameron38 May 2, 2013 5:17 pm

I was able to book the one non bulkhead economy seat on the lower deck that does not have a seat in front of it (due to an emergency hatch on the floor I'm told), so my long legs will be fine! I guess there is always the chance some "premium" passenger will bump me out of it at check in LOL

crudger Aug 18, 2013 10:45 am

Do I take it that Thai will indeed allow website reservation of seats prior to arrival at the airport?

Cameron38 Aug 26, 2013 12:53 am

If you book your flight on the Thai Website, you can indeed pick your seats. Pretty much the same for most airlines now days.