FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Tell me about Thai Smile Air - Thaismileair (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1429383-tell-me-about-thai-smile-air-thaismileair.html)

Powers106 Jan 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Tell me about Thai Smile Air - Thaismileair

Has anybody flown this?
Where is check-in, can you still go to the Domestic *Gold check-in counter --- and do they have a separate check-in row or is it just mixed with Thai?
Same lounges?
Same miles earned?

Anything I'm missing? (one thing I did learn was that if you want to fly the "old" C on the online website you need to use the International booking tab, not the domestic tab if you want to find real C availability - though I haven't made a purchase yet it looks like all systems go. On the Thai Smiles redirect it is hard to find real C class only A320's or at least on the dates I am looking)

Thanks!
Powers

dsquared37 Jan 18, 2013 10:09 pm

There's already been quite a bit of discussion if you do a search within this forum.

Here are the highlights: it is TG in every way except new rock hard seats, no W/V cheap fares and crappy European style busineconomy seating.

Benefits of *G are maintained.

Powers106 Jan 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 20079628)
There's already been quite a bit of discussion if you do a search within this forum.

Here are the highlights: it is TG in every way except new rock hard seats, no W/V cheap fares and crappy European style busineconomy seating.

Benefits of *G are maintained.

Any good threads to recommend? I searched of course Thaismile, Thai smile, Thai smile air, thaismileair.com and didn't see that much in terms of actual experience flying with them, just a few comments here and there and complaining about being routed on them or someone saying they are going to try it. I've flown plenty of A320's so that part isn't new - at the airport, check-in, only bus gates, meals onboard?, brand new planes?, that sort of thing is why I opened a thread. Anyway, I found out how to just book C on the normal TG planes without going via Smile Air, so no problems for now.

Cheers, Powers

dsquared37 Jan 19, 2013 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Powers106 (Post 20079673)
Any good threads to recommend? I searched of course Thaismile, Thai smile, Thai smile air, thaismileair.com and didn't see that much in terms of actual experience flying with them, just a few comments here and there and complaining about being routed on them or someone saying they are going to try it. I've flown plenty of A320's so that part isn't new - at the airport, check-in, only bus gates, meals onboard?, brand new planes?, that sort of thing is why I opened a thread. Anyway, I found out how to just book C on the normal TG planes without going via Smile Air, so no problems for now.

Cheers, Powers

Checkin: Same as TG
Bags: *G allowance
Lounge: *G allowance
Price: Higher than TG
Gates: Apron or jetway; dom and int destination so same bus gate hassle
Meals (Y): Bag with snack and water bottle. garbage not picked up.
New planes: Yes, with rock hard seats.

Conclusion: Higher prices, less comfort, no C = Avoid when possible. :D

Aussie_flyer Jan 19, 2013 5:20 am

well not necessarily higher prices. e.g. Tg mainline don't fly to Macau so there is no comparison. and on a through fare from international city to bkk then on to domestic Tg smile flight there is no difference in price.

Thai smile is mostly the same on the ground as TG. it's just a bit of a cost cutting measure to pay the crews less I think.

soy Jan 19, 2013 5:38 am

Do they earn points in other *A programs, or just in ROP?
When you say *G benefits are maintained - is that for all *A programs or just TG*G members?

dsquared37 Jan 19, 2013 8:29 am

Originally Posted by dazz81 (Post 20080787)
well not necessarily higher prices. e.g. Tg mainline don't fly to Macau so there is no comparison. and on a through fare from international city to bkk then on to domestic Tg smile flight there is no difference in price.

Thai smile is mostly the same on the ground as TG. it's just a bit of a cost cutting measure to pay the crews less I think.

If TG mainline has W/V fares available then Thai Smile is more expensive because they do not support the discount specials of the mainline. Otherwise, on a fare by fare basis, I believe the cost is identical.

Originally Posted by soy (Post 20080833)
Do they earn points in other *A programs, or just in ROP?
When you say *G benefits are maintained - is that for all *A programs or just TG*G members?

Yes. For all *A you'll earn with Thai Smile as if it was TG mainline.

Sam Drucker Jan 21, 2013 5:21 am

I haven't flown Smile yet. But from what I've read, the "inflight entertainment" is better. The cabin crews are not standard TG crews; they are all newly-hired 20-somethings, and I believe also female-only. ;)

dsquared37 Jan 21, 2013 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker (Post 20092175)
I haven't flown Smile yet. But from what I've read, the "inflight entertainment" is better. The cabin crews are not standard TG crews; they are all newly-hired 20-somethings, and I believe also female-only. ;)

Think Air Asia or Nok Air with orange uniforms. ;)

TJPACIFIC Jan 27, 2013 8:18 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 20092388)
Think Air Asia or Nok Air with orange uniforms. ;)

I agreed, I've flown the Thai Smile HKT-CNX last week. The service, food, and seat pitch in regular economy are the same as FD and DD. One sandwich and a bottle of water in a fancy bag are free, other than that you have to purchase.:td:

Powers106 Feb 28, 2013 11:42 am

Okay, the hack of being able to book BKK-HKT in business by choosing the International tab on the Thai website (and thereby avoiding Thai Smiles) seems to be fixed/broken. Is there any other way to book on real Thai flights online at the moment? Expedia seems to be authorizing it, but can't work it out on thaiairways.com.

Cheers, Powers

dsquared37 Mar 2, 2013 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Powers106 (Post 20334044)
Okay, the hack of being able to book BKK-HKT in business by choosing the International tab on the Thai website (and thereby avoiding Thai Smiles) seems to be fixed/broken. Is there any other way to book on real Thai flights online at the moment? Expedia seems to be authorizing it, but can't work it out on thaiairways.com.

Cheers, Powers

The preponderance of flights on this route are still TG mainline. Just book away from TG 7xx flights.

A_Lee Mar 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 20081551)
If TG mainline has W/V fares available then Thai Smile is more expensive because they do not support the discount specials of the mainline. Otherwise, on a fare by fare basis, I believe the cost is identical.

Actually, I notice they now have a promotion on their website that does beat mainline TG's specials:

http://www.thaismileair.com/thaismil...g_smile_en.htm

vs.

http://www.thaiairways.com/offers/sp...spiring_en.htm

Example, BKK-CNX in W, excluding taxes, 1820 THB for weekday flights on Thai Smile, vs. 2135 THB for TG mainline.

dsquared37 Mar 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by A_Lee (Post 20403641)
Actually, I notice they now have a promotion on their website that does beat mainline TG's specials:

http://www.thaismileair.com/thaismil...g_smile_en.htm

vs.

http://www.thaiairways.com/offers/sp...spiring_en.htm

Example, BKK-CNX in W, excluding taxes, 1820 THB for weekday flights on Thai Smile, vs. 2135 THB for TG mainline.

Well after I posted that, sometime in mid-February, seanthepilot spotted this and posted though I'm not sure where. The prices are pretty good actually but what i don't understand the publishing of Q fares. Unless trying to push 'upgrades' it's rather superfluous since W/V are acruable for mileage on domestic flights.

The fare discrepancy between M-Th and F-Sun is also rather interesting.

A_Lee Mar 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 20403720)
The prices are pretty good actually but what i don't understand the publishing of Q fares. Unless trying to push 'upgrades' it's rather superfluous since W/V are acruable for mileage on domestic flights.

Perhaps Q is changeable, whereas V/W aren't? Or the change/cancellation fee is different?

Nok or Air Asia I think are probably normally still cheaper, but I'd personally choose Thai Smile or either of them. For the little extra, it's worth it to be earning miles, get my extra baggage allowance if necessary, and knowing that TG customer service is behind it.