Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurants at Suvarnabhumi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure where to start this thread, mod if it doesn't fit here please relocate.

I'm flying to BKK with a group of family. Three hours later, another group will arrive. I was thinking it would be easier for the first group to wait for the second group then we all travel in a van to our hotel.

As the first group is flying into BKK on Scoot around dinner time, I'm wondering if there's a nice restaurant at Suvarnabhumi where the first group can have dinner while waiting for the second group to arrive?

If I'm not mistaken all the nice restaurants (eg. Mango Tree) are at the departures level. Is it even possible for arriving passengers to go upstairs and eat at the restaurants there, then exit the airport? If not, can anyone recommend a good restaurant to have dinner for arriving passengers?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
All restaurants are between arrival and departure levels
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I wouldn't hang around BKK for three hours to wait for family. Go to your hotel and meet them there.

Departures level has a fair number of restaurants but they're all (or almost all) after immigration and security, so arriving pax don't have access to them.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:50 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

I second DR HFH and all the ones landside are rather poor
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
There used to be a Thai food court on Level 1, off to the side, with very reasonable prices, if you like Thai food in that type of a setting.

Since the train to BKK opened, there's also some restaurants in the basement, including a Subway sandwich shop.

I don't know that any of those would qualify though as "good", which is very subjective. But if the family is Thai and are used to eating at Thai food courts, then at least they can have a large selection to pick and choose from. The atmosphere naturally is just your basic food court though.

I would imagine there's some higher end restaurants in the Novotel, but I would assume you'd end up spending a lot there and not get very good value for your money.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by A_Lee
There used to be a Thai food court on Level 1, off to the side, with very reasonable prices, if you like Thai food in that type of a setting.
Magic Point Food Court, Floor 1, Door 7. probably the best food in the airport.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:43 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by kapitan
These restaurants are actually pretty good - I don't remember which one I went to but it was pretty good. A bit expensive compared to similar food in the city, but not unreasonable.

(Here's a map of the terminal, but it's not terribly helpful. These restaurants are on the 3rd floor)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
And I should also say, "after immigration & customs..."
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
And I should also say, "after immigration & customs..."
By no means all, but most.

While everyone might be looking for soemthing different I skip those floor 3 establishments at all times and head downstairs to the food court if I'm hungry and street side.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Magic Point Food Court, Floor 1, Door 7. probably the best food in the airport.
^^ Ate there yesterday before my flight back to KL....Great local fare..
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I wouldn't hang around BKK for three hours to wait for family. Go to your hotel and meet them there.
Agree. Three hours is a long time and what if the second group is delayed? Get to your hotel forthwhip, check-in, and go to dinner around there. A taxi for each group isn't going to break the bank.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:16 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I'm flying to BKK with a group of family. Three hours later, another group will arrive. I was thinking it would be easier for the first group to wait for the second group then we all travel in a van to our hotel.
If you would like to wait 3 hours in BKK, I think it's a perfectly feasible plan. And not too long of a wait.

You may use some of your time to organize the van. Taking multiple taxis is quite easy and not cost-prohibitive too.

As the first group is flying into BKK on Scoot around dinner time, I'm wondering if there's a nice restaurant at Suvarnabhumi where the first group can have dinner while waiting for the second group to arrive?

If I'm not mistaken all the nice restaurants (eg. Mango Tree) are at the departures level. Is it even possible for arriving passengers to go upstairs and eat at the restaurants there, then exit the airport? If not, can anyone recommend a good restaurant to have dinner for arriving passengers?
There are 2 areas for restaurants, I will use simple terms to distinguish them apart:
#1) Outside of Security ~ meaning open to the public in the main part of the terminal
#2) Inside of Security ~ (both international and domestic) meaning only travelers and certain staff can access these areas before/after flying

#2 areas are overpriced, and there is no reason to stay 'airside'

#1 restaurants, as posted above are on level 3 (above arivals, below departures) and there is the food court on level 1, among others, I'm sure.

I think it's a great idea.
Meet your family and head into town together.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
There's also "Nad Jour" which is pretty much unknown to anyone except airport staff. You go down to Level 1, head outside, turn right and head toward the garden at the end of the terminal building (Domestic End) where you'll find it.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:29 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

Every time I went to those places between dept and arrival level I ended up smelling of fried food wherever I went. Not nice
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Another alternative is to go to the Novotel where they have 3 restaurants : a buffet , a chinese and a japanese . The japanese wasn't too bad last time I tried it. Not cheap though .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.