Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Retrofit status on TG's 747s

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Up to date as of December 2019.

Source of this thread are the information posted on this forum, a FlightGlobal article and the excellent article from Aircraft Interior International from November 2011. This articles shows pictures and explains the details of the new cabin and the retrofitting processes. This thread however provides an update on the original timing that was communicated back then by TG.

New First (9 seats), Business and Economy class (74N):
Complete:
HS-TGA, - Still flying, mostly international where F is sold as F, including SYD,
HS-TGB, - Still flying, mostly international where F is sold as F, including SYD,
HS-TGF, - Inactive / runway excursion in Oct 2018,
HS-TGG, - Still flying, mostly domestic, international as 2x class and international where F is sold as F,
HS-TGY, - Inactive,
HS-TGZ. - Still flying, mostly domestic, international as 2x class and international where F is sold as F.

Trip report of the 9 seats F here and here.

Recent First (10 seats) and Business but newly retrofitted Economy class with AVOD (74R):
Complete:
HS-TGO, - Still flying, mostly domestic and international as 2x class,
HS-TGP, - Still flying, mostly domestic and international as 2x class,
HS-TGR, - Inactive,
HS-TGT, - Inactive,
HS-TGW, - Still flying, mostly domestic and international as 2x class,
HS-TGX. - Still flying, mostly domestic and international as 2x class.

Trip report of the 10 seats F: Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3

F seats on 747 2x class operated flights:
F seating is now sold as preferred seating on 747 operating as 2x class (both domestically and internationally). Details here.

Other old 747s at Thai:
744: Have been converted to freighter: HS-TGH, J. Both are now retired.
744: Retired: HS-TGK, L, M, N. These were never retrofitted. They had the same F (10 seats) and C than the 74R above and an old M cabin without AVOD. All retired.

Conclusion: the complete retrofitting (F+C+M) of 6x 747-400 in Thai's fleet is complete as of January 2013, almost 3 years after its announcement, these are the "74N". The other 747-400s in Thai's fleet have somewhat recent and decent product in F and C (by comparison to pre-2013 standards) and a newly retrofitted M, these are the "74R". Phasing out of the type is ongoing, however it was announced in 2015, then cancelled then again several times after that. At this date (December 2019), TG still operates the 747-400.

Last edited by JamesBond_ppk; Dec 4, 2019 at 1:38 am Reason: Updated info / Added links
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
An excellent source of information! ^

This should be a sticky
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by SilverChris
An excellent source of information! ^

This should be a sticky
It is excellent! It will be even more excellent when they're all complete!!! ^

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: Velocity Gold

Just a pity they haven't gone with the new A380/777 business product, I know the 747 isn't rated for the seat, all the same still a bit sad to be spending the money installing a new seat which is already behind the competition.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Our thanks to JamesBond_ppk for his work in initiating and maintaining this thread!!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
I'm on TG641 NRT-BKK tomorrow, 9th, New or old config?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Rpcfly
I'm on TG641 NRT-BKK tomorrow, 9th, New or old config?
10 seat config in F.

The 9 seat Suites config seem to have landed on Rome and Milan at the moment.

By the way HS-TGA is confirmed as suites now. It is running to Munich and back tonight. A big change from yesterdays Munich run which ended up being ops by the 14F config!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
What are the new economy seats like? I just flew on a Thai 747 and the economy seat feels like it has a metal bar just under the seat covering where your lower upper thigh rests and it's damn uncomfortable, assume that's the old configuration?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
What are the new economy seats like? I just flew on a Thai 747 and the economy seat feels like it has a metal bar just under the seat covering where your lower upper thigh rests and it's damn uncomfortable, assume that's the old configuration?
If it has AVOD monitor installed at the back, it's new. If not, it's old.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
RPcFLY You will be on tgt, you will enjoy it, it's newer
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:30 pm

New F or old?

Would appreciate anyone letting me know weather my upcoming flights will be or might be in new or old F.

15th Jan TG476 SYD-BKK
15th Jan TG640 BKK-NRT
18th Jan TG641 NRT-BKK
18th Jan TG475 BKK-SYD

Many thanks in Advance.
B
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
TGZ and TGP should be the planes taking you to Japan, both Boeing 747's, so the way I see it, there is one old one new,but honestly they are both good, I confident you will enjoy them. the real oldies, the ones we used to worry about are not on these runs lately. You have lie flat completely super comfortable beds, and the food is good
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BKKROP
TGZ and TGP should be the planes taking you to Japan, both Boeing 747's, so the way I see it, there is one old one new,but honestly they are both good, I confident you will enjoy them. the real oldies, the ones we used to worry about are not on these runs lately. You have lie flat completely super comfortable beds, and the food is good
love to know where you are plucking the reg numbers from. seems you know more than Tg do themselves
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Can confirm that TGR is 10F config. I much preferred my flight to SYD on TGZ.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by dazz81
love to know where you are plucking the reg numbers from. seems you know more than Tg do themselves
if you fly as much as me and say hello to people then they will get to know you and they will never forget you. and then you get the inside access to information and they will consult you on important decisions. when i know it, i will tell tg and they will know it and then it will happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.