Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Retrofit status on TG's 747s

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just got TG'ed this evening BKK-HKG. When I booked this yesterday, it was new F. Got the bad news when I stepped into a ten seat F cabin this afternoon.

Oh well, only a 2.5 hour flight. Still a very comfortable seat and at least they've loaded the new entertainment content into the older AVOD system. Was looking forward to the F suite though. And what's up with the tiny bathrooms??? Lavs in business on the 380 are way better. But at least you're not going to get anyone kicking your seat even in old F, unlike that staggered business product.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just got TG'ed this evening BKK-HKG. When I booked this yesterday, it was new F. Got the bad news when I stepped into a ten seat F cabin this afternoon.

Oh well, only a 2.5 hour flight. Still a very comfortable seat and at least they've loaded the new entertainment content into the older AVOD system. Was looking forward to the F suite though. And what's up with the tiny bathrooms??? Lavs in business on the 380 are way better. But at least you're not going to get anyone kicking your seat even in old F, unlike that staggered business product.
I hope this doesn't happen to me. I have a trip booked for September flying to ICN from BKK. I intentionally booked BKK-PEK-ICN in F because I wanted to check out the lounge, however there was an equipment swap and I was downgraded to J so I switched to BKK-HKG-ICN.

I guess trying to predict what TG is going to do is near impossible

Last edited by cshel; Feb 24, 2014 at 10:40 am
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Worst J Seat in the World?

Flew the 4p BKK-HKG 744 yesterday and it was the new cabin version. However, found the new J seat one of the worst I've even flown in. In the normal positions it was horrendously uncomfortable with no proper lumbar support and surfing a pillow in the back didn't help much. Also the leg rest does not descend far enough for anyone over 5'-4" in that normal position. (Things are moderately better in the not quite lay flat position.) There is absolutely no functional work or storage space in the "capsule". And when positioned for eating, the tray sits too low and doesn't slide towards the passenger, thus making this an uncomfortable activity. Thank goodness I was only on the plane for 2-1/2 hours! (Though I have two more of these segments later this year but these are in F...BTW TG narrowly wins out over SQ's new regional J seats as "the worst in the world"!)
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Flew the 4p BKK-HKG 744 yesterday and it was the new cabin version. However, found the new J seat one of the worst I've even flown in. In the normal positions it was horrendously uncomfortable with no proper lumbar support and surfing a pillow in the back didn't help much. Also the leg rest does not descend far enough for anyone over 5'-4" in that normal position. (Things are moderately better in the not quite lay flat position.) There is absolutely no functional work or storage space in the "capsule". And when positioned for eating, the tray sits too low and doesn't slide towards the passenger, thus making this an uncomfortable activity. Thank goodness I was only on the plane for 2-1/2 hours! (Though I have two more of these segments later this year but these are in F...BTW TG narrowly wins out over SQ's new regional J seats as "the worst in the world"!)
That's interesting- I haven't heard a lot of travel bloggers rip on SQ's new regional seats, like Lucky or Gary Leff. Never had a problem in TG's slanties, either... may be flying the new 747 in C some in the near future, will let folks know about the experience.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
However, found the new J seat one of the worst I've even flown in. In the normal positions it was horrendously uncomfortable with no proper lumbar support and surfing a pillow in the back didn't help much. Also the leg rest does not descend far enough for anyone over 5'-4" in that normal position.
I've not been seated in TG's, but I have been in this same seat on other airlines. I really wonder if anyone actually used one before buying them. Fully upright & fully reclined are the only positions (for me) that approach any level of comfort. Everything in between feels contorted.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The J seats are not new. The only thing that was refurbed was the F cabin. If you want new J seats you need to fly the 380, 777 (some) or 787 (later this year).
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
The J seats are not new. The only thing that was refurbed was the F cabin. If you want new J seats you need to fly the 380, 777 (some) or 787 (later this year).
the 777-300ER to be more precise. all those 3 airplanes have full flat J seats
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by 5khours
Well they are 'new' in that they were replaced during the cabin refit. So the J seats which appeared in the 744, 346 and 772 (non ER) were replaced with the angled seats which already appeared in the 772ER and 773. I can't say I really have a huge problem with these seats, although I do recall finding the older version in the 346 and 772 more comfortable.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Well they are 'new' in that they were replaced during the cabin refit. So the J seats which appeared in the 744, 346 and 772 (non ER) were replaced with the angled seats which already appeared in the 772ER and 773. I can't say I really have a huge problem with these seats, although I do recall finding the older version in the 346 and 772 more comfortable.
some 747 have also the older version of the J seats...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
some 747 have also the older version of the J seats...
Correct...But not the ones with the new F cabin.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:36 am

yep
747 with F suites have also newer style j seats
747 with 10 single F have older style j seats
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
when will they be done with the F retrofit on the 747's
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by avm2806
when will they be done with the F retrofit on the 747's
They finished a while ago. Note that not all 744s will be refurbed...the 10F model will leave the fleet instead.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: QF KF
Flying SYD-BKK next Thursday on TG472 in F. Currently showing 10F on seat map however all recent flights appear to be with new F cabin.

Hopefully works out in the end...
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by hummel
Flying SYD-BKK next Thursday on TG472 in F. Currently showing 10F on seat map however all recent flights appear to be with new F cabin.

Hopefully works out in the end...
wishful thinking...flew SYD BKK in march and it was showing 9F and finally was a 10F plane...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.